Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013 Cooking Club Week 4: Thai Green Curry

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭gagomes

I recommend you try the authentic version i posted its more satisfying imho. After eating it a few times you will never go back ;)

I definitely am willing to and bought all ingredients, except for shrimp paste as I was under the impression I had some already at home and turns out it was oyster sauce instead...

There's also the Wagamama green curry paste recipe, which I just found in my book. If anyone is interested, I can transcribe it down and post on the forum. At wagamama the green curry is named raisukaree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Phantom99

Hi Curry Addict,

I'm a big fan of your recipies. Will try this one next.

Any chance you have any chinese takeaway recipies like chicken black bean, satay main course(not skewers), szechaun etc?

Would love to try these out.

Not sure if you are aware of these Moy Park coupons. €1 off any Moy Park product so can be used for whole chicken, fillets, goujons, kievs etc. Expire 31/12/15 and can print and use as many as you like. Accepted in Dunnes or Tesco. These are normally on offer too like 3 (2 pack fillets) for €10 in Dunnes. I use these all the time.

http://www.coupons.ie/IPScreen.asp?Channel=&UserURN=&PAHKey=8221312553549

or alternatively

http://www.moyparkchicken.com/find-a-stockist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Hey Phantom99 - CurryAddict quite possibly has recipes like that because they are aces but you'll also find a great resource here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=68812198#post68812198

We had a poster who used to work in Chinese restaurants share a lot of recipes with us a couple of years ago!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Phantom99

Hey Phantom99 - CurryAddict quite possibly has recipes like that because they are aces but you'll also find a great resource here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=68812198#post68812198

We had a poster who used to work in Chinese restaurants share a lot of recipes with us a couple of years ago!

Hi Miss Flitworth - Thanks for that. Lots of great recipies there. I had no idea there was an existing thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,030 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

once you make your own paste there is no going back, you will be surprised how easy it is :pac:

I almost posted this in the Indian curry thread, then remembered this one existed.
    Have you and tips on a homemade thai red curry paste. I’ve started to tweak my currys more and more. At this stage i’m adding a good bit of my own chilli, aromatics, fish sauce/shrimp paste, and other thai flavours to a generic paste.
    I figure I should just make my own at this stage.

I’ve no mortar and pestle, I’ll be blending the paste in a cheap blender in a medium sized batch.

I seen the one from your North Thai/Burmese curry post (2012). But probably looking for a more traditional thai without the burmese/almost indian influence (ginger/tumeric).
    So I'd probably swap the ginger for galangal, and add shrimp paste. Omit turmeric?
    2012 Cooking Club Week 2: Burmese/North Thai Chicken Curry
    Kua curry paste
    15 dried red chillies
    1tsp salt
    20g of shallots
    50g of garlic
    1tbs finely chopped ginger
    4 stalks of lemongrass
    1ts finely chopped kaffir lime peel or leaves
    1tbs white peppercorns
    1tbs ground turmeric

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

thai red curry paste I have made a few times, the authentic recipe uses dried red chillies. I was never really happy with the result because the dried red chilli just doesn't give it a nice red colour you expect. Given the choice green or red I just always go for the green as its splicer. I do make a green curry almost every week. So if I was to make red again, I would definitely use fresh red chillies.

recently i started to add a tbs of lime juice to my green curry. this means i can add more palm sugar and fish sauce which gives a better overall flavor profile. I usually finish my 1 portion green curry with 1 tbs lime juice. 2-3tbs palm sugar and 2-3 tbs fish sauce.

Fresh galangal and turmeric root is more widely available now. so i use the galangal instead of ginger. turmeric root is not traditionally used in red and green curry but it does bring amazing colour even in small amounts so its definitely worth adding.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭irishproduce

I have to say, this recipe is great but I can't understand the stock being included.
    I did it about 10 times and it was always like a big watery bowl of soup with coconut cream separating from it. Other half then said to skip the stock. Bingo, perfectly creamy and good consistency.
    I humbly suggest skipping the stock :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

I have to say, this recipe is great but I can't understand the stock being included.
    I did it about 10 times and it was always like a big watery bowl of soup with coconut cream separating from it. Other half then said to skip the stock. Bingo, perfectly creamy and good consistency.

Interesting. I tried this recipe last week for the first time and it was pretty good, maybe next time I'll skip the stock. Although I didn't have a problem with the coconut milk and stock separating.

Also, maybe I was being an idiot but I also wondered when you should add the chilli? I guessed it was classified as a vegetable and added with the rest of the veg but it didn't seem particularly clear to me.

Very nice recipe though :)

i understand where you are coming from :) i used to be a big fan of the creamy irish restaurant version. I remember not enjoying this authentic version as much initially(its a big slap in the taste buds) but i still made it a lot at home. going to thai restaurants years passed without ever ordering a green curry as i wanted to explore other dishes. Then a couple of times i did order the green curry and discovered it was so bland and oversweet, compared to the authentic version i was making at home. I could never get used to the creamy version again, its just so bland.
    yes it is a watery sauce but the flavors are fantastic and when added to the rice it makes little difference.
    but each to their own :)

Interesting. I tried this recipe last week for the first time and it was pretty good, maybe next time I'll skip the stock. Although I didn't have a problem with the coconut milk and stock separating.

Also, maybe I was being an idiot but I also wondered when you should add the chilli? I guessed it was classified as a vegetable and added with the rest of the veg but it didn't seem particularly clear to me.

Very nice recipe though :)

yes coconut milk doesn't split, it is not a dairy product. I recommend the chaokoh brand.
    add the chilli with the paste, it needs to cook out properly. raw chili is very harsh :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭irishproduce

I found it to be almost a watery soup though when I used the even only 200ml of stock. I wonder is there a video online that you know of CA that will show the recipe similar to yours?
    I also note that once the stock goes in, there is now 800ml of liquid gone into the pan so a huge pan would be needed?
    I could never get 400ml of stock in, always only got about 200ml in before the pan was pretty full

I found it to be almost a watery soup though when I used the even only 200ml of stock. I wonder is there a video online that you know of CA that will show the recipe similar to yours?
    I also note that once the stock goes in, there is now 800ml of liquid gone into the pan so a huge pan would be needed?
    I could never get 400ml of stock in, always only got about 200ml in before the pan was pretty full

get a wok :D

i usually make a single portion for myself using 200ml of both coconut milk and stock. It does get reduced down a bit, it is "watery" but not super watery...

• Registered Users Posts: 39,030 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I was gonna post a new thread. But figure this is as good a place as any to discuss Thai curries.

The last few years I've really gone down the rabbit hole with Thai food/curries. I think I've a pretty good grasp of what defines each of the different pastes/curries. But are one if two that still elude me. The way I see it is:

Red Curry Paste: Dried red chillies and the usual Thai curries staples
    Green Curry Paste: Fresh Green chillis and the rest
    Yellow curry paste: Tumeric, curry powder, dried chillis, sometimes other spices and the staples. Made with more coconut cream.
    Penang Curry paste: Milder red curry paste, with peanut incorporated
    Massaman Curry: Cardamom, cinnamon, mace, star anise, etc. Dried chillis and the rest.
    Jungle Curry: Red or green curry made without coconut milk/cream
    Sour Curry: Dried and fresh chillis, lots of lime and tamarind.

But two that I haven't quite figured out and Choo Chee and Pad Prik Khring. I'm not sure if it's a chilli/spice paste or just a style of dish using and spicy red paste.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭picachu

Hi Curry Addict...
    Where can i buy the corriander root?

Many thanks

picachu wrote: »
    Hi Curry Addict...
    Where can i buy the corriander root?

Many thanks

Coriander root is not available as a product here unfortunately. Sometimes in asian shops you can buy bunches of fresh coriander with the roots still on. Another option is to buy coriander in the pot(most supermarkets stock this).
    Alternatively use coriander stalks instead.

Mellor wrote: »
    I was gonna post a new thread. But figure this is as good a place as any to discuss Thai curries.

The last few years I've really gone down the rabbit hole with Thai food/curries. I think I've a pretty good grasp of what defines each of the different pastes/curries. But are one if two that still elude me. The way I see it is:

Red Curry Paste: Dried red chillies and the usual Thai curries staples
    Green Curry Paste: Fresh Green chillis and the rest
    Yellow curry paste: Tumeric, curry powder, dried chillis, sometimes other spices and the staples. Made with more coconut cream.
    Penang Curry paste: Milder red curry paste, with peanut incorporated
    Massaman Curry: Cardamom, cinnamon, mace, star anise, etc. Dried chillis and the rest.
    Jungle Curry: Red or green curry made without coconut milk/cream
    Sour Curry: Dried and fresh chillis, lots of lime and tamarind.

But two that I haven't quite figured out and Choo Chee and Pad Prik Khring. I'm not sure if it's a chilli/spice paste or just a style of dish using and spicy red paste.

that's pretty much it, all fairly similar also. I still make a green curry every week with fresh prawn. Sometimes with rice, sometimes with noodles. Its one of few great dishes ill never tire of. Really fast to knock out. Nowadays, i add a small amount of fresh turmeric root to my paste as its so much more available. It is great for colour. I also have 2 thai basil plants that provide that great peppery minty flavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

Love a Thai green curry but I'm a bit lazy.

Instead of making the paste (which I'm sure curry addicts recipe is great), the Mae ploy pastes are very good and last for ages.

Curry addict also recommends the chaokoa coconut milk, asia markets are also doing a suree brand which is also very good.

And if you're going to an Asia market store, they have frozen kaffir lime leaves which smell amazing and must surely add something when thrown into the wok when making a green curry. They also (sometimes) stock baby aubergines which i have had in a curry, these may not be to everyone's taste but if you're into trying different veg in the curry the are worth a go.

I only frozen this once, and have not yet eaten the frozen batch. Is coconut milk suitable for freezing when in a curry?

Advertisement