Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knife laws in Ireland?

Options
  • 29-01-2013 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hello everyone, I've been living in NI for about a year, but I was wondering about knife laws in ROI. At this point I'm ok here in the north but seems that the south keep calling. :)
    The law seems to be pretty strict regarding anything at all that is pointy or has an edge, but I was wondering more about how it impacts normal law abbiding people on daily basis.
    Is it ok to carry a folding knife? What about a multitool such as a Leatherman Wave?
    Imput and experiences in general, especially regarding interaction or thoughts of this from the police would be appreciated.
    What would be a tipical EDC knife for a Preper in Ireland?
    Regards,
    FerFAL

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭jugger

you want to carry a super stabby death stick !!!!!!!
    only jokeing this thread might have what your looking for

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056840011

my very rough understanding is

if a garda finds you with one your guilty you have to go to court to explain why you had good reason to carry one some judges will listen others wont

however if you have a good reason and a sensible garda then it should not come to court

your not going to be searched by a garda unless your very unlucky or you deserve to be searched if you the latter you should not carry knives :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 FerFAL

Thanks. I think the laws are strict and in many ways simialr to those of NI. Basically giving the police the power and leaving you with the full responsabiltiy of explaining "good reason" for having the knife with you. At least around here the general sensation is that if you're an upstanding citizen, goign about your busienss, middleage guy, dress like a normal person, the chances of cops giving you a hard time are pretty slim. Based on several accounts the worst they got was a recommendation of not carrying it around anymore if they had a mulitool with a locking blade, or even a folding knive being taken away. Again, very different from getting caught whiel rioting on the street, or being a youth stopped by the cops at 2AM in suspicious circumstnaces.
    In general, whats the reaction from Garda you may know regarding average law abiding citizens and knives? Do you know of any good guys getting into problems, even ending up in jail because of a folder or multitool? or is the power provided by the knife law used mostly in circumstances that would make it more resonable, like knives being carried insuspicious circumstances?
    FerFAL

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Have my victorinox in my pocket all the time and my leatherman is never far away, usually in the jeep or my bag if in the field. Never had any trouble with the guards but then again im not looking for trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 FerFAL

aaakev wrote: »
    Have my victorinox in my pocket all the time and my leatherman is never far away, usually in the jeep or my bag if in the field. Never had any trouble with the guards but then again im not looking for trouble.
    Thanks! Do you or (anyone else) know of any cases in which people that werent looking for trouble got into problems anyway? What happened to them?
    Example: I know of a case in which the guy used his Charge tti to cut the seat belt of an injured passenger during a car accident. When the cop arrived he asked how he got the victim out of there, he showed the cop the seat belt cutter in his Leatherman. The police officer adviced him not to carry the MT arround anymore, but basically that was that.
    According to the law as its written its illegal to carry a paper cutter, drafting compass or sharp pencil, so its obviously 100% up to the police. I'm just trying to get a general feel of how thing are over there. Not being able to carry a knife (in logical scenarios, I get it that running errands in Dublin with a 6" fixed blade has little excuses given the laws) would be a negative aspect to consider.
    FerFAL

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Multitool is pretty much completely defensible. "I need it for work" pretty much covers it, even if you work in an office. Unless the guard is seriously trying to hang you they're not going to pursue it. Obviously if you're hanging around like a scobe and have a leatherman on you you're going to be hassled.

I carry a charge TTi openly on my belt, have done for years. I've had mine noticed by UK border patrol and Irish customs officers, guards, etc. Never a bother, just show it if asked and say it's for work if asked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Can we get a knife sticky about how it's a really bad idea to swagger about the place with one?

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭DonLimon

FerFAL wrote: »
    Thanks! Do you or (anyone else) know of any cases in which people that werent looking for trouble got into problems anyway? What happened to them?
    Example: I know of a case in which the guy used his Charge tti to cut the
    FerFAL

I remember reading about a traveler who was charged for having a screwdriver in his van, it seemed pretty trivial but I suppose there was more to it than that. Besides, the gardai can arrest you for pretty much anything (public order act) it's best not to give them a reason to.

