Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J.J. Abrams to direct episode vii

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

The masses will be pleased.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

Taking on Star Trek and Star wars? Seems unlikely..... I'd be happy with him though

• Registered Users Posts: 22,238 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I don't know what all the fuss is about...

I'm a legacy fan I suppose. Episode IV was my first ever visit to the cinema. Magical. The second was Annie. Don't ask. My sister's choice was overvalued by the misguided parent paying for the tickets. ;)

I have a huge irrational loyalty to those first three movies. Got really excited when the more recent ....... efforts....... were announced. Got really dissapointed when I saw Episode I, and gave up by Episode III. This one was a DVD rental. Couldn't be bothered to go out to see it on the big screen. Since, I can't help reappraising the original trilogy. And I have to say, If I saw them today for the first time....... well, they're just not that good, are they?

That's not to say I don't pull out the old boxset from time to time, but I have to admit its the nostalgia and the memories of loving StarWars as a kid that I love. Not the movies themselves so much. The anticipation of waiting as a kid, of hoping against hope along with my pals that of of the 5 channels (yes kids. FIVE!) available might show it around xmas. Getting a Scout Walker off Santy one year. A primitive lightsaber thingy on another. Is this familiar to anybody else?

So JJ Abrams directing the new one? Don't really care. Its not my StarWars. I'm not that bothered, and probably won't see it. But I hope it lights the fuse of a few good memories for some kid and his pals. May the force be with them

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

He's done pretty good with Star Trek, so I remain quite optimistic about the new stuff.

Take your weapon, strike me down with it and your journey towards the lens flare will be complete.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

My first ever post in Star Wars forum. Always liked the original trilogy but never as much as Star Trek. Like many, found the prequels to be joyless.

Very bitter sweet moment as a Trek fan. This announcement effectively ends his association with Trek which is a shame as he has done what no one else could have done...resurrect the franchise.

However, resurrecting the Star Wars after the last set of films is an even bigger task and I'm actually incredibly excited to see what JJ will do. I don't think the Wars franchise could be in better hands.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭MyBrokenKnees

Ok a night to think about it and I think I am fine with J.J directing.

I am just hoping his partner in crime Lindelof stays away from writing the script.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭smiddyboy

Ok a night to think about it and I think I am fine with J.J directing.

I am just hoping his partner in crime Lindelof stays away from writing the script.

It's been 100% confirmed as JJ Abrams on the starwars.com website

Here.

With Michael Arndt writing the script. He is responsible for Little Miss Sunshine, Toy Story 3, Brave and a few more upcoming films including the promising looking Tom Cruise Sci-Fi flick 'Oblivion'. (wiki)

I am much more optimistic about this as JJ seems to be at his best when directing other folks scripts.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

Little miss Sunshine and even toy story 3 are both very well written so all we the next big thing now is the cast..... I'm very gradually starting to get excited

smiddyboy wrote: »

It's been 100% confirmed as JJ Abrams on the starwars.com website

Here.

With Michael Arndt writing the script. He is responsible for Little Miss Sunshine, Toy Story 3, Brave and a few more upcoming films including the promising looking Tom Cruise Sci-Fi flick 'Oblivion'. (wiki)

I am much more optimistic about this as JJ seems to be at his best when directing other folks scripts.
    Sorry...

Tom Cruise, and promising.....?

In the same post?

I don't quite follow you there, chief.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace

I don't really care who directs it to be honest but I suspect all lightsaber battles will now be like massive acid trips.

• Advertisement

endacl wrote: »
    Sorry...

Tom Cruise, and promising.....?

In the same post?

I don't quite follow you there, chief.

At the risk of going off topic but IMO Cruise gets a very hard time he's been in some amazing films over the years...

ziedth wrote: »
    At the risk of going off topic but IMO Cruise gets a very hard time he's been in some amazing films over the years...

He might play an Ewok, OK low joke...twice in a row :D
    He's a good actor but if he was to be cast then it would be better if it was a low appearence reacurring role rather then a main character, same for all big name actors.

ziedth wrote: »

Agreed, his personal life aside I think he's damned good at what he does. I'd rather not see him in the Star Wars universe however, he's too big an actor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Matt_Trakker

I'd no idea of who Abrams so looked him up, as a prodicer he's made a mint for studios, fare nuff, Disney want to make a ton of dinero, but Abrams list of directorial outings ain't really impressive.

