Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

50GB Free Cloud Storage - MEGA!!

Options
  • 21-01-2013 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭

I'm surprised this hasn't been already posted. So i guess i will and take the flack.. :P

Free 50GB of Cloud Storage with "Mega" Encryption, so your files are "Mega" secure.
    They recommend using Google Chrome, but it is not forced.

So Kim.com is still waiting trial, i wouldn't put anything sensitive in here, or anything I couldn't bare to lose. But i wouldn't do that with Dropbox or many others either. I would probably only use it as a cloud storage to and from my phone and PC.

http://www.me.ga

Sign up, Confirm your email, Sign In, and wait for your encryption key to be made.

1431i15.jpg

It will definitely be interesting to see where this goes. and what makes it the best Cloud service available.
    I haven't yet seen a file size limit on what you upload.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

FBI will read all your files :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

snubbleste wrote: »
    FBI will read all your files :cool:

Just found this, whilst looking up more info..
    Three Keys To Making Mega An Acceptable Cloud Storage Service
    Mega has a generous level of storage (50GB for free users) and is promising a network of servers around the world to preserve data both from data loss and from the likely legal action. because hovering over Mega is the continued discussion over the court actions around Megaupload.

Also, no way can anybody look up your files without your permission, hence the 2048MB encrypted key which is written when you first sign in. Like Wuala, they are not subjective to U.S. law (Even though that really means Warner Bros/Sony/20th Century Fox etc. - and all other companies that the US government bend over for), because they are not based there, and that is how he plans to fight the pending case.

So i wouldn't be worried about anyone reading my files, as that is near impossible, but i would be worried about the servers being shut down and losing them, although, after reading the above article, i admittedly am less worried now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

Allyall wrote: »
    Just found this, whilst looking up more info..
    Three Keys To Making Mega An Acceptable Cloud Storage Service

Also, no way can anybody look up your files without your permission, hence the 2048MB encrypted key which is written when you first sign in. Like Wuala, they are not subjective to U.S. law (Even though that really means Warner Bros/Sony/20th Century Fox etc. - and all other companies that the US government bend over for), because they are not based there, and that is how he plans to fight the pending case.

So i wouldn't be worried about anyone reading my files, as that is near impossible, but i would be worried about the servers being shut down and losing them, although, after reading the above article, i admittedly am less worried now.

I think I'm gonna use it as a 'backup' for all the 'stuff' I have on my 1TB drives.....if I lost them I would loose everything!! Now I know I won't get to store everything up there but I could set up two accounts ;-)

Cheers,
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭Pique

Make sure you choose a strong password (and triple check that you've typed it correctly) because you CANNOT change it.

http://www.zdnet.com/mega-users-if-youre-hacked-once-youre-hacked-for-life-7000010054/

Edit: I mean if you forget it, you cannot reset it. Your account is locked. I'm sure you can change it through the admin function or User CP etc.

Oh....really!?? Just got an error! "Ooops, something went wrong" :-(

Now getting "Error Code: -9??"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

I would not trust this site for anything you care about.

Pique wrote: »
    Make sure you choose a strong password (and triple check that you've typed it correctly) because you CANNOT change it, EVER.

http://www.zdnet.com/mega-users-if-youre-hacked-once-youre-hacked-for-life-7000010054/

Also for the lazy I'll repost this from Reddit:

pDhiXI9.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭long_b

madmoe wrote: »

I think I'm gonna use it as a 'backup' for all the 'stuff' I have on my 1TB drives.....if I lost them I would loose everything!! Now I know I won't get to store everything up there but I could set up two accounts ;-)

Cheers,
    M
    20 accounts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭Notch000

did anyone get an account set up yet ?? im still getting an error on verification

• Closed Accounts Posts: 659 ✭✭✭ToadVine

Notch000 wrote: »
    did anyone get an account set up yet ?? im still getting an error on verification

Me too :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

I did, but it's just so slow at uploading, I'm not going to bother. Will stick with Wuala.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,308 ✭✭✭positron

I tried uploading couple of files two days ago - it's a bit slow. You do have the facility to share the file with a public URL, and there's a terms and conditions checkbox when you try download using that URL, which I suppose is their get-out-clause about users sharing copyrighted stuff. Also didn't ask to retype password etc - and only works with Chrome - all a bit different and a bit too picky. Might come back to this later.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,623 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Tazz T wrote: »
    I did, but it's just so slow at uploading, I'm not going to bother. Will stick with Wuala.

This ^^^^^^^^^
    I'm gonna stick with Wuala or Dropbox, tried and trusted :)

I got signed in eventually and it is DOG slow uploading :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭rai555

Tazz T wrote: »

The upload takes ages, don't think it's worth a hassle, this cloud is too far :D

2 and a half hours to upload a 2.3MB jpeg and counting.. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

rai555 wrote: »
    The upload takes ages, don't think it's worth a hassle, this cloud is too far :D

Just so you know what the cloud actually is :rolleyes: http://www.businesscomputingworld.co.uk/what-does-cloud-actually-mean/

rai555 wrote: »

So true, they need to get their act together on upload if they want to be taken seriously!!

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭D_D

Really? I'm uploading a 460MB file currently at a rate of 1MB/s, so it will be up in ~5 minutes...

Pretty good on this end.

D_D wrote: »
    Really? I'm uploading a 460MB file currently at a rate of 1MB/s, so it will be up in ~5 minutes...

Pretty good on this end.

I'm on NTL here, you mate??

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭seklly

550 KB/s here for a 400MB file over wireless with UPC, not bad

• Advertisement

seklly wrote: »
    550 KB/s here for a 400MB file over wireless with UPC, not bad

Seems to work intermittently for me :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭nulabert

Just so you know what the cloud actually is :rolleyes: http://www.businesscomputingworld.co.uk/what-does-cloud-actually-mean/

Pity that Councillor is Galway didn't have that link :D

"Connemara would be ideal for cloud computing because it has heavy cloud cover for nine months of the year."

More here:
    http://www.politics.ie/forum/education-science/176419-clouds-confusion.html

• Registered Users Posts: 10,551 ✭✭✭✭28064212

nulabert wrote: »
    Pity that Councillor is Galway didn't have that link :D

"Connemara would be ideal for cloud computing because it has heavy cloud cover for nine months of the year."

More here:
    http://www.politics.ie/forum/education-science/176419-clouds-confusion.html
    If you had read the second post on politics.ie, you would have realised it was a fake story

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭nulabert

28064212 wrote: »
    If you had read the second post on politics.ie, you would have realised it was a fake story

A Permit System for Drink Drivers in Kerry is a fake story too!! :D

I'm sticking with Dropbox and i must get one of them permits!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Try changing these settings to increase upload speed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

http://www.mediafire.com/

50GB free with them aswell.

eoing1 wrote: »
    Try changing these settings to increase upload speed?

Cheers! Changed those now and we will see!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,165 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Signed up now and a file is uploading at about 3KB/s. That's slower than useless :)

Thanks OP for the link, I'll try again later but more likely than not will I kill my account soon enough...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Allyall wrote: »
    and what makes it the best Cloud service available.

Who said this? Kim himself?

• Advertisement

juan.kerr wrote: »
    Who said this? Kim himself?

Jaysis... Gave me a fright there, i was thinking "i didn't write that."
    But now i see it in context, yep. I'll try and find the link, but of course he would say that anyway.

It was with his quote about the button "On January the 19th, this button will change the world."

He has also released a statement saying something along the lines of the speed issues will be perfect by next week.

Advertisement