Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leaving Cert 2013: My Study Log

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

Only starting back into it note, I'm ashamed to say. Going to drive through it foot a few hours, it'll be worth it.

Shattered isn't the word. Not satisfied with what I've gotten done today. Way to tired. Chemistry tomorrow, and the Irish oral. Ah well. Having a pizza now and then bed.

Today went well, considering.
    I think I may have gotten an A2 on Chemistry, definitely not an A1, fcuked up the calculation for heats of combustion and on the one for pH.

Irish oral was beyond easy.

Tonight Im going to have a look over some Applied Maths Connected Particles.

Going to head to bed early. Physics and Applied Maths mocks are on thursday. Thankfully I'm off tomorrow.

Last day of the mocks tomorrow. Not feeling great about it at all. Physics will be a disaster I reckon. Ah well.

I had the whole day of today, and although I was at the books all day, I feel like I've learned extremely little. I'm taking the weekend off and starting into study on Monday. If the mocks has taught me one thing, it's that I'm not ready. I've had enough of fûcking about with small chapters every night. I'm fooling myself. I know the material, what I need to do now is be able to produce it in an acceptable exam format. From now until the leading cert, I intend to do one paper per night, as well as my homework. Weekends will be used to review my weaker points. By the time I get to three real thing it'll be like second nature. Sounds great in theory anyway :D Ah well... goodnight!

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭RML

Wow sounds like you are really motivated for the next 4 months :D Well done :)

Sound Rachel! Hopefully I'll be able to actually stick with it now :P

@Ada9405: Sorry, I don't do Art History.

-

Physics was an absolute disaster. I'd be lucky to scrape a C.

Applied Maths was better. Hopefully I get around a B2. Didn't answer Part b of the projectiles question or Differential equations because I haven't covered them yet.

Chilling till monday now then getting back into it. See you all then !

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sganyfx

Methememb wrote: »
    Last day of the mocks tomorrow. Not feeling great about it at all. Physics will be a disaster I reckon. Ah well.

I had the whole day of today, and although I was at the books all day, I feel like I've learned extremely little. I'm taking the weekend off and starting into study on Monday. If the mocks has taught me one thing, it's that I'm not ready. I've had enough of fûcking about with small chapters every night. I'm fooling myself. I know the material, what I need to do now is be able to produce it in an acceptable exam format. From now until the leading cert, I intend to do one paper per night, as well as my homework. Weekends will be used to review my weaker points. By the time I get to three real thing it'll be like second nature. Sounds great in theory anyway :D Ah well... goodnight!

I have been doing that method of revision for a few months, paid off in the mocks today when I was able to finish my Biology paper in 55minutes with every question done :P

sganyfx wrote: »
    I have been doing that method of revision for a few months, paid off in the mocks today when I was able to finish my Biology paper in 55minutes with every question done :P

Unreal :D Nice to know it works :)

Attached my Chemistry Mind Maps. If you use them, please post an honest review here: http://bit.ly/UGIcKY .
    Trying to save up for college.

Notes: http://bit.ly/V23fp1

• Advertisement

Midterm Day 1 - Chemistry

Goals:
    2003 Exam Paper
    2004 Exam Paper.

It's too early for this **** :D

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭GalwayGirl00

wow, it is really good to see someone so motivated. I hope all goes well over the next few months for you and that others will join in on the thread and get inspired by your way of thinking.

Thanks for the encouragement :)

-

Did 2003 and 2004 papers with a 90 minute break in between. Gonna chill till half 4 then do 2005.

Didn't do experiment questions:

Results:

2003: 76% (Didn't know heats of combustion calculation)
    2004: 86% (Mass spectrometry let me down)
    2005: 70% (B!tch of a paper)

Midterm Day 2 - Physics

Goals:

2002 Exam Paper
    2003 Exam Paper

Physics was sh1te. I really despise it. Putting it behind me for now

-

Midterm day 3 - English

Goals:
    2002 Paper 1
    2002 Paper 2

• Advertisement

English was alright. Good to put myself under pressure for timing.

