Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tri Laois Sprint April 6th 2013

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Get a tri suit !

Out of the pool, helmet on, shoes/runners and straight out !

Otherwise you'll send a good 5 min, trying to dry yourself and putting on other clothes. Don't worry once you start turning over the legs you'll warm up quickly
    The year I did it the mats from the pool were lethally slippy. Presume that hasnt been a problem since?

Pool to bike:
    Number on to the back (number belt is handy if not throw on a shirt with it already attached to both the front and back)
    Have a towel on the ground at your rack position to wipe your feet on to remove any grit before they go in your shoes (madly irritating if you get stones in your shoes)
    Your bike glasses may fog up initially, try anti fog solution on them as a precaution.

Good luck to all btw, great race.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭griffin100

If it makes anyone feel better I haven't been in my bike since last August and this race is in 3 weeks :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

griffin100 wrote: »
    If it makes anyone feel better I haven't been in my bike since last August and this race is in 3 weeks :pac:

I haven't swam 30 lengths in one go yet... Bricking the swim leg. And the cycle leg and the run leg :-)

I dunno how it will go... If I ever do a second Tri I will definitely be better prepared for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Deedsie wrote: »
    I haven't swam 30 lengths in one go yet... Bricking the swim leg. And the cycle leg and the run leg :-)

I dunno how it will go... If I ever do a second Tri I will definitely be better prepared for it!

Don't be worrying, when i did the race i was only swimming 8 weeks and swimming one length was hard. Just smile and enjoy the experience.

Oh and be very nice to the guy on the mic, i believe he's a real gent:cool:

Don't be worrying, when i did the race i was only swimming 8 weeks and swimming one length was hard. Just smile and enjoy the experience.

Oh and be very nice to the guy on the mic, i believe he's a real gent:cool:

Oh we'll all be looking out for you now! Thanks for the encouraging words! I'm looking forward to it anyway! What would you wear going on the cycle leg? Tri suit? Tri Shorts & a tshirt? Is it not very cold to not have a cycling jacket on?

• Advertisement

Oh we'll all be looking out for you now! Thanks for the encouraging words! I'm looking forward to it anyway! What would you wear going on the cycle leg? Tri suit? Tri Shorts & a tshirt? Is it not very cold to not have a cycling jacket on?

Just the tri suit if the weather is any way decent ( i've got sun burned the last 4 yrs )

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭dited

What would you wear going on the cycle leg? Tri suit? Tri Shorts & a tshirt? Is it not very cold to not have a cycling jacket on?

Think the weather was a mix of sunshine and hailstones last year; I went with just a trisuit and it did get a little chilly on the bike. I contemplated this difficulty and came up with a solution: cycle faster :P

dited wrote: »
    Think the weather was a mix of sunshine and hailstones last year; I went with just a trisuit and it did get a little chilly on the bike. I contemplated this difficulty and came up with a solution: cycle faster :P

Its true for you... I prob need to man up a bit. First time swimming in the tri-suit tonight. Said i may try it out.

Its true for you... I prob need to man up a bit. First time swimming in the tri-suit tonight. Said i may try it out.

I'll be there selling gear:cool:

Just to let you know there will be a new Cycle and Run route for this years race, details are below.

http://www.trilaois.ie/node/75

• Advertisement

Just to let you know there will be a new Cycle and Run route for this years race, details are below.

Is the new cycle harder or easier in your opinion EJ?

Is the new cycle harder or easier in your opinion EJ?

To be honest i haven't really looked at it but the 1st 2k of the run is going to be tough !

The cycle is also a tiny bit longer as the last one was 19k and this one is 21.5.

Any chance you could cover the routes and post a Garmin profile Elvis? ;)

griffin100 wrote: »
    Any chance you could cover the routes and post a Garmin profile Elvis? ;)

Ya i'll do the run on friday at lunch and the cycle next week.

Has anyone been out on the new routes yet? Any opinions? This weather is wrecking my head, very hard to get out.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭redved

Hi,

does anyone know what time this thing starts at?

Thanks

Redved

redved wrote: »
    Hi,

does anyone know what time this thing starts at?

Thanks

Redved

Just off the top of my head.

7AM registration opens
    7:30 Transition opens
    8:30 Registration closes
    8:45 Transition closes
    9:00 Race Briefing
    9:30 1st senior wave in water

Thats just off the top of my head but it gives you an idea !

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gerfmurphy

early start for the gang travelling:eek:
    6.30am start for me:(

gerfmurphy wrote: »
    early start for the gang travelling:eek:
    6.30am start for me:(

Ya fairly standard with triathlon !

I'd advise to get in early, get registered, set up and then you can relax and scope out the entry and exits to T1 and T2 !

Of anyone doing the race who knows the set up the end line has been moved towards the front of the leisure centre but transition and pool exit are staying the same !

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gerfmurphy

is there any warm up allowed in the pool?

• Advertisement

You might get in a length or half and back, it all depends on how time is. The pool is hired for X time so we need to get in and get out.

A good tip is to bring more than one hat and have different colours as it makes life easier for the counters at the end of the lane who will tip you on the head when you have 2 lengths left.

Generally you get time to do a couple of lengths but ad Elvis says it can be very limited.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Mr Tango

Assume fast swimmers are out in the last wave?

Also - anyone know the story with tumble turns. I see TI banned them in pool swims recently. As usual - disadvantage the fast swimmers. This is akin to making someone running an out and back course with 29 turns round a cone to walk round the cone each time - just to make sure no one slips and hurts themselves!!!

Mr Tango wrote: »
    Assume fast swimmers are out in the last wave?

Also - anyone know the story with tumble turns. I see TI banned them in pool swims recently. As usual - disadvantage the fast swimmers. This is akin to making someone running an out and back course with 29 turns round a cone to walk round the cone each time - just to make sure no one slips and hurts themselves!!!

Ya fastest projected swimmers in the last wave and no tumble turns.

Any good reason for no tumble turns?

What if all in the lane agree to do them?

Any good reason for no tumble turns?

What if all in the lane agree to do them?

Counters and those running the swim need to be able to talk and engage with the swimmers, for instance to tap you on the head for your last 2 lengths. How do they do that of you're using tumble turns ? Or if you're holding up other swimmers behind you and they need to make you aware of it ?

You won't be allowed to them, that i can tell you and it will be said in the race briefing.

I can count and wont be holding anyone up :D

Not your fault I know - but it is a ridiculous call on TI's part.

Id better start training without tumble turns for a week so I don't inadvertently do one!!!

I can count and wont be holding anyone up :D

Not your fault I know - but it is a ridiculous call on TI's part.

Id better start training without tumble turns for a week so I don't inadvertently do one!!!

Think you'd feel better over here Darren :D

Very good!

Its okay - I am going to look for the positives.

Work the walls and keep the streamline a bit longer as you will have more air in the lungs than if you did a tumble!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 trixsyme

Hi, have any of you tried out the run route or the bike route - if so, how's it looking?

Advertisement