I always thought about carrying a pocket knife but was worried about the law regarding it. I think I'll start and just leave it at home when I'm drinking or anything similar. I've never yet been stopped and searched whilst just going about my business.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 shane102009

I am thinking of importing an ontario rat 1 knife from america for everyday use (cutting boxes, opening letters,cutting cable ties and bushcraft (uses like wood carving, whittling etc.) the problem is that this knife model has a 3 and 1/4 inch blade. does anyone know whether this will be let through to me without confiscation? I have no intentions of using this blade to harm another person whatsoever. fishing tasks may also be part of this knife's role. thankyou.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭kieranfitz

I am thinking of importing an ontario rat 1 knife from america for everyday use (cutting boxes, opening letters,cutting cable ties and bushcraft (uses like wood carving, whittling etc.) the problem is that this knife model has a 3 and 1/4 inch blade. does anyone know whether this will be let through to me without confiscation? I have no intentions of using this blade to harm another person whatsoever. fishing tasks may also be part of this knife's role. thankyou.

Might be an issue fromthe states but from heinne you should be sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭Rhinocharge

Won't be a problem. Only gets iffy when the knife lenght goes above 12.8 inches, that's when you enter machete terrority & therefore illegal. :)

EDIT Please Note: Knife length is measured from the tip of the blade to the butt of the handle.
    For folding knives, the open length is measured.

• Advertisement

Won't be a problem. Only gets iffy when the knife lenght goes above 12.8 inches, that's when you enter machete terrority & therefore illegal. :)

thanks very much for the fast, quality response :D this helped me make my decision and I will probably order one soon although I've heard their is a duty cost on imported goods like this, seeing that the knife goes for around $26 which is a about €20 I think, do you have any idea on the duty cost? Thanks again :)

thanks very much for the fast, quality response :D this helped me make my decision and I will probably order one soon although I've heard their is a duty cost on imported goods like this, seeing that the knife goes for around $26 which is a about €20 I think, do you have any idea on the duty cost? Thanks again :)

Depends on how it's shipped.
    By post: 23% VAT on the total cost & shipping plus 6 euro An Post customs clearing admin cost.
    By courier: 23% VAT on the total cost & shipping plus anything up to 15 euro for the couriers customs clearing admin cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

I go fish semi regularly and carry at least 2 knives I have never been stopped but I am assuming that if you are going fishing camping or some sort of outdoor activity you would be covered.

Its a bit nuts because a friend of mine was in a hardware shop at some stage looking at drill bits and the merchandiser for a particular product was there at the time noticed he was looking at his product and gave him a really nice knife there and then for free.

for the most part when dealing with the police in the republic be respectful and honest and you will be fine.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

EDIT Please Note: Knife length is measured from the tip of the blade to the butt of the handle.
    For folding knives, the open length is measured.

Knife law in Ireland is short, sweet and to the point. There's only one place where it's reliable to get the correct information online (and sorry Rhinocharge, but your comments are blatantly incorrect)

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1990/en/act/pub/0012/print.html#sec9
    Possession of knives and other articles.

9.—(1) Subject to subsections (2) and (3), where a person has with him in any public place any knife or any other article which has a blade or which is sharply pointed, he shall be guilty of an offence.

(2) It shall be a defence for a person charged with an offence under subsection (1) to prove that he had good reason or lawful authority for having the article with him in a public place.

(3) Without prejudice to the generality of subsection (2), it shall be a defence for a person charged with an offence under subsection (1) to prove that he had the article with him for use at work or for a recreational purpose.

As a recent thread in the BCUK forum shows, if you are stopped by the police, you do not always have the law on your side and their interpretation may be sufficiently different to yours which means you may have your items confiscated and risk receiving a penalty or conviction.