-

Midterm Day 4 - Applied Maths

Goals:
    2000 Paper
    2001 Paper

Today I'm going to take Physics on and defeat it. Time to step up to the plate. Going to take 2 chapters, and do 5 exam questions on each.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 darthchris

Howdy!

Did you say you had mindmaps done up for English poetry too? I'd love to see some examples as I'm struggling to do some myself :/

love this thread btw, it's actually a good motivator for me to see you so motivated :P

I only have a Plath one done. It's pretty poor IMO, not summarised enough. The way I look at English, you're better off to just keep doing papers. Uploaded it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 darthchris

Thanks a million anyways. Gives me something to start with :D

Got english paper 2 and maths paper 2 tomorrow ... I'm screwed!!

• Advertisement

Ouch! Been there! Only advice I can offer is to pack your bag at 6pm tonight and chill for the evening. Go in calm, and know the timing of the paper. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

Wow your so motivated! Whatcha wanna do?

Computer science in Trinity is my first choice :D How about yourself?

-

Today's goals:
    4 x Q4 Applied Maths, starting from 2000 onwards
    Integration Chapter in Maths + 2 Exam Questions

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

Sorry never read the first post! Law in trinity :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 200 ✭✭mulciber

Computer science in Trinity is my first choice :D How about yourself?

-

Today's goals:
    4 x Q4 Applied Maths, starting from 2000 onwards
    Integration Chapter in Maths + 2 Exam Questions

Cool! That's my first choice too! =D Maybe we'll be in the same course, although I'm nowhere near as motivated as you are.

See you there man! :cool:

-

Today I did:
    - 2 question 5's in applied maths, 2000 and 2001. With a little help from decisions. (thanks!)
    - Integration by substitution
    - Light

Not enough. Need to focus tomorrow.

Very busy week. Been getting Mock results, it's a real boot in the arse. I overestimated my abilities it would seem.

Today's goals:
    - Maths, Integration
    - Applied Maths, 2 x Impacts & Collisions Q's
    - Chemistry - Revise Water, 2x Exam Q's
    - German, Oral work

Got all of my goals complete, plus half a question on Bishop. Happy enough.

Been up since 9.30. I've done the Impacts & Collisions Q's from 2006 &2007 in applied maths.

Today's goals:
    - Chemistry: 3 Experiments, 2007 whole exam paper
    - Maths: Integration, Differentiation, The Circle
    - Irish: Learn off more of the essay
    - English: Poetry Question
    - German: Letter from Exam papers

What I got done today:

- Chemistry: Iron tablet experiment, 2007 paper
    - Maths: Integration
    - Physics: Electricity & Seminconductors (Hell of a lot)
    - Applied Maths: 2006 & 2007 Impacts & Collisions

If I'm up to it after dinner I'll do the German letter I was going to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭stew.z.ger

Hi all, I sat my Leaving Cert 10 years ago so I am soooo nervous to be sitting it in June. I want to get into primary teaching so I am studying Irish by myself whilst also studying a degree.. crazy I know! So, I'm wondering has anyone got any tips in school?? or are there any predictions for the essay? I am just hoping I get a c3. It is so crazy trying to teach yourself a subject.. I just need all the help I can get.. please.

Fair play, stick at it. My advice would be to focus on the oral, its worth 40%. I'd enrol in a night class for a few weeks if I were you. Find someone to speak it with you. Do you have the sraith pictiur?
    For the actual exam, the first thing to do is get the papers. Practice all the comprehensions. For the essay write a very high standard and interesting story in english, one that will apply to lots of titles. (Happiness, fear, hope, friendship, etc.) If it is relevant in any way to the one given on the day it'll be accepted. Translate it to Irish and have it checked by someone competent. Learn it off. For the poetry, I would recommend reading and knowing the poems and the messages behind them. I wouldn't wast time on the story, its worth about 6% in total. The poems are written on the paper so you're fine once you understand them. The main thing is practicing exam papers. Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭stew.z.ger

