Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Player on trial on Saorview

Options
  • 28-01-2013 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭

I have notice that RTE Player, Trial v2.3, is running.
    I can get the menu of that is showing and access the info on each program available but I can not get to load up any program as I think is because I am in Northern Ireland using UK broadband network
    Can anyone else access this service?

Update, just 3 buttons press, Green, Red, Green to access ther RTE Player on RTE channels

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

Souriau wrote: »
    I have notice that RTE Player, Trial v2.3, is running.
    I can get the menu of that is showing and access the info on each program available but I can not get to load up any program as I think is because I am in Northern Ireland using UK broadband network
    Can anyone else access this service?
    Press Red, Green, Red, Green to access ther RTE Player on RTE channels

It's green, red, green, red for me. Brings up the player, can see loads of programs, but no content loads (Dublin/Eircom)

Do you have a Samsung smart TV by any chance? Or are you using a Saorview box?

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

Humax HDR-FOX T2, Freeview HD PVR

Just 3 presses
    Green, Red, Green

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭glimmerman123

I have a Panasonic idtv will i be able to access it through my tv and if so how? Thanks guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

I have a Panasonic idtv will i be able to access it through my tv and if so how? Thanks guys.
    To access the RTÉ Player on an iDTV, you're gonna need a model that has the RTÉ Player already installed (as a widget portal like YouTube) or one that has a functional web browser like the latest Samsung TVs. The player won't appear on Panasonics until they do a software upgrade & going by their performance on upgrading their TVs in the UK for BBC iPlayer, I think we're gonna be waiting a while for that.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,447 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I have a Samsung Smart TV that has RTEplayer as part of that setup. As it is Freesat, I have it set to UK which is another story, yet to be told.

However, I tried the instructions and lo and behold something happened. The TV was unbeleivable slow but eventually I got the screen shown on the images as per the OP. I selected something and got a blank screen. I tried again and selected 'Republic of Telly' and eventually got a picture but it was only the bottom eighth of the screen. I pushed a few buttons and managed to get the botton quarter of the picture. Not a good demo, so I think it is a work in progress with a long way to go.

I went to the Smart TV and tried to get the 'Republic of Telly' but could not find it, but I know that works. It is incedibly difficult to work if you want a particular programme. Not worth the bother, life is too short.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

To access the RTÉ Player on an iDTV, you're gonna need a model that has the RTÉ Player already installed (as a widget portal like YouTube) or one that has a functional web browser like the latest Samsung TVs. The player won't appear on Panasonics until they do a software upgrade & going by their performance on upgrading their TVs in the UK for BBC iPlayer, I think we're gonna be waiting a while for that.

Most if not all of the Enigma 2 boxes now have RTE Player running thanks to boards poster RogerThis.

[WIP] RTE Player for Enigma2

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

This sorta works on Sony 26" LCD TV.
    Top Gear video came up and run but no audio

• Registered Users Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭leex

Tried this on a Samsung 32" smart TV - think it is es5500 model and GREEN, RED, GREEN brought up a trial rte player. Gave a menu of old rte programs - maybe 12 mths old. I selected an old version of the Late Late and it loaded but is only showing on maybe the bottom 20% of the screen.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,447 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

leex wrote: »
    Tried this on a Samsung 32" smart TV - think it is es5500 model and GREEN, RED, GREEN brought up a trial rte player. Gave a menu of old rte programs - maybe 12 mths old. I selected an old version of the Late Late and it loaded but is only showing on maybe the bottom 20% of the screen.

That is the same as mine. Press blue and yellow and cancel and you get half screen.

Adverts play properly so may be a problem with the video stored. It may be deliberate so that it does not work properly but I doubt that. More work needed.

RTE Player works on the TV through the SmatTV.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

On Samsung BD-E8900, press red-green-red, brings up the RTÉ player trial. It only has about 10 shows (old ones, some Late-Late shows from 2012). But it works quite well.