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Knife law in Ireland is short, sweet and to the point. There's only one place where it's reliable to get the correct information online (and sorry Rhinocharge, but your comments are blatantly incorrect)

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1990/en/act/pub/0012/print.html#sec9

As a recent thread in the BCUK forum shows, if you are stopped by the police, you do not always have the law on your side and their interpretation may be sufficiently different to yours which means you may have your items confiscated and risk receiving a penalty or conviction.

I wasn't talking about use of same, only importing same. :)
    Sorry I should of been clearer.
    I am thinking of importing an ontario rat 1 knife from america for everyday use

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Sorry Rhinocharge, I should have seen that too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

I was camping recently and generally have my leatherman on my belt when i am camping. I drove to a "nearby" retail park (20km) as the kids hadn't brought any spare knickers of all things. I still had the tool on my belt. From previous posts am i reading that I may or may not have been committing an offence purely depending on the mood of a guard if I was stopped? It's a perfectly legitimate tool to have on me for camping purposes - I use it all the time so keeping it on the belt is ideal.

[edit]can you link that thread tabnabs

Orion wrote: »

[edit]can you link that thread tabnabs

Why yes, I know exactly what you're talking about. :o

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=108803

A bit off topic here but what if I bring back some blades from Spain in my case from a holiday? I'm going on Sunday and wondering are Swiss army knifes and maybe some larger knives legal to take home? thanks lads :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

A bit off topic here but what if I bring back some blades from Spain in my case from a holiday? I'm going on Sunday and wondering are Swiss army knifes and maybe some larger knives legal to take home? thanks lads :D

Not a problem if they are in your case. Word of advice, if you want a quality knife do not buy it from a market in spain! Fine for something just for show to hang on the wall but not good quality

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

On this topic I had an experience recently. I was in court (as a witness :P) and had to go through a metal detector. I wasn't really thinking about this in advance so I just went up and fessed up straight away that I had my swiss with me and that I needed it for work (it is the "cybertool" one and that does fall in with my line of work). The Gardaí were grand about it to be honest. They gave me a receipt for it and kept it while I was in the courts, then gave it back to me on the way out.

I'm not sure how they would have been about something that's "just a knife" but I'm just speculating there. The cybertool is clearly not being carried around for stabbing purposes (though of course you could use it for that, the same applies to a metal pen for example).

Anyway, it is a point of reference.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭waterfordham

Last weekend, I was visiting my sister in London. We were in the queue for the London Eye, 4 adults, two kids, buddy etc. Completely forgot that they check you with a metal detector going on. I had part of the buggy in my hand and when I got up to him I told him I had a pliers (Skeletool CX) in my pocket.

When his detector beeped, he looked at me, the 3 other adults two kids, and decided, no point in asking to look at it. Even if he had I probably would have gotten away with it, but still, my fingers were crossed behind my back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ghogie91

I have been searched by the guards on 3 occasions, never carrying anything but money or a fake id as a young lad.

When I was younger I was pulled over twice any searched, i think the reasoning in this is because i was 15/16 and was in town at about 2 in the morning, I think thats fairly understandable

But last winter I was walking home from a nightclub at 12 because I forgot the wallet so started walking home to get it, it was freezing cold and I was walking with a hood up, it wasnt a skanger hoodie or adidas original it was buttoned knitwear from hollister or something so I wasnt dressed pure fla

Anyways long story short two guards hopped out, searched my pocket, dumped everything on the roof of the car, i got a message from my friends seeing if i was ok, the guard opened that and read it, took my chewing gums and got in the car and drove off, i mean i was 30 seconds from my house that i could literally point to them where i was going during an intensive quesitoning. I can safely say if i had anything out of the ordinary on me, not even a knife, I was gonna be in the cell for the night, they seemed to be trying to pin something on someone

that was the only bad experience i had :)

edit:

sorry I totally forgot about my car being searched twice, obviously I had nothing in the car either so was let go after a quizzing session about a couple of tattoos and what affiliation they had :/

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

ghogie91 wrote: »
    Anyways long story short two guards hopped out, searched my pocket, dumped everything on the roof of the car, i got a message from my friends seeing if i was ok, the guard opened that and read it

That is a shocking and gross invasion of privacy there. That would cause me to lodge a formal complaint.
    ghogie91 wrote: »
    sorry I totally forgot about my car being searched twice, obviously I had nothing in the car either so was let go after a quizzing session about a couple of tattoos and what affiliation they had :/

What are the gardaí doing searching your car? Was it random? I've never had my car (or person) searched.