Super 8: yawn
    Star Trek: not a trekkie, so avoided it.
    MI: III: was altight, nothing special.
    Lost: crap
    Alias: crap

As for writer, Michael Arndt.
    Yea, everybody likes Little Miss Sunshine and Toy Story 3, (Brave was brutal) & he's doing the next Hunger Games :eek: ......but y'know this is Star Wars. Will he be able to deliver a space rock opera?
    I'm pessimistic. :(
    Let's hope they don't make a complete balls of it like the did episode I.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

the team involved looks good, im very excited about what they can come up with

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

i thought he did a good job with ST but sadly IMO left the diehard fans behind over luring new fans in, it was a big direction change, for better or worse, can Star Wars cope with the same?

i thought he did a good job with ST but sadly IMO left the diehard fans behind over luring new fans in, it was a big direction change, for better or worse, can Star Wars cope with the same?

I think it has to really, Lucas left the franchise on its knees & in a near laughing-stock state. Something fairly different is needed, & I'm all for it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

With Abrams on board it will have some major plot device that will go unexplained / unanswered. I will leave the cinema saying "yeah but why did X happen", and internet fora the world over will be alive with theories, and the sequel will come out and the question will be ignored and some other new mystery will appear.

This is the guy who produced a monster movie and never let you see the monster.

syklops wrote: »
    With Abrams on board it will have some major plot device that will go unexplained / unanswered. I will leave the cinema saying "yeah but why did X happen", and internet fora the world over will be alive with theories, and the sequel will come out and the question will be ignored and some other new mystery will appear.

A la Episode 1 & 2? Confusing, overly complex & drawn out rubbish...lets face it.

EnterNow wrote: »
    I think it has to really, Lucas left the franchise on its knees & in a near laughing-stock state. Something fairly different is needed, & I'm all for it :)

am i the only person in the world who loved episode 3?

i think jj abrams got the job because he made star trek look a bit like star wars .

• Advertisement

A la Episode 1 & 2? Confusing, overly complex & drawn out rubbish...lets face it.

Not a million miles from it anyway.
    Turmoil has engulfed the
    Galactic Republic. The taxation
    of trade routes to outlying star
    systems is in dispute.

Hoping to resolve the matter
    with a blockade of deadly
    battleships, the greedy Trade
    Federation has stopped all
    shipping to the small planet
    of Naboo.

While the congress of the
    Republic endlessly debates
    this alarming chain of events,
    the Supreme Chancellor has
    secretly dispatched two Jedi
    Knights, the guardians of
    peace and justice in the
    galaxy, to settle the conflict

I was in the cinema and i said out loud. "What the fu^%?" Taxation, blockade, trade federation, republic, senate. Have I walked into a meeting with the IDA and Enterprise Ireland by mistake?

peteeeed wrote: »

Nope, I really enjoyed it. It was the 'Empire' of the prequels. However, two full films were wasted setting up the events for the third, so it needed to be good...
    syklops wrote: »
    I was in the cinema and i said out loud. "What the fu^%?" Taxation, blockade, trade federation, republic, senate. Have I walked into a meeting with the IDA and Enterprise Ireland by mistake?

Lol, thats more or less it yeah. Was such a shock to the system, hopefully & I'm confident they will, Disney & JJ knock out a belter of a film

will be interesting how Abrams will film it, as he originally wanted to film the new star trek sequel in 2D but the studio told him to do it in 3D (post-converted into 3D) and now he says he's a fan .

I think 3D is a given these days :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Matt_Trakker

I think 3D is a given these days :(

I always go for the 2D choice, don't get this whole 3D thing at all.

I always go for the 2D choice, don't get this whole 3D thing at all.
    Agree entirely. Still waiting for the studios to get over the excitement of the latest gimmick. Every 3D I've seen so far, has been decidedly 2D in all other respects. Don't get me started on avatar...

'Get out of the tree'
    'No'
    'Get out of the tree'
    'No'
    'Get out of the tree'
    'No'
    'Get out of the tree'
    'No'
    'Get out of the tree'
    'No'
    'Well, we'll just blow the tree up then!'

Cue battle scene and patronizing moral message.

Credits...

Nope, I liked it very much.

i think jj abrams got the job because he made star trek look a bit like star wars .

No I liked 3. I liked the darkness of it. I also have a soft spot for 2 because it was out around the time I was studying for my leaving, and someone gave me the score for 2 on minidisc and I used to listen to it for hours while studying Maths(other subjects too, but mainly maths). I would put it on, and I knew when the Imperial March came on I had done 1 hours work. A few times I had to check the time because it hadn't felt like an hour had gone by.

I got a B. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭MyBrokenKnees

Episode 3 was good but it was the last of the 3.

What we now need and what J.J needs to do is open with a very strong episode vii and build from there.

Advertisement