Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming PC build HELP

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

People freak out too much about this. Static damage to electronic components is extremely rare.

You would need to be intentionally building up a large static charge in yourself to be able to do significant damage.

If you want to be sure just ground yourself on any metallic object that's in contact with the ground. Radiators are usually your best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

BloodBath wrote: »
    People freak out too much about this. Static damage to electronic components is extremely rare.

You would need to be intentionally building up a large static charge in yourself to be able to do significant damage.

If you want to be sure just ground yourself on any metallic object that's in contact with the ground. Radiators are usually your best bet.

Used to work tech support for Dell years ago. We go a new pre-production system in the office to play with. I was told to dismantle it completly to learn the physical setup so I did. Reassembled it and not a peep out of it. After a hell of a lot of diags from nearly everyone it was discovered that the motherboard was fried and the last one that had it working was me. It DOES happen, but was long as you don't wear socks on a cheap nylon carpet you will probably be fine.

Could do what we used to do (and what I forgot to do above). Make sure you have a power socket that has a switch that does work properly. Ensure that the socket is switched off and then plug in your computer. Touch the metal case of your computer - this should discharge any static through the earth.....and if your move around a lot, touch the case a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Kotan

I finally have the pc built and when i first turn it on it worked great, except it's in German(got a German version of Windows by mistake).

The last thing I did was install the drivers for the motherboard, then I realised I had to restart the computer and go into the bios to turn off the integrated graphics on the cpu and turn on my graphics card so it would use that for the monitor output.

So I shut it down and then pressed the on button now it's saying on the monitor there is no signal. I have reopened the case checked if anything came loose, nothing, and there is still no signal can anyone think of what might be wrong

If it's the mother board I have a

asrock h77 pro4/mvp

Did you move the dvi cable connection to the graphics card dvi output from the motherboard dvi output?

Yes and still nothing i was looking something up and one idea is i might have changed a setting without realising it was important and the best thing to do was reset the bios settings by removing the coin battery at the center of the MB and move the CLRTC 3 Pin jumper to the 2 of the 3pins on the right leave it for a minute to let the charge dissapate then put it back. It's supposed to work after that.

Because what i did do when i first turn it on I was going to turn my graphics card on and was told in the instruction booklet to turn of the integrated graphics but i did that in the windows hardware setting I deactivated the vga graphics card output. I didn't realise that had to be done in the BIOS.

But now when I turn the computer on there us no signal to the monitor so that's why I'm resetting the BIOS settings.

• Advertisement

Have you tried using the onboard graphics connection again to see if it works?

If you can't get any output from either output then reset the BIOS.

Yep that's why i have already gone done the route of reseting the BIOS.

Just about to put it back together to see if it worked.

Good luck. There is no need to disable that on chip graphics by the way. It can even be utilised for certain things. That board supports free use of the virtu mvp software which has some handy features.

Good luck. There is no need to disable that on chip graphics by the way. It can even be utilised for certain things. That board supports free use of the virtu mvp software which has some handy features.

Just put it back together and still nothing even changed cables. Eventhough I don't think I did. Could have I shocked a component and the problem is just manifesting now. Is there a way to test if the motherboard is gone. The only thing is when it is turned the fans are all going and the power on light goes on I'm at a loss to whats going on from a hardware perspective everything is connected

Highly unlikely. Are you sure you reset the BIOS?

Did you connect the speaker for the board to see if there are any BIOS beeps?

• Advertisement

No but dont have a connector on my case for a speaker, so is there any other way to check that the BIOS has definitly been reset or if there is another option that i can take if it is something else wrong with it.

The motherboard should have came with a speaker that looks like this.

Have you tried with 1 stick of ram and different slots. Are you sure nothing is shorting out the mainboard? I assume you have the power supply turned off when resetting the bios.

249448.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

My one didn't :D In fact, neither of mine did, my Z77 Pro3 or my older MSI one :D

My pro 4 did. I have a boxed pro 3 here as well, just checked and there's none with it. Strange thing to cut.

Did you use the jumper to reset or did you remove the battery?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

My pro 4 did. I have a boxed pro 3 here as well, just checked and there's none with it. Strange thing to cut.

Did you use the jumper to reset or did you remove the battery?

You talking to me? I took the battery out. I never did get to test beep codes. While my components were spinning up and my CPU getting warm (I foolishly followed such advice and turned on the CPU with no heatsink :D probably OK but foolish nonetheless).

I unseated the mobo at some point (not screwed down to case), and while connecting an HDMI cable to my mobo while it was on, it died right before my eyes. It wouldn't turn on again. I dunno what happened to it at all. Static discharge? I really don't know. Honestly, why it stoped working in the first place I don't know, I literally just took my graphics card in out out to see if I could fix my rattle issue (turns out that's just sagging of the far end, something I can fix with a support of some kind). When I reseated it it wouldn't give a signal to my monitor. The card is fine, I checked it in another mobo. Not RAM either. It's unlikely to be my CPU (wasn't touched during entire process, robust component, heated up while I turned it on without HS). So it must be mobo I assume. Weird. Been playing SC2 on a second gen i3 @2.1ghz - got to Master's as Zerg, my main is Toss, too haha ;)

This was a few weeks ago, only got around to sending it back last Monday; hopefully I will have a new one in a few days.

Advertisement