Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NQT Pay scale

Options
  • 28-01-2013 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

I'm confused as to what I should do based on this circular.

http://www.education.ie/en/Circulars-and-Forms/Active-Circulars/cl0008_2013.pdf

I substituted during my PDE (Sept 2011- June 2012) in my tp school which was a VEC, beginning October 2011 to May 2012 at the unqualified rate €36.07 (or whatever it is).

I am now teaching since Dec 2012 with the department of Education and am still on the €36 hourly rate.

Should i submit my statement of service from the VEC that I actually began in October 2011 or will I be worse off based on the current payscale?
    or will i be entitled to allowance?

Advice would be much appreciated

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,405 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

i thought it all depends on when you started as a qualified teacher and un qualified subbing won't count? However ask your union for clarification as they would know best

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭chippers

Guys, i've gone through the circular and still not figured out what category I fit into. Does anybody know who is best to contact to get a definitive answer?I'm not working in Ireland and haven't been since graduating so i'm not affiliated to any union.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Op - do you have a contract or are you a sub/casual part time?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

TheDriver wrote: »
    i thought it all depends on when you started as a qualified teacher and un qualified subbing won't count? However ask your union for clarification as they would know best

I qualified in 2011 and got a job that September. Had subbed in 2010. Can they revert people to the lesser payscale?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 07472161

Hey Dory, ya Im now working part time 6 hrs a week!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭unknowngirl!!

07472161 wrote: »
    I'm confused as to what I should do based on this circular.

http://www.education.ie/en/Circulars-and-Forms/Active-Circulars/cl0008_2013.pdf

I substituted during my PDE (Sept 2011- June 2012) in my tp school which was a VEC, beginning October 2011 to May 2012 at the unqualified rate €36.07 (or whatever it is).

Thanks

Because you taught in October 2011 you are on this scale: http://www.asti.ie/pay-and-conditions/pay/salary-scale/salary-scale-for-teachers-appointed-after-january-2011/

If you had of taught, qualified or unqualifed, before January 2011 you would be on this scale: http://www.asti.ie/pay-and-conditions/pay/salary-scale/salary-scale-for-teachers-appointed-prior-to-january-2011/ (Only get allowances if you were qualified when you worked before January 2011)

Anyone who started after Febuary 2012 is on this scale: http://www.asti.ie/pay-and-conditions/pay/salary-scales/salary-scale-for-teachers-appointed-after-february-1-2012/ (No allowances)

• Registered Users Posts: 31 07472161

Because you taught in October 2011 you are on this scale: http://www.asti.ie/pay-and-conditions/pay/salary-scale/salary-scale-for-teachers-appointed-after-january-2011/

If you had of taught, qualified or unqualifed, before January 2011 you would be on this scale: http://www.asti.ie/pay-and-conditions/pay/salary-scale/salary-scale-for-teachers-appointed-prior-to-january-2011/ (Only get allowances if you were qualified when you worked before January 2011)

Anyone who started after Febuary 2012 is on this scale: http://www.asti.ie/pay-and-conditions/pay/salary-scales/salary-scale-for-teachers-appointed-after-february-1-2012/ (No allowances)

Ya I know so if I declare my VEC work in october 2011 I'll be paid less cause I wasn't on an allowance then so I'm better off staying on my after feb 2012 payscale. I'll work out better financially won't I?

Thanks for all the help, very confusing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Does this apply even if you were unqualified at the time and became qualified after February 2012?

EDIT: After reading the literature it is evident it does not apply.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

My reading of the circular is that no matter what point you subbed before February 2012, if it was on an unqualified basis (ie. you did not yet have a teaching degree), you will not be paid degree allowances and will start on the newest, lowest payscale.

dambarude wrote: »
    My reading of the circular is that no matter what point you subbed before February 2012, if it was on an unqualified basis (ie. you did not yet have a teaching degree), you will not be paid degree allowances and will start on the newest, lowest payscale.

Yes that is what it seems to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

Mardy Bum wrote: »

Yes that is what it seems to be.
    I subbed prior feb and qualified on June! They put me on old pay scale without allowances since I started in sept! Will they now be putting me back on new scale??? Can they do that?

I subbed prior feb and qualified on June! They put me on old pay scale without allowances since I started in sept! Will they now be putting me back on new scale??? Can they do that?

Is that the 27k starting point scale?

Is that the 27k starting point scale?
    No pt 3 of old scale 33,041

Had you subbed prior to January 2011?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

What about those who subbed in the VEC without a teaching qualification but were paid the qualified rate.

The appendix 5 in the circular in the OP is pretty clear. However Ms Lockhart that situation is not really mentioned.

What about those who subbed in the VEC without a teaching qualification but were paid the qualified rate.

They were qualified for the position, as they did not need a PGDE, and so were paid the qualified rate. I'd say it's likely they'll remain on the old scales.

