Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not sure what to call this

Options
  • 01-02-2013 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,384 ✭✭✭✭

Maybe this would be better in humanities I am not sure.

I watched a program last night about Irish missioners, anyway one of the pieces was about a priest in Papa new Guinea, he was showed going to see a girl who was severely handicapped and was locked in a shed by her parents while they went to work the parents has to look her up when they went out as she was being abused by men in the settlement when the parents were not there...this place was wretchedly poor and the priest was doing his best to help.

This got me thinking is respect and care for women and children a luxury only available to wealthy counties?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

There are many things to call this.

Racist?
    Xenophobic?
    Neocolonialist?

I found your post extremely reductionist and offensive. Well done on judging the majority of the world's population based one on case study.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,384 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

There are many things to call this.

Racist?
    Xenophobic?
    Neocolonialist?

I found your post extremely reductionist and offencive. Well done on judging the majority of the world's population based one on case study.

I did not mean to offend anyone I am well aware that women can be abused anywhere including rich Western countries.

It is well know that there a correlation between poverty and abuse of women and children.

Or are you saying there should not be an exploration of the link between poverty and abuse because it might be offencive to people who live in poverty?.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

Would one not look on it as how a Priest can help and how we should appreciate priests and religious? We cannot forget that it was only a minority who were bad, the vast majority were good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

ravima wrote: »
    Would one not look on it as how a Priest can help and how we should appreciate priests and religious? We cannot forget that it was only a minority who were bad, the vast majority were good.

Given the historical saturation of abuse in Ireland of women, children, boys and girls, I find it a little hard to swallow, the nobility of the Irish missionary, going abroad to heal the hurt.

I just don't know what to say to that, given that so much goes unresolved back in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Frito

The sad thing when reading about that young woman's situation is thinking "the only thing that's different is the fact that she is being locked in a shed".

Even sadder is realising a few seconds later that her situation isn't so different from a lot of people here in the west.

• Advertisement
Advertisement