Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CHR Radio Thread

Options
  • 17-01-2013 9:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭

Hey All,

Plenty of individual Contemporary Hit Music radio threads on here but here's one to discuss anything and everything CHR wise.

From SPIN to Capital, FM104 to Red FM.

Have fun!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭smurfs5

Well maybe we should change the name to Capital and SPIN or else a general CHR thread.

I have to say I disagree with the fact that the sung jingles were in anyway remotely good. They sound too out-dated and old, they were being used in the early days of Z100. They all sound like they've been made on an electronic fisher price laptop too. A thirty second top of hour link for a CHR station is ridiculous in my opinion, it's called WAFFLING and trying to fill time. People that listen to a music station don't want to hear presenters talking ****e. I enjoy the TOH as it quick, effective and always perfectly timed, whether that has anything to do with the fact they pre-record most of their links I don't know. But if you think about it with their short news does it seem like the right thing to come out of the short news into a ramp of nearly half the length of the bulletin. Their imaging is slick and fast exactly what you want from a HIT music station, most listeners wouldn't be able to tell you what a jingle, sweeper or liner is. For us radio heads it's the core of the station the branding for everybody else they subconsciously have it stamped in their brain every-time a song ends.

I don't think James is gearing towards women at all to be honest, it just goes to show how backward Ireland is when it comes to taking care of yourself. I know loads of males that straighten their hair, and i'm not sure if he is gay but gay presenters often have the edge with their on air personalities.

Regarding the Bassman I don't know if it was you that commented on the Digital Spy forum but you seem to be more or less quoting what was said there. It's been said before on this forum about Steve K that he's a bit old for SPIN I completely disagree to be honest he may be older than the rest of the on air presenters but the has crafted the 10 SPIN hit's format perfectly and the rest of the 10 SPIN hit's presenters just follow his lead. People who are listening for music don't care what age the presenter is, as long as he's playing the hit's and a bit of wit here and there he's perfect where he is.

By the way i'm not trying to start a fight either I completely respect your opinion too and am only giving mine it is a forum after all.

Opening a general CHR thread now.

Cookie.

To continue the chat from the SPIN thread.......

Firstly, bit of a ridiculous comment to say that James's show is geared towards women. I love his show and thoroughly enjoy his on-air personality and I don't keep track of pics that he is posting online so I don't really think about that. London is an extremely fashionable city so the way he talks about onesies and hair straighteners isn't uncommon among its residents.....and that's just with lads. For example, earlier he read out a text from a girl saying that she was waiting for her boyfriend because he was putting on fake tan. I rest my case.....

I agree that The Bassman shoud go to Heart. I don't want to be ageist but he sounds too old for the station. I'd like to see Pandora get the 1-4 slot. I like her and whenever she fills in on daytime, she sounds fresh and lively.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

I don't see why someone has to leave a CHR station just because they're too "old". If someone is under 45 does that mean they're unsuitable for 4FM?

Andy Mac has been on Beat Drive with 9 years and seems to have fairly decent ratings. He's no spring chicken either and I see why Beat would get rid of someone just because they don't fit into the target age market. No point in sacrificing ratings to get rid of a presenter that is too old.

marno21 wrote: »
    I don't see why someone has to leave a CHR station just because they're too "old". If someone is under 45 does that mean they're unsuitable for 4FM?

Andy Mac has been on Beat Drive with 9 years and seems to have fairly decent ratings. He's no spring chicken either and I see why Beat would get rid of someone just because they don't fit into the target age market. No point in sacrificing ratings to get rid of a presenter that is too old.

I understand that but in some cases, as a presenter gets older, they become less relevant to a station and lose touch with what is important to people of a certain demographic, particularly on a youth station. Some presenters are so good that they will not sound like their age and have energy and wit in abundance.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭gavindowd

Pandora is great and full of charisma

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭Cookie Policy

I actually like the Bassman he's fine for the slot he is doing, I don't know how he'd fare in the mix on a Saturday night or the big top 40. But he's fine for his current position.

I think Pandora need's a small bit more refining, she is very bad for saying "uh, eh, and um" in her links that needs to be tightened up.

• Advertisement

Has anybody else noticed that Heart and Capital often use the same studio when recording interviews?

They just change the logo on the TV screens in the studio if they are recording a video. Smart idea, wondering was that the purpose from day one?

Has anybody else noticed that Heart and Capital often use the same studio when recording interviews?

They just change the logo on the TV screens in the studio if they are recording a video. Smart idea, wondering was that the purpose from day one?

I don't think your right, Heart and Capital both have modern studios (heart's installed in June, Capital's in December 2010). The heart studios are red and Capital's are blue.

gavindowd wrote: »
    I don't think your right, Heart and Capital both have modern studios (heart's installed in June, Capital's in December 2010). The heart studios are red and Capital's are blue.

That's funny because I saw a video of an interview done and I can't remember which it was either the Capital or Heart's logo was still on the top of the microphone arm.

That is only a lighting issue as a far as I know the studio's are changed by the flick of a button and Capital's studio turns red when the microphone is turned on anyway.

What does the time-frame matter anyway?

