Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS1 Collecting

Options
  • 31-01-2013 12:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,773 ✭✭✭

Ok, so I'm going to really start beefing up my ps1 collection. Now I only have games that I picked up around the place and less than a dozen that I got off ebay. So my collection isnt anything amazing

So before I really get into this need to get a few things cleared up

Can I mod my PAL ps1 to run at 60Hz or do I need a us console?

Start getting NTSC games right?

Anything else I should know?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,541 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Here's the annoying thing about PS1 games - the software is 50hz. Not the console. So you can't just mod the console to display in 60hz like Megadrives and Saturns.

That's why it's so important to start an NTSC collection from the beginning.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Get a PAL console, mod to be region free and then buy nothing but NTSC unless it's a Europe exclusive. There's another console I need to re-buy most of my games for :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Why are PS1 consoles so cheap, most seem to be like 5 euro

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

nuxxx wrote: »
    Why are PS1 consoles so cheap, most seem to be like 5 euro

When something is one of the best selling consoles of all time and you live in a country that was second only to Japan for PS1 consoles per capita you get a lot of supply and not a lot of demand.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,147 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Plus the PS2 and PS3 are backwards compatible with PS1 - not a lot of reasons for anyone but the enthusiast / importer to be hanging onto the original console.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

makes sence

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

If I might chime in here.
    Most of my memories of PS games are from PAL titles.
    And there were a lot of them!
    Sure, there might be some loss of speed or some letterboxing, but I have a pretty good selection of PS titles, nearly all PAL, and I'm pretty happy with them.

I suppose the big difference for me is that I picked up almost every PS title via browsing through stalls at markets or through the game shop shelves themselves some 6 or 7 years ago.
    I prefer that to buying online, at least in this instance.

I can see the logic in, if starting out, just getting NTSC, and hope you enjoy building your PS collection!

One last word though, be prepared to be a tad disappointed in the visuals of many titles.
    Early PS games from the mid 90's look pretty dreadful while later ones don't look bad.
    Just don't lose heart when you excitedly pop in Wipeout or Destruction Derby and are treated to a screen full of broken polygons and massive pop up!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,773 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Ah I'm well used to playing PS games don't worry.

See if they were still available to buy around the place I'd get PAL but since I have to go online to get most of them night aswell get the NTSC

So console mod? Need a mod chip for that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

So console mod? Need a mod chip for that?

Yep, you will need it chipped.

Eurasia is good for PS1 chips. If your using the Phat type PS1 get the MM3 for your region. If your using the PSone, get the ONEchip

http://www.eurasia.nu/shop/default.php?cPath=52&PHPSESSID=24c76148da1544ecb8f3523ec074b805

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

There was a chipped ps1 on adverts recently for €25. Worth seeing if it's still there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Word to the wise, original style Playstations are far easier to install a mod to compared to the PSone.
    I know a seasoned soldered who get his knickers in a twist trying to mod a PSone for me.

Master of the Universe

Haha! :D

I think there was a wire on the modchips for the region lock that didn't have anywhere on the PCB to connect to?

It was the same with my PSone. Plays backups grand, you just need a boot disc to change the region.

/Edit - just remembered, you can also boot patch the images to the correct region negating the need for a boot disc.

o1s1n wrote: »
    Haha! :D

I think there was a wire on the modchips for the region lock that didn't have anywhere on the PCB to connect to?

It was the same with my PSone. Plays backups grand, you just need a boot disc to change the region.

/Edit - just remembered, you can also boot patch the images to the correct region negating the need for a boot disc.

Your PSone has the MM3 chip, which on the PSone needs a boot disc. The ONEchip is designed specifically for the PSone & gets around that problem so no bootdisc is required.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,408 ✭✭✭RedXIV

This is something I will probably look into soon as well.

I did manage to pick up a PSOne that has been chipped in travels but I don't know if thats for 60hz as the guy who sold it to me said it was for playing downloaded games (which he gave me a stack of on CDs).

Would this likely include the 60Hz mod?

Also, where are people buying NTSC PS1 games from?

Master of the Universe

RedXIV wrote: »
    This is something I will probably look into soon as well.

I did manage to pick up a PSOne that has been chipped in travels but I don't know if thats for 60hz as the guy who sold it to me said it was for playing downloaded games (which he gave me a stack of on CDs).