Lastly, can anyone tell me what I'm obliged to answer if confronted by the Gardaí? My go-to response will be "am I free to leave?".

Khannie wrote: »

Lastly, can anyone tell me what I'm obliged to answer if confronted by the Gardaí? My go-to response will be "am I free to leave?".

Here's a useful page about it

http://spunout.ie/life/article/your-rights-and-the-gardai

Here's some more useful stuff, but only as reliable as any random internet page (despite what it claims)

http://www.wsm.ie/c/ireland-rights-questioned-arrested-garda

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Khannie wrote: »
    That is a shocking and gross invasion of privacy there. That would cause me to lodge a formal complaint.
    I dunno, I used to have a lot of respect for the guards but some of the things I've seen over the last year have given me reason to question that attitude, and I've never been in trouble myself. I'll say no more which says enough by itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

There is something odd about the Irish (and UKian) attitude towards knives, guns and katanas and what have you. Maybe it is egged on by Daily Mail articles about stereotypical scumbags who carry knives to stab people with but in a few years as the creeping arms of government stretch out further.

Really you would think any reasonable guard will let you off if you happen to be carrying a knife as part of your usual prepping gear but the law is still an ass

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

The thing I find crazy is if someone gets stabbed its a major crack down on hunting / camping knives but then you read the person got stabbed with a kitchen knife. A few years ago a guy went nuts and stabbed 4 or 5 people and there was media cry to ban all hunting folding knives but it turned out he went to the local super market and bought a set of kitchen knives just before hand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

ShadowFox wrote: »
    The thing I find crazy is if someone gets stabbed its a major crack down on hunting / camping knives but then you read the person got stabbed with a kitchen knife. A few years ago a guy went nuts and stabbed 4 or 5 people and there was media cry to ban all hunting folding knives but it turned out he went to the local super market and bought a set of kitchen knives just before hand

Nothing like a good ould media cry to get the government restrictions in place. Yet no amount of cries will get them removed. It seems like in a lot of cases the law will stay in place until it falls into obscurity just incase the guards catch someone and they need a little extra to hang him on

Years ago I found a knife on the street and brought it into a shop because I was on my way there anyway. Some staffer reported me to the manager who was actually alright in fairness to him but feck it the shop actually had some fairly similar knives on their own shelves. So even the people of Ireland are a bit paranoid about knives. Kind of like how a .22 pellet gun is a lethal weapon requiring a license in Ireland but just a simple toy in other countries

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

There is something odd about the Irish (and UKian) attitude towards knives, guns and katanas and what have you. Maybe it is egged on by Daily Mail articles about stereotypical scumbags who carry knives to stab people with but in a few years as the creeping arms of government stretch out further.

Really you would think any reasonable guard will let you off if you happen to be carrying a knife as part of your usual prepping gear but the law is still an ass

I agree with you.

Misused, knives can be dangerous weapons.

Mostly, knives are tools, though. People use them for all sorts of reasons, from gutting fish to cutting tape, to opening plastic blister packs. There must be very few people in Ireland who don't use a knife to eat dinner. In short, I would say that nearly everybody uses knives for one reason or another.

I'm inclined to agree with you that that the legislation goes slightly too far in restricting the carrying of knives.

That said, I think that our Gardai are generally a good lot with their attitude to prosecution of this, and I have no personal knowledge of innocent people being victimized.

In any case, that's no excuse for the legislation going slightly too far.

I believe that people should be allowed to carry legitimate tools without fear of prosecution.

Advertisement