Hopefully this will take off and they can make the full player available shortly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭peking97

The player won't appear on Panasonics until they do a software upgrade & going by their performance on upgrading their TVs in the UK for BBC iPlayer, I think we're gonna be waiting a while for that.
    I have the Panasonic GT30B and Red-Green-Red works for me. It brings up the interactive menu and I can navigate that menu but it then hangs when I try to watch a show.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭larchill

Your all red - green - red etc to get some derivative of RTE Player on an idTV. I've a Triax TSC 114 Combo stb which supports interactive services: red button gets digital teletext on RTE. I also get the 'red button' services on Freeview from NI. Is there a button sequence for RTE Player on this box?

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭sky23

larchill wrote: »
    Your all red - green - red etc to get some derivative of RTE Player on an idTV. I've a Triax TSC 114 Combo stb which supports interactive services: red button gets digital teletext on RTE. I also get the 'red button' services on Freeview from NI. Is there a button sequence for RTE Player on this box?

i have this box, i got the menu up earlier from just just hitting random combos of the color buttons so i can't tell you the exact buttons yet no videos loaded though the screen just said loading and did nothing. i'm tring it now can't seem to get it back up again let you know if i do

• Registered Users Posts: 6,631 ✭✭✭zg3409

I doubt it would work on any box, unless an over the air update was applied, even then it is unlikely the cheaper boxes would spend the money on existing users. The RTE player would need an internet connection via the ethernet port on the back, it does not work over an aerial.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭larchill

The Triax TSC 114 @ €170 is hardly a 'cheaper box'! But I see what you mean: RTE Player functionality on an STB will require connectivity other than the terrestrial path. On this box the Ethernet port as far as I know is only for firmware updates.

I have a Samsung ES7000 which has built-in RTEPlayer on its smartTV. Pressing GreenRedGreen while on RTE1 brings up a 'Loading' measage and the RTEPlayer menu. There are a few programmes listed which play an advert, which plays correctly and cannot be interupted. The video then follows but is only a tiny strip along the bottom. Pressing the Blue button (iifc) allows the picture to be increased to half screen. Obviously they are either still working on it or have abandoned the project.

On the SmartTV version, I can play 'EastEnders' without a problem (if I wanted to watch it which I do not). However when I try to play 'Grey's Annatomy' I have to get an RTE ID to see it. I did this but it still does not play. Now I'm not interested in watching that particular programme, but I am annoyed that it does not work as expected, and that RTE are insisting on a log-in of some sort.

larchill wrote: »
    On this box the Ethernet port as far as I know is only for firmware updates.

The ethernet port is there to save money. There is some tax/duty thing if you have an ethernet port you do not have to pay the same taxes as a VCR as it is considered a computer. Hence every box has them, and most of them do sweet feck all. The USB port is used for firmware upgrades or over the air.

As said some expensive DVD players, set top boxes and TVs have "smart" features one of which is a special version of RTE player (different from the website) that allows, or could allow some shows to be watched.

I played around with a Smart DVD/Blue ray player (could have been the samsung) and it did indeed ask you to create an account, and played the ads perfectly, but not the shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭TAFKAlawhec

Tried bringing up the RTÉ player on my Sony TV. Menu comes up with an archive program selection in several categories. Launching a program to watch is a bit haphazard, sometimes the advert will run OK followed by the program, other times the advert will suddenly stop and the program will launch about 30-40 seconds later. The time bar graph for the program seems wrong and there's no sound with the program being watched (though there is on adverts). This is all on a TV being used in Northern Ireland connected to a UK ISP, so no geo-blocking seems to be in place at least for testing.

I'd be about 98% certain that the functionality is based on MHEG-IC and isn't related to a "smart TV" having an RTÉ Player application. Coincidently my TV can play streams used for MHEG-IC channels on Freeview (Vision TV, CCTV, Sports Tonight etc.) but I've yet to try it on any other Freeview HD receiver.

RTE Player does have an international version. Some US shows are unavailable when accessing the normal site from abroad. Try some USA shows and see if they are listed and/or play.