Would this likely include the 60Hz mod?

Also, where are people buying NTSC PS1 games from?

Read above, there is no 60hz mod :pac:

You mod the console so it can play backups and discs from other regions. If you put an NTSC disc on a region modded PAL 50hz console then it still displays in 60hz.

Master of the Universe

EnterNow wrote: »
    Your PSone has the MM3 chip, which on the PSone needs a boot disc. The ONEchip is designed specifically for the PSone & gets around that problem so no bootdisc is required.

Ah, that's what it was!

If I remember correctly, the image patcher I used can change the game's region to PAL to get around the boot disc, while still displaying the 60hz image.

So you in affect end up with a PAL region 60hz disc.

I think.

Will have to look back over my notes to confirm, it's been a while :D

Read above, there is no 60hz mod :pac:

You mod the console so it can play backups and discs from other regions. If you put an NTSC disc on a region modded PAL 50hz console then it still displays in 60hz.

Ah ok, think I just said it arseways, what I mean is if my PSOne has been modded to play backups, it can probably play NTSC as well?

Ah, that's what it was!

If I remember correctly, the image patcher I used can change the game's region to PAL to get around the boot disc, while still displaying the 60hz image.

So you in affect end up with a PAL region 60hz disc.

I think.

Will have to look back over my notes to confirm, it's been a while :D

It could be that yeah. If anyone here is ordering from Eurasia you should ask can they order a ONEchip for you & we'll swap it out to save all that boot disc hassle

Master of the Universe

Ah ok, think I just said it arseways, what I mean is if my PSOne has been modded to play backups, it can probably play NTSC as well?

It depends what chip was used in the mod. As Enternow was saying, if you use the ONEchip in a PSone then it lets you boot NTSC games.

If you use the MM3 chip in your PSone (like in my one), you can play backups, but you still need to use a boot disc for NTSC games.

• Advertisement

It depends what chip was used in the mod. As Enternow was saying, if you use the ONEchip in a PSone then it lets you boot NTSC games.

If you use the MM3 chip in your PSone (like in my one), you can play backups, but you still need to use a boot disc for NTSC games.

Gonna be fun figuring this out :)

If I have the wrong chip, I assume it can be easily switched?

Gonna be fun figuring this out :)

If I have the wrong chip, I assume it can be easily switched?

The wiring points on the motherboard are likely to be different between the two types of chip, so its likely a reinstall

EnterNow wrote: »
    The wiring points on the motherboard are likely to be different between the two types of chip, so its likely a reinstall

Cheers for all the advice on this, I'll investigate it tonight and see what I have. Will let you know o1s1n in case you want to double up on order from Eurasia

sugarman wrote: »
    Just something I thought of reading this thread, since a ps3 plays ps1 games, and the console itself is region free.. Does that mean it could play NTSC ps1 discs?

Isn't the PS3 still region locked when it comes to DVD's? If so, maybe the same might hold for PS1 software...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭martineatworld

I'm almost certain that the ps3 is region locked when it comes to ps1 and ps2 games. Shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Los Lobos

*shameless plug*

lots of ps1 games here :-)

http://www.adverts.ie/playstation/ps1-games/2562388

• Registered Users Posts: 5,773 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Thanks for the info lads, have one of those chips on the way and all. Right into my audiophile PS1 ;)

Next up a solid games list for purchasing!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

There was a chipped ps1 on adverts recently for €25. Worth seeing if it's still there.

I remember posting a link to that, 25 euro the seller was looking. It seems to be withdrawn/taken down. I paid the same myself for a modded one with a few games, seems to play anything you throw at it. Pal games pop up on adverts all the time, I'm collecting these at the weekend granted there are some lemons among them:o but for that money. http://www.adverts.ie/games/playstation-one-games/2592718

• Registered Users Posts: 10,539 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

A solid list of good titles would be handy. Im fairly clueless most of the time and even more so with ps1.
    I haven't one single ps1 title and I'm not sure if I should really start. Are the top titles expensive ntsc wise?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

This gives a brief description of some games, may be of some use to you.
    http://retro-sanctuary.com/Top-100-PS1-Games.html

Advertisement