Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrong to be Catholic ?

Options
  • 20-01-2013 9:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭

Is it morally wrong to be a member of an organisation with such a horrendous record as the Catholic church ? Down through the years they have been nothing but a bane to the growth of civilisation and presided over the subjugation and suffering of millions of people. Most recently allowed children to systematically be raped and abused by covering up instances of abuse and relocating paedophiles to other parishes.

Surely any person as it stands now cannot be associated with this organisation and still call themselves a good person can they ? The people in this organisation will chop and change but ever present in its existence is a wrong doing in some capacity to the people in the parishes that they operate. Whether its the brutal fashion in which violent and ignorant priests forced people to their knees in the 50/60s or the mild mannered priest of nowadays who still perpetuate mistruths and ignorance.

So is ignorance really an excuse for standing by such an organisation ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

"Just following orders." :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

Is it morally wrong to be a member of an organisation with such a horrendous record as the Catholic church ?

... allowed children to systematically be raped and abused by covering up instances of abuse and relocating paedophiles to other parishes.

Surely any person as it stands now cannot be associated with this organisation and still call themselves a good person can they ?

So is ignorance really an excuse for standing by such an organisation ?

Ridiculous claims there. Total slander of followers of the Catholic Church. Stop imposing your opinions on others.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Zen65

Methememb wrote: »
    Would you atheists ever grow the fúck up and stop imposing your ideas on everyone else.

I'm guessing atheists would agree to this if the various churches would equally refrain from imposing their views on others?

As for the OP, I would comment that the behaviour of the few, even if they have been among the senior ranks of the organisation, does not determine the morality of the organisation. One would not expect Americans to denounce their citizenship because of the warring actions of George W, or that of previous presidents.

Members of the RC church should judge the merit of their membership on the basis of the underlying beliefs rather than on the actions of some of their leaders. It seems to me that any church will only be modernised by the actions of its members rather than the actions of non-members. If there were more members like Fr Tony Flannery then perhaps the RC church would be guided to a more sensible and loving position on morality.

Passive actions by members (such as simply leaving) do not seem to have much effect on the church, as they simply move to developing nations to garner new members.

Z

Zen65 wrote: »
    I'm guessing atheists would agree to this if the various churches would equally refrain from imposing their views on others?

Any eye for an eye is it?

Im out of here. OP, have a chat with yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

As for the OP, I would comment that the behaviour of the few, even if they have been among the senior ranks of the organisation, does not determine the morality of the organisation. One would not expect Americans to denounce their citizenship because of the warring actions of George W, or that of previous presidents.

Members of the RC church should judge the merit of their membership on the basis of the underlying beliefs rather than on the actions of some of their leaders. It seems to me that any church will only be modernised by the actions of its members rather than the actions of non-members. If there were more members like Fr Tony Flannery then perhaps the RC church would be guided to a more sensible and loving position on morality.

Passive actions by members (such as simply leaving) do not seem to have much effect on the church, as they simply move to developing nations to garner new members.

Z

Citizenship is a different thing and is not comparable to being a member of an organised religion in this context. Their beliefs although coming from the church are not solely tied to that church. Most people these days dont take the bible seriously in all aspects. They believe god exists and they believe in an afterlife but are not convinced of the padding. So they do not fully subscribe to the teaching of Roman Catholicism and I would say most people would be merely spiritual rather than wholly religious.

And although the underlying beliefs are not the same as the actions of some of its leaders, the church itself as an organisation operating in line with those beliefs as they expect its members to do is responsible for those actions. And being honest, it isnt isolated incidents. The control the church has had has wrought huge suffering on the world, thats not due to a few bad eggs. Thats due to the existence of the Roman Catholic Church. And its an ever present problem, which is facilitated by people who prop up an organised religion with full knowledge of how that church operating under those beliefs has used the power they had.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Its like a good few organisations like that :

Starts out fine for a little while
    Then the atention seeking loopers latch on to it
    Then it attracts those who like to take advantage of the above

Would you atheists ever grow the fúck up and stop imposing your ideas on everyone else. Wow, you're an atheist. Congratufúckinglations. Nobody asked for your opinion of Catholicism or any religion.

Dear admin@boards : creche.boards.ie could be a sucess

gctest50 wrote: »

Dear Admins,

literacy.boards.ie could be a success.

You should have paid more attention in English class.

Your post made no sense.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Would you atheists ever grow the fúck up and stop imposing your ideas on everyone else. Wow, you're an atheist. Congratufúckinglations. Nobody asked for your opinion of Catholicism or any religion.

The OP asked for people's opinion, actually? That's how a forum works.

