Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motor running but not firing

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Wearb wrote: »

Have you checked inside the boiler?could be getting blowback.

Yes. It was almost spotless, though not serviced for many years. Perhaps so clean as a result of it getting way too much air for years.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭jimf

Yes. It was almost spotless, though not serviced for many years. Perhaps so clean as a result of it getting way too much air for years.

be careful overairing is one of the main causes of high co

what area are u operating from good spread of lads posting here maybe your living close to someone who might be willing to help you on site

maybe pump but ive never come across one acting this way when you have your gauge fitted is pump giving a good steady 8 bar reading with no fluctuations up or down any possibility of air being drawn in via perforated fuel line only guessing now myself

sorry but when i say im only guessing now myself i didnt mean to insinuate you are only guessing it looked bad when i read back my own post

jimf wrote: »

be careful overairing is one of the main causes of high co

what area are u operating from good spread of lads posting here maybe your living close to someone who might be willing to help you on site

maybe pump but ive never come across one acting this way when you have your gauge fitted is pump giving a good steady 8 bar reading with no fluctuations up or down any possibility of air being drawn in via perforated fuel line only guessing now myself

I have the flue gasses working within recommended parameters, but I must recheck them to be sure to be sure. I need to be able to fix this myself. I know local lads who will help if I fail to fix it, but I will not call on them until I have exhausted all options, which may eventually mean fitting a working burner that I have been taking parts off. I am sure you understand this.
    Yes nice steady 8 bar on pump. No sign of any moisture on fuel line. Bottom of oil tank is at least 15 inches above boiler, so any air leaks would probably result in oil leak when not running.

sorry but when i say im only guessing now myself i didnt mean to insinuate you are only guessing it looked bad when i read back my own post

I didn't take it up wrongly. I know you are all trying your best to help me.

I will post everything I did when I get it sorted, even if I haven't identified the exact problem.

• Advertisement

at least you had the balls to come on and ask for help all the lads on here are very helpful and will never judge you only help where possible and believe me there are some brilliant tips to be picked up if you go back over old posts when you have time and have this problem put to bed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

I didn't take it up wrongly. I know you are all trying your best to help me.

I will post everything I did when I get it sorted, even if I haven't identified the exact problem.

If you have a few pics of the boiler / house, vents / flue it would help us in seeing just whats in front of you.

Only have a few photos. Will take other ones next time I call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Dtp79

Only have a few photos. Will take other ones next time I call.
    Did you check the capacitor? I had a similar problem before and it was a temperamental capacitor

Dtp79 wrote: »
    Did you check the capacitor? I had a similar problem before and it was a temperamental capacitor

Thanks for input. Don't think it can be a capacitor problem, because there has never been a problem with motor starting.

• Advertisement

Thanks for input. Don't think it can be a capacitor problem, because there has never been a problem with motor starting.
    That's what I thought when it happened to me. Didn't make sense back then and still dosent make sense but it did the trick!!

Dtp79 wrote: »
    That's what I thought when it happened to me. Didn't make sense back then and still dosent make sense but it did the trick!!

Well you just never know. I am almost willing to try some pagan ritual at this stage. :confused:

Well you just never know. I am almost willing to try some pagan ritual at this stage. :confused:
    Ye I tried the ritual before the capacitor and it didn't work

I think I have gotten to the bottom of my problem. I should have taken a hammer to the customer, but I need to keep him and perhaps get recommendations from him. Time will tell if this has sorted it.

Started this morning to dismantle the boiler (I decided to start from scratch again) Taking off the top boiler cover, I noticed a home made cover gasket made from fibre glass. It was a good job as such jobs goes. The original was starting to fail but was OK and I had decided to leave its replacement to the next service. I had told the customer this on my first visit when I checked everything and expected everything to be the same as I left it.

I removed this improvised gasket and found most of the old one down on top of the top baffle plates. I asked him why he didn't mention this "handy-work" to me and he said that he didn't think that doing what he did would make any difference to the burner as he had been only fixing the gasket on the boiler. At this stage I was almost splitting my tongue. But calmly explained to him the problems his action had caused. Anyway I have fixed up everything in there and hopefully that will be the cure.
    I suppose if I had run a second analyser test I might have discovered this, but I thought after sorting that out first time that nothing would have changed there. You live and learn.

Thank you all for your help. It helped me maintain confidence (which was shaken) in my work. I will post here if this has not sorted out the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

I think I have gotten to the bottom of my problem. I should have taken a hammer to the customer, but I need to keep him and perhaps get recommendations from him. Time will tell if this has sorted it.