I have everything for the whole of the Irish course so I'm sorted on that part.. Just need to grow in confidence for my oral.. 40% in huge is so much.. I'd say the examiner is going to go to town on me asking me on my past n what i've been doing.. I just need to keep positive. I was attending the Conrad na Gaeilge but it wasn't helping me.. everyone was talking about the cinema n harmless stuff but i need more than that.. I'm going to look into other classes.. I live where there are not many classes but I'll google it.. Thank you for your help =)

What I did this evening:
    - Chemistry Experiment
    - German Letter
    - Physics Notes (See attached)

Pretty happy, good nights work :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭BrownBear11

For the essay write a very high standard and interesting story in english, one that will apply to lots of titles. (Happiness, fear, hope, friendship, etc.) If it is relevant in any way to the one given on the day it'll be accepted. Translate it to Irish and have it checked by someone competent. Learn it off.

Sorry if this is too intrusive a question, but did you do this for your mock and if so, how did you get on in the essay question? :) Sorry, I know that's very nosy of me to ask but I'm just wondering if this approach works. I don't really like rote-learning when it comes to languages but it might be a good back up option, needs must and all that!

PM me if ya wanna preserve your identity :p

89/100 for the essay. I forgot bits of it because I only started learning it off a few hours before the exam. Had to bluff the last quarter of it. Was delighted. Got 81% in the whole Irish exam basically without studying a tap for it. I want to bump it up to an A, my listening was a bit disappointing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭BrownBear11

Nice one :) And is your story quite open ended? Knowing my luck I'd learn one and it would end up not fitting :pac:

On first glance you wouldn't think it, but the slightest link to the title is all you need. If it can be relevant, it is relevant.

What I got done tonight:
    - Chemistry: Definitions all typed out (See attached)
    - Physics: Magnetism
    - German Oral
    - Maths: Integration

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭RedSeven7

Just stole your physics notes - thank you! :D
    -And best of luck in June, you're so motivated, definitely gonna get over 550!

Thanks alot man, really hope so! :D

-
    What I did today:
    - Hell of a lot of physics
    - English Question B
    - Chemistry: Stoichiometry
    - German: Oral

Tonight is a bit of a write off as I have the flu and can't concentrate. Been told our class is incredibly behind so gonna have to teach myself.
    Goals for Saturday:
    - Maths: Proof by Induction. Revise Complex Numbers completely.
    - Physics: Electricity Exam Questions
    - Chemistry: Experiment, All questions 5's
    - English: Revise Hopkins, do exam question
    - Applied Maths: 2009 - 2012 Impacts & Collisions.

Mocks results came in. 470 points. Not bad points but some shocking individual results. Work to be done yet.

So far today I've done:

3 Hours Maths: Complex Numbers revision & Taught myself proof by induction
    90 Minutes Chemistry: 2002 - 2012 Q5's

What I did for the rest of the day:

90 Minutes Physics: 2002 - 2012 Heat Questions
    2 Hours Applied Maths: 2008 - 2012 Impacts & Collisions
    45 Minutes English: Hopkins Quotes

I'll have a look over the German oral for a while and then I'm done for the night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

How do you do it? :O I have such a hard time trying to keep my attention on studying at weekends!

• Advertisement

peekachoo wrote: »
    How do you do it? :O I have such a hard time trying to keep my attention on studying at weekends!

Left the laptop away and set myself a target. Once I hit the target I was allowed a break for a while. Tough but now I can chill for the night :D

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Lucan Bohs

What I did for the rest of the day:

90 Minutes Physics: 2002 - 2012 Heat Questions
    2 Hours Applied Maths: 2008 - 2012 Impacts & Collisions
    45 Minutes English: Hopkins Quotes

I'll have a look over the German oral for a while and then I'm done for the night.

Am I seeing that right that you've done over 9 hours study today?

Roughly ! :pac: Sounds bad when you say it like that!

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Lucan Bohs

I wish I had the will power. I done just over 3 hours today.

What time did you start today?

I was up at 10:30 only 'cos I was reffing and didn't finally start till 2:30pm

Woke at 8 and started at 9. Won't be around tomorrow so I had to do extra today!

• Advertisement
Advertisement