I would be extremely interested how an atheist has imposed atheist ideals on your life. The only atheist position is that there's no proof for a god claim, really. There are perhaps other things which spring from this, but that's the only thing all atheists share. However, the opposite is not true.

I, for example, am going to have to consider getting my child baptised as a Catholic or he/she might not be able to get into a school in a few years. That's a pretty big imposition, imo.

Why am I writing this when you've said you won't be back? Because (1) I've read that before, and it's rarely true, you're at least reading this- hi- and (2) Other people who think this might be interested in thinking about it for a bit.

Citizenship is a different thing and is not comparable to being a member of an organised religion in this context.

Let's agree this is correct (though I don't entirely agree since both are a form of optional membership) - perhaps the example I should have offered is that members of the NRA (in the USA) who agree with gun control measures would not resign their membership because of the actions of their leaders. Likewise employees of BP may disagree with the environmentally immoral action of the company in other countries, but they don't necessarily consider their employment to be immoral.
    ....the church itself as an organisation operating in line with those beliefs as they expect its members to do is responsible for those actions. ....

I believe that most members of the RC church consider that their leaders did not (and most likely do not) act in accordance with the church's stated beliefs. Certainly anyone with even half a brain can see their actions were totally at odds with the scriptural teachings of their God. That's exactly why these actions are so repulsive to their members.

I am not trying to defend any of the churches. I have no time for organised religions in general, and I consider any theist belief to be poorly thought out. My response to the OP is that deeming membership to be immoral is probably a flawed piece of logic.

Z

Any eye for an eye is it?

No eyes have been lost by these postings. Perhaps you should consider the meaning of that phrase before you use it? Without debate there is no advance in thinking.

Z

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Extinction

Nobody needs permission to discuss or have an opinion about an organisation that facilitated the abuse of children by their actions. Maybe it's the catholics that need to mature and realize that they can no longer force their will and that they will be discussed by people who have no intention of shuttingthe****up.

gctest50 wrote: »

I dont think its loopers attaching to it thats created the problems. I think its the fact that its laid out in such a way as to control and little else. It was never going to do anything but take advantage of the masses to benefit the organisation and those at the helm of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,959 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Im out of here. OP, have a chat with yourself.
    An apostrophe missing between I and m, surely?

Let's agree this is correct (though I don't entirely agree since both are a form of optional membership) - perhaps the example I should have offered is that members of the NRA (in the USA) who agree with gun control measures would not resign their membership because of the actions of their leaders. Likewise employees of BP may disagree with the environmentally immoral action of the company in other countries, but they don't necessarily consider their employment to be immoral.

They might not see it as immoral but that does not mean it isnt. Members of the NRA might only be interested in protecting their right to do something they like, despite the fact its lading to suffering for others. Thats immoral.

I believe that most members of the RC church consider that their leaders did not (and most likely do not) act in accordance with the church's stated beliefs. Certainly anyone with even half a brain can see their actions were totally at odds with the scriptural teachings of their God. That's exactly why these actions are so repulsive to their members.

But were they at odds ? They were in a position of power and control that the church has created by selling those beliefs along with beliefs that god is all powerful, its eternal damnation for those who dont comply and the clergy were gods messengers on earth. Those priests got away with what they did because people feared them and the church precisely because of the beliefs and teaching of the church.
    I am not trying to defend any of the churches. I have no time for organised religions in general, and I consider any theist belief to be poorly thought out. My response to the OP is that deeming membership to be immoral is probably a flawed piece of logic.

I dont think your defending the church but I'd disagree about it being flawed. I think supporting an organisation unnecessarily while ignoring its transgressions would be in line with the NRA example. Ignoring the plight of others to live your own life in a state of contented ignorance.

They might not see it as immoral but that does not mean it isnt. Members of the NRA might only be interested in protecting their right to do something they like, despite the fact its lading to suffering for others. Thats immoral.

The stated aim of the NRA is not to promote the use of guns in random attacks on the public :)
    Dismayed by the lack of marksmanship shown by their troops, Union veterans Col. William C. Church and Gen. George Wingate formed the National Rifle Association in 1871. The primary goal of the association would be to "promote and encourage rifle shooting on a scientific basis," according to a magazine editorial written by Church.

One might reasonably deduce that the NRA's promotion of gun ownership goes far beyond their original remit, no doubt influenced by the weapons industry sponsorship. Likewise the actions of the RC church in protecting paedophiles among their ranks is not following the teachings of their God, but rather it was protecting their "status" (which directly affects their earnings).

I think your logic in determining that membership of the NRA is inherently immoral is flawed. Is membership of the EU immoral? After all, that membership creates a barrier to third-world countries growing their economy.