That's funny because I saw a video of an interview done and I can't remember which it was either the Capital or Heart's logo was still on the top of the microphone arm.

That is only a lighting issue as a far as I know the studio's are changed by the flick of a button and Capital's studio turns red when the microphone is turned on anyway.

What does the time-frame matter anyway?

Maybe the video was for the Big top 40 show (syndicated on Heart and Capital among others).

This is Heart's studio: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcE8_hyxpV0&list=UUdOAsr_x6lfS2Xwnzv0Gp3g&index=1

This is Capital's: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OERrZnPPH5g

It was a Heart interview recorded in the Capital studios for definite.

• Advertisement

RTE compared to ITV on the Capital breakfast show. Oh god.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

Anyone know why roberto was moved from mid morning on capital to heart ? he suited the capital format perfectly and for me is a btter jock than his replacement rich clarke.

heybaby wrote: »
    Anyone know why roberto was moved from mid morning on capital to heart ? he suited the capital format perfectly and for me is a btter jock than his replacement rich clarke.

Dis-agree a bit he couldn't really keep up with the ever changing music and imaging beds etc. only heard him once or twice on Heart but he suits it better. Rich Clarke in my opinion is perfect where he is.

RTE compared to ITV on the Capital breakfast show. Oh god.

Really? :rolleyes: What were they talking about and in what way?
    heybaby wrote: »

Roberto was sounding too old for the station and whenever I hear Rich, I quite like him. If Roberto didn't move, then James Barr wouldn't have been promoted so you've got to bring young talent through the ranks eventually.

smurfs5 wrote: »
    Really? :rolleyes: What were they talking about and in what way?

Roberto was sounding too old for the station and whenever I hear Rich, I quite like him. If Roberto didn't move, then James Barr wouldn't have been promoted so you've got to bring young talent through the ranks eventually.

They had an interview that some female reporter did for RTE and they were commenting on how we can make even someone getting hit on the "buttocks" sound like the latest bond flick! Dave Berry also revealed his mother is from Mayo!

Not very encouraging RAJARs for Capital. They've lost 12% of their listeners from this time last year which is 1/2 a million across the UK.

Some positive news in the form of Dave & Lisa's breakfast show, though, as they retain their 1.09 million listeners and the crown of London's most popular commercial breakfast show.

I know this is common knowledge already but my god BBC Radio 1 is literally the best radio station ever. They have got the balance just right and their DJ's a streets ahead. Imagine an Irish version of Radio 1.

Oh and cheers to smurfs5 for the Scott Mills tip off ;)

I know this is common knowledge already but my god BBC Radio 1 is literally the best radio station ever. They have got the balance just right and their DJ's a streets ahead. Imagine an Irish version of Radio 1.

Oh and cheers to smurfs5 for the Scott Mills tip off ;)

I know, I have never heard a station like it and many people say it is one of the best stations in the world. It has lost a bit of its edgyness which it had in abundance a few years ago but it is still unrivalled in terms of music variety (their playlist is consistently amazing with the best of the Top 40 and loads of new music that you wouldn't hear on other stations along with the best songs from the last few years) and the quality of their presenters. They get the best guests as well. In the last 2 weeks, for example, they've had David Attenborough, Mary Berry, Dermot O' Leary, Nicole Scherzinger, Russell Brand, The Saturdays and Mark Wahlberg, Stephen Fry and Example are all on this week.

This month is Access All Areas so you get to hear interviews with the controller, the presenters, the producers and the music director using questions from the audience as well as go behind the scenes at their new building.

I absolutely love Scott's show. Admittedly, it is starting to slip a bit now that Beccy and The One That Doesn't Speak (Scott's producer) are leaving. However, it has been and still is the only show on radio which I purposely turn on the radio to hear and run to the radio to listen to. Innuendo Bingo, Tap End, Real or No Real, Dear Scott are all brilliant. You wouldn't guess his age because the show still sounds so young and fresh. I really am obsessed!! :o:p
    I don't know if you saw this already but it is Chris Stark from Scott's show riding the massive BBC lifts in his underwear and the whole building (thousands of people can see him). I heard it live and the video is now up on YouTube, it is absolutely hilarious. :D
    Have a look: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbcJ2uMXYCg&list=UU-FQUIVQ-bZiefzBiQAa8Fw&index=4

Hypothetically speaking there is a new national CHR station setting up, whats your line up?

Still deciding mine.

6-10 Dermot and Dave
    10-1 Steve Haze
    1-4 Steve K
    4-7 Paul Bonass
    7-9 Ray Foley
    9-12 Adrian Kennedy

That's it....

• Advertisement

6-10 Dermot and Dave
    10-1 Steve Haze
    1-4 Steve K
    4-7 Paul Bonass
    7-9 Ray Foley
    9-12 Adrian Kennedy

That's it....

Liking it. Never heard Steve Haze what's he like?

Liking it. Never heard Steve Haze what's he like?

Quite an experienced jock, originally American. Worked on Atlantic 252, now sounding great doing drive on 96fm in Cork.

I think mine would be.......

6-10=Ray Foley
    10-1=Steve K
    1-4= