Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PMT

Options
  • 31-01-2013 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭

Ladies I had the worst week ever due to PMT. I have never felt so low apart for when a pill that didn't agree with me. I rarely get PMT at all although I have suffered form period pains in the past. Is there anything I can do to prevent this in the future or to relieve it?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I used to take Evening Primrose oil capsules every day and they definitely had an effect on how I felt pre-period.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

Twee. wrote: »
    I used to take Evening Primrose oil capsules every day and they definitely had an effect on how I felt pre-period.

I tried them before but they didn't do my skin any favours and made no positive difference!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

I'm just off the pill, not looking forward to next week when I'll have my first "real" time of the month in a year and a half. It'll be owey :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

There's been studies to prove that a high dosage of calcium helps but I've heard conflicting studies about how high dosages can be harmful.

Do you exercise, Mood? Jogging/running. I couldn't recommend it enough. Has changed my life since I started last year. Back into again recently on a regular basis and mentality, I feel phenomenal. Even around PMT time (and like you, I get quite low for a week or so). Even around PMT time, I don't use it as an excuse not to go. Stick to your routine and you WILL feel much better.

I don't exercise but am going to start walking in a month or so. It's too cold now after work.

Any other tips ladies?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭UpCork

I've noticed over the last 18months PMT has gotten much worse for me. I keep saying 'I'll see if it improves next month, then I'll go to the doc if it doesn't'. It isn't improving, yet I am not sure what the doctor can do for me.

Ages ago I took Evening Primrose Oil and I didn't think it agreed with me - it made my skin oily and I just felt different.

I, too would be open to any suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

I'm on Day 1 of my first pill-free cycle in 18months. Was a bit hormonal during the week, but this morning my balance was HORRENDOUS. You know when you've a banging hangover and the room keeps moving? Like that. Is that normal?!!:confused::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭jaja321

Vitamin B is really good, I've found a huge difference taking it. I take two types one is Vitamin B-Complex, can't remember the name of the other one - but they work! I'll have a look later when I go home and post it for you. You can always go into a health food/vitamin store and tell them which symptoms you have - I'm sure they would be able to recommend something. :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,029 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I use Evening Primrose Oil myself and can notice a difference if I forget to take it. However you said it didn't agree with you so...a friend used to swear by Agnus Castus another herbal remedy. You'd probably get it in any health food shop. I tried the drops for a while but preferred EPO myself. It might be worth looking into though.

Starflower oil, and marathon cleaning binges help keep me semi-sane, and lots of exercise helps dissipate the undercurrent of murderous rage.

Hot baths and paracetamol help with the physical symptoms, but I really do recommend the Starflower oil for the moods, EPO doesn't even come close to being as effective for me.

• Advertisement

There´s no evidence at all to prove Evening Primrose/Star Flower works though.

Eve_Dublin wrote: »

Well if it works through suggestion, you just ruined it for me.:(

Let me know if you have a kitten I can kick or a balloon I can burst or something.:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Candie wrote: »
    Well if it works through suggestion, you just ruined it for me.:(

Let me know if you have a kitten I can kick or a balloon I can burst or something.:p

She saved you a few quid at least, I'd be thanking her.

Agnus castus I tried and it completely messed my cycle up. I was getting my period every 14 days with it. Evening primrose also did nothing for me

B vitamins are what my friends swear by. Never tried them myself.

I go thump my husbands punching bag for 15 mins a day around that time. Seems to prevent me from murdering everyone around me.

pwurple wrote: »
    She saved you a few quid at least, I'd be thanking her.

Agnus castus I tried and it completely messed my cycle up. I was getting my period every 14 days with it. Evening primrose also did nothing for me

B vitamins are what my friends swear by. Never tried them myself.

I go thump my husbands punching bag for 15 mins a day around that time. Seems to prevent me from murdering everyone around me.

Yeah, it was a joke.

B vits are supposed to be good for low energy, but I think I get enough from my diet. Punchbag or vigorous exercise really helps with the rage though.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I got a few breast lumps a couple of years and ago, and naturally enough freaked out as they stayed around for a while.

It was when I was pill/contraceptive free.

I got a scan done in St. James and the consultant scanner person straight away told me it was hormone related and to use B6/starflower and evening primrose to help it abate.

Worked too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭tomboylady

I used to suffer horrifically with my periods and every associated symptom possible. A few years ago I purchased a magnet (that you wear) that claimed to reduce all symptoms. I was seriously wary but at the time I was so desperate I would have tried anything.

I genuinely couldn't live without it now. My skin is clearer, my mood swings have subsided substantially, cramps and pains are almost non-existent, no headaches, nausea, nothing. PMT is pretty much non-existent. Don't ask me how it works, but it does!

tomboylady wrote: »
    I used to suffer horrifically with my periods and every associated symptom possible. A few years ago I purchased a magnet (that you wear) that claimed to reduce all symptoms. I was seriously wary but at the time I was so desperate I would have tried anything.

I genuinely couldn't live without it now. My skin is clearer, my mood swings have subsided substantially, cramps and pains are almost non-existent, no headaches, nausea, nothing. PMT is pretty much non-existent. Don't ask me how it works, but it does!

Where do you buy theses?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I honestly found evening primrose to work for me. Took it when I was a teen when I got bad cramps abs moods around my period. On the pill now so no issues to report :D

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭tomboylady

mood wrote: »
    Where do you buy theses?

At the time I bought mine online but I think they're available in some chemists now. I saw them somewhere a while ago but can't remember where...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

I use evening primrose too and swear by it. May be psychosomatic but hey if I'm getting the benefits of it I won't complain!

• Advertisement

Right. I think I´ll have to track down where I can buy evening primrose oil/star flower here then. It´s not so much the pains but the moods that get me. Last weekend was a total wash out because of them. Maybe I can buy it online...

What´s the brand you guys use?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,029 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I use Boots own brand, 1000mg Evening Primrose Oil capsules. It's usually included in the 3 for 2 on vitamins and supplements. I also take it for the mood swings, otherwise I'd be crying my eyes out over nothing most months. They used to do a super strength version that was 1050mg but that seems to be gone off the market.

To follow up on what I was saying earlier its magnesium with vitamin b6 and vitamin b complex, I find them great :-)

jaja321 wrote: »
    To follow up on what I was saying earlier its magnesium with vitamin b6 and vitamin b complex, I find them great :-)

Do you take them all the time or at certain times of the month?

Do you find it better to take vit & minerals at a particular time of day?

http://www.sona.ie/starflower-oil-1000mg.html

Do you take them all the time or at certain times of the month?

Do you find it better to take vit & minerals at a particular time of day?

I take the vitamin b complex daily and the magnesium everyday for about a week/10 days coming up to my period. I don't worry about the time of day tbh, just whenever I remember! I hope it helps you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭seenitall

I use this. It works for the moods and the tummy tension. I buy it in Boots.

http://www.vitabiotics.com/wellwoman/original_main.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Spud17

Ladies I had the worst week ever due to PMT. I have never felt so low apart for when a pill that didn't agree with me. I rarely get PMT at all although I have suffered form period pains in the past. Is there anything I can do to prevent this in the future or to relieve it?

I've tried starflower caps/ evening primrose oil caps, and a combination of vitamins, and I found none made a blind bit of difference. By trade, I'm a physical training instructor/nutritionist and a dog-walker, which means I'm outdoors most of the time exercising. This, and an increase in dietary fibre has changed my life for the better. Most of us aren't aware how important fibre is, and certainly don't get enough. My daily fibre intake is on average, 18-25g, but the week before I'm due on, I increase it to about 25-30g a day. No more bloating, and curling up in a ball on the settee reaching for the paracetemol.

It's not just period pains that an increased fibre intake will help with. Look at the research. Those who eat a high-fibre diet are less likely to end up with diseases like diabetes, bowel cancer, etc. Out of all the ways and methods you can implement to change a part of your lifestyle, this is the one I recommend that all lasses should try, at least for a few months. It won't eliminate pmt completely though, but I must say, I only have 1 crampy day a month, which is manageable.

I also try and drink more water 3-4 days before my period as well, to minimise water-retention. Other tips are to get yourself as comfy as you can - fluffy dressing gowns, pillows, warm socks, hot-water bottle, whatever you like, and basically pamper yourself with things that you like. Good movie, a bar of chocolate, a page-turning book, will help distract your mind. Never forget laughter as medicine. I keep a disc with some of my fave sitcoms on, which I sometimes put on to cheer myself up. Persuade your other half to do your usual chores for 2 days while you try to get some extra rest (sleep-deprivation caused by nighttime stomach cramps drives me nuts), and do something for him when you feel better. And remember, that we women suffer some sort of pain all our lives, and that's just when things are normal! This is why we are the stronger gender when it comes to mental strenghth, and why some men think they've got the flu at a mere sneeze. :D

I hope your pain decreases soon, and maybe you could come back and tell us how you are coping? All the best to you. :)

• Advertisement

jaja321 wrote: »

Why take vitamin b6 and vitamin b complex? Would you not be getting too much b6?

Advertisement