Z

The stated aim of the NRA is not to promote the use of guns in random attacks on the public :)

I didnt say it was. The NRA is active in fighting gun control of all kinds regardless of how many random attacks on the public. Being a member of such an organisation to protect your interests regardless of how it affects others is immoral.
    One might reasonably deduce that the NRA's promotion of gun ownership goes far beyond their original remit, no doubt influenced by the weapons industry sponsorship. Likewise the actions of the RC church in protecting paedophiles among their ranks is not following the teachings of their God, but rather it was protecting their "status" (which directly affects their earnings).

Therein lies the problem. The RC church was protecting itself at the expense of society. Something it has always and will always do. To think any different would be to disengage with reality. The RCC isnt going to dissolve while people support it. And it isnt going to change into anything without a negative impact on society without a complete overhaul. So its not going to change. The more power taken away form it though by the state (which is recent enough in its doing) will reduce its impact on society.
    I think your logic in determining that membership of the NRA is inherently immoral is flawed. Is membership of the EU immoral? After all, that membership creates a barrier to third-world countries growing their economy.

Membership of the EU is compulsory for all EU citizens. Again you're confusing being a citizen of a state and being a member of an organisation. Citizenship is not chosen and you only change it (as far as I'm aware) and not denounce it. But being a member of the church or NRA is completely voluntary in the case of the NRA and in the case of the church it may be inherited through a family but its certainly not binding by any means.

And membership of the NRA isnt inherently immoral, its immoral to support the NRA if its having a negative impact on society.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Any eye for an eye is it? Im out of here. OP, have a chat with yourself.
    literacy.boards.ie could be a success.
    "Any eye" or "An eye"? And as Tim points out, you're missing an apostrophe after the 'I'.

Anyhow, dude, chillax a bit. It's Sunday evening and all that. No need to go biblical on everybody.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

You're right - anyone who isn't catholic must be atheist
    :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Who pissed in your cornflakes?

I got an infraction if it makes you feel better. Just want to point out that this man is labelling the Catholic Church and its members "wrong" because of the wrongdoings of some members. Ridiculous.

• Advertisement

Fixed my post, made it more PC.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I got an infraction if it makes you feel better. Just want to point out that this man is labelling the Catholic Church and its members "wrong" because of the wrongdoings of some members. Ridiculous.

No he's not, he's asking a question. Are you unfamiliar with question marks?

Oh, and the Catholic Church is wrong. Especially when the man at the top and everyone around him protected the child rapists.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I disagree with the OP too, which should highlight how OTT your first post was.

The way I look at it is in order to be a catholic you already have to ignore the utter nonsense it's based on, so it's not that much of a stretch to keep your fingers in your ears about all the stuff the organisation facilitates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Should we all stop watching BBC aswell? One of their members raped and abused and they covered it up?

Should we all stop watching BBC aswell? One of their members raped and abused and they covered it up?

What are you asking me for ? Are you incapable of reasoned thought ?

BTW there was no cover up at the BBC. There was a bit of confusion over a tv show which wasnt aired. So not really comparable to the good old church moving paedophiles around the country to avoid being caught raping children.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Your metaphor is wildly kak-handed. I don't believe the BBC is claiming to be the world's moral authority (unlike Herr Ratzinger and his organization) and neither do I believe there's any evidence that the BBC was generally aware of Saville's abuse or had any systematic policy to hide it (unlike Herr Ratzinger and his organization).

If you are aware of such evidence, I suggest you get in touch with the UK police as soon as you can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

What are you asking me for ? Are you incapable of reasoned thought ?

Why did you make the OP? Are you incapable of reasoned thought??

Oh and yes, if you have watched any of the interviews with any of Savills victims, you will know that he was reported and it was brushed under the carpet

Why did you make the OP? Are you incapable of reasoned thought??

Oh and yes, if you have watched any of the interviews with any of Savills victims, you will know that he was reported and it was brushed under the carpet

To discuss it, not to listen to childish questions from people trying to dismiss it rather than discuss.

Brushed under the carpet by the bbc ? He was reported and investigated twice by the UK police. There is no evidence that the BBC were aware of and hid information about his actions. I'm sure a few rats will be rooted out but it certainly wast covered up by the BBC. While there was a cover up by the RCC going all the way up to the top. Who did hide evidence and paedo's from the police. And allowed many many children to be raped. The RCC is a disgusting organisation populated by sick, twisted and deluded individuals.

Also as Robindch says the RCC are putting themselves forward as a moral authority.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Ridiculous claims there. Total slander of followers of the Catholic Church. Stop imposing your opinions on others.

Yeah stop stealing the RCC's thunder.

Advertisement