Started this morning to dismantle the boiler (I decided to start from scratch again) Taking off the top boiler cover, I noticed a home made cover gasket made from fibre glass. It was a good job as such jobs goes. The original was starting to fail but was OK and I had decided to leave its replacement to the next service. I had told the customer this on my first visit when I checked everything and expected everything to be the same as I left it.

I removed this improvised gasket and found most of the old one down on top of the top baffle plates. I asked him why he didn't mention this "handy-work" to me and he said that he didn't think that doing what he did would make any difference to the burner as he had been only fixing the gasket on the boiler. At this stage I was almost splitting my tongue. But calmly explained to him the problems his action had caused. Anyway I have fixed up everything in there and hopefully that will be the cure.
    I suppose if I had run a second analyser test I might have discovered this, but I thought after sorting that out first time that nothing would have changed there. You live and learn.

Thank you all for your help. It helped me maintain confidence (which was shaken) in my work. I will post here if this has not sorted out the problem.

So it was blowback?

So it was blowback?

Seems like it was, but oh so inconsistent. Never misfired in my presence.

Seems like it was, but oh so inconsistent. Never misfired in my presence.

Glad you got it sorted,I hate those ones that have you doubting yourself,but once you keep at it it pays off.

One thing I learned is never believe or take for granted something the owner might or might not have done.

Have you seen the previous page?all your quotes are saying I wrote them and vice versa.

Anyway hopefully that's it but as you know you can never be sure,all that is left is the bill!

dont you just love some customers

well done at least now you know your cut out for the job of making all that easy money i wish

Glad you got it sorted,I hate those ones that have you doubting yourself,but once you keep at it it pays off.

One thing I learned is never believe or take for granted something the owner might or might not have done.

Have you seen the previous page?all your quotes are saying I wrote them and vice versa.

Anyway hopefully that's it but as you know you can never be sure,all that is left is the bill!

How do you charge for such a job. Certainly can't charge my regular rates. But still it's better to be earning something.

How do you charge for such a job. Certainly can't charge my regular rates. But still it's better to be earning something.

Can you take back the parts you changed?

• Advertisement

dont you just love some customers

well done at least now you know your cut out for the job of making all that easy money i wish

Thanks. At least sometimes its fairly straight forward.

I just love the self service customers that think that a 3 to 5 year nozzle change and clean out of the bottom of the combustion chamber is all that is needed.

Can you take back the parts you changed?

Luckily I had a second hand burner that I keep for emergencies to remove parts from. Now I have that back together again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

Customers like that are great, they really teach you valuable lessons, never believe a word a customer tells you.

Customers like that are great, they really teach you valuable lessons, never believe a word a customer tells you.

Oh boy have I learned that lesson. Sadly I was really depending on him, because it never misfired when I was present. At first he said motor was running but not firing and only later -when he attempted to imitate the noises that it was making- I realised it was firing up for a few seconds and then going out.

Luckily I had a second hand burner that I keep for emergencies to remove parts from. Now I have that back together again.

That's something I suppose,all you can do is charge that you don't loose the job.repeat work is most important.

That's something I suppose,all you can do is charge that you don't loose the job.repeat work is most important.

repeat work is what its all about every job you get cant be a new customer otherwise you would run out of customers very fast

and still the best form of advertising is the good old word of mouth

repeat work is what its all about every job you get cant be a new customer otherwise you would run out of customers very fast

Exactly always keep the customers who have been loyal to you happy.

Exactly always keep the customers who have been loyal to you happy.

It is a slow process building up customers, but I agree with above. Those type of customers are worth all the advertising you could do.

He just called a minute ago (to give me a heart attack) to say "guess what"....."it is still running ok" Fingers crossed for the morning start-up.

btw, my analyser is reminding me that it is due for calibration next month. I have been using Hamilton Gas Products in Co. Down. They charged me just over a 100 euro last year, including pick-up and return. Any other companies out there doing a better deal on Sprint Analysers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

Try Charlie from HES. He has the franchise for ROI. Fairly quick turn around.

• Advertisement

It is a slow process building up customers, but I agree with above. Those type of customers are worth all the advertising you could do.

He just called a minute ago (to give me a heart attack) to say "guess what"....."it is still running ok" Fingers crossed for the morning start-up.

btw, my analyser is reminding me that it is due for calibration next month. I have been using Hamilton Gas Products in Co. Down. They charged me just over a 100 euro last year, including pick-up and return. Any other companies out there doing a better deal on Sprint Analysers?

www.heatingengineersupplies.ie charlie o neill is the guy you are looking for first class to deal with he is limerick based but charges depend on whats needed sensors may need to be changed will pm you his mobile no

Advertisement