Had you subbed prior to January 2011?
    Yes started in 2010. Was only a secondary school. In a vec now!

If the circular is applied as it reads, everything will be reduced to a fairly simple rule of thumb: If you were only ever paid the unqualified rate before February 2012, you will be placed on the new payscales. It's a very simple way for the department to figure out who should get what.

dambarude wrote: »
    If the circular is applied as it reads, everything will be reduced to a fairly simple rule of thumb: If you were only ever paid the unqualified rate before February 2012, you will be placed on the new payscales. It's a very simple way for the department to figure out who should get what.

What about the scale for January 2011- February 2012? It says the starting point is 27k yet those who start after February 2012 will start on 30k. Do those who started pre 2012 but post Jan 2011 get an allowance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Markjsca1

As far as I can read into it, yes those between 2011 and February 2012 will get the allowance and hence the smaller starting scale. For primary and secondary teaching it appears to be if you've got paid at all once every 6 months since anytime in 2010, you'll get the old pre-2011 rate and allowances.

And sorry to go OT a small bit but how does this work with third-level lecturing? I think these definitions get even murkier. Many qualifying postgraduates would have demonstrated/tutored/been Teaching Assistants during their studies (on pre. 2011 rates). How does this fit in with the pay scales? What qualifies as 2010 experience? Is it only lecturing experience that would count?

Buying a Tesla? Get free credits using my referral link https://www.tesla.com/en_ie/referral/mark65212

Finally got clarification on my situation after nearly a while school year has passed! I finished the dip in 2012 but since I did unqualified subbing in 2010 I am on the pre 2011 scale along with my degree allowance! I don't get my dip allowance was I completed it after feb 2012

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭UnLuckyAgain

Finally got clarification on my situation after nearly a while school year has passed! I finished the dip in 2012 but since I did unqualified subbing in 2010 I am on the pre 2011 scale along with my degree allowance! I don't get my dip allowance was I completed it after feb 2012

Just wondering, did you get this final clarification from Payroll? And has your pay been updated now to rectify the problem?

Just wondering, did you get this final clarification from Payroll? And has your pay been updated now to rectify the problem?

Yes from payroll. Back pay to be done on next pay day!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 1Elainey1

Can anyone confirm if they have done away with the break in service that would put you back on Point 1 of the basic pay scale?

My story is as follows:

Nov 2009 - June 2010 maternity leave paid qualified rate paid by Donegal VEC (I had no PGDE at the time)
    Aug 2010-June 2011 PGDE year training/teaching placement in Scotland
    Aug 2011- June 2012 NQT year teaching full academic year in Scotland
    Aug 2012- June 2013 Teaching full year in the U.A.E.

I also have a second class B.A. hons. and second class hons. M.A.

Can anyone confirm if I can remain on pre 2010 old pay scales? would I get my allowances? Or do I have to fill in an increments form for my time in Scotland, UAE.

Any help on the matter gladly received,

Elaine

• Registered Users Posts: 41 clearview99

Hi wolfyboy555, I'm curious about your situation! When you say you did unqualified subbing in 2010, did you have your degree at this stage and was it in secondary or VEC? I did unqualified subbing in 2010 and like yourself, qualified post 2012, however with a b.ed as opposed to a h.dip following a degree - the dept of ed won't recognise the subbing from 2010 and therefore don't warrant me being on the old, pre 2011 scale! Any advice for me as to where I should go at this stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭SlinkyL

This is the second time in recent weeks that I've seen someone on here get the old rates due to unqualified work prior to 2011. I qualified 2013, but worked unqualified 2002/2003 therefore had a payroll number etc. I have been told by both ASTI and DES as well as on numerous posts on here that unqualifed work doesn't count... therefore new payscale applies..
    why are some people getting old rates????? Good for you but wondering how this can happen???

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭SlinkyL

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057510902

Link to recent thread with similar discrepancies...

• Registered Users Posts: 41 clearview99

SlinkyL wrote: »
    This is the second time in recent weeks that I've seen someone on here get the old rates due to unqualified work prior to 2011. I qualified 2013, but worked unqualified 2002/2003 therefore had a payroll number etc. I have been told by both ASTI and DES as well as on numerous posts on here that unqualifed work doesn't count... therefore new payscale applies..
    why are some people getting old rates????? Good for you but wondering how this can happen???

There seems to be huge confusion around this issue - I too have dept. paid subbing from 08 and 10 yet only qualified in 2014 (B.Ed. Post Primary) - payroll wouldn't even entertain me when I rang them about get recognised for the subbing - would love to hear from someone who qualified post 2013ish who managed to get their subbing recognised and who got themselves back onto the pre-2011 scale

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Just to clarify, could it have been that the with the old VEC system you just needed a bachelors degree to be 'qualified' (i.e. without the HDip). Whereas if you were in a 'non-vec' school you needed the HDIP to be 'qualified'.

Advertisement