By the way the international IP based blocking may not apply to Northern Ireland, or the system could be based on MHEG5, thus anyone that can pick up Saorview, would have access and those not in Saorview coverage would not be able to access the menus etc.

Out of curiosity I tried this on my Samsung C530. I knew it couldn't work (no Ethernet) but I wanted to see if anything would come up. The green-red-green combination appears to do nothing, but then you can't open MHEG-5 Aertel until you change channels. So it seems it does try to do something and fails.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭TAFKAlawhec

zg3409 wrote: »
    RTE Player does have an international version. Some US shows are unavailable when accessing the normal site from abroad. Try some USA shows and see if they are listed and/or play.
    There is only a limited list of about a dozen shows with one or two episodes available that seem to be mostly from January & February 2012, there's no American shows that I can see in the list, mainly ones like Mrs Browns Boys, Scannal, Prime Time, Republic of Telly etc.
    By the way the international IP based blocking may not apply to Northern Ireland,
    Most Northern Irish internet users are allocated an IP address which normally gives their location as being in Britain rather than NI, unlike in the Republic where (at least it used to be) you were given an IP address to the nearest connection point to your phone line e.g. someone in Donegal town would come up as having an IP address from Sligo.
    or the system could be based on MHEG5, thus anyone that can pick up Saorview, would have access and those not in Saorview coverage would not be able to access the menus etc.
    For an MHEG-IC application to start, it requires some data from the multiplex to indicate how to stream a service over an internet connection e.g. IP address to the server, as well as a MHEG version check if implemented to check for compatibility of service. No reception, no way to start the service.

It appears to require an IP connection. Have not tested it as such but that is what I suspect. Without internet connection, it just ignores the buttons but tends to kill the TV. Pressing channel change reverts to normal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

I can access the rte player trail on the humax freeview + box and my samsung smart tv

I press green red green

I select a programme but nothing comes up loading takes ages

ftakeith wrote: »
    I can access the rte player trail on the humax freeview + box and my samsung smart tv

I press green red green

Do you have an internet connection on the device you are testing?

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭doney84

I press green red green

Could you confirm your samsung tv model number please? I have a samsung smart tv and was unable to access the rte player via the coloured buttons. Also do you have the country set to Ireland or UK?

Do you have an internet connection on the device you are testing?

its both connected to the modem

I have a samsung 9000 40inch freesat/saorview tuners, ireland is the country

its both connected to the modem

I have a samsung 9000 40inch freesat/saorview tuners, ireland is the country

The ES9000 is a US TV. The highest number currently here is the ES8000. There is an older C9000. I assume you have an 40ES8000.

Try going to the menu and check your network connection. It should connect to the internet. If that works, you should be able to get the RTE player through the SnartTV button, if you have the app. If you do not have the app, you can download it.

If the app works, then try the Saorview one. It should start, first with Loading... on the screen then starting up. I cannot get it to play properly. The video for the ads work fine but the programme selected only plays a small band at the bottom. Hopeless. Not worth losing sleep over.

The ES9000 is a US TV. The highest number currently here is the ES8000. There is an older C9000. I assume you have an 40ES8000.

Try going to the menu and check your network connection. It should connect to the internet. If that works, you should be able to get the RTE player through the SnartTV button, if you have the app. If you do not have the app, you can download it.

If the app works, then try the Saorview one. It should start, first with Loading... on the screen then starting up. I cannot get it to play properly. The video for the ads work fine but the programme selected only plays a small band at the bottom. Hopeless. Not worth losing sleep over.

the rte player app on smart tv works fine
    the saorview won't load up quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭holidaysong

Using the Walker PVR and the Green, Red, Green combo works to bring up the RTÉ Player trial.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭corglass

Using the Walker PVR and the Green, Red, Green combo works to bring up the RTÉ Player trial.

Already asked in the Ariva 250 thread, but does anyone know if the RTE player trial available on the Ariva 250?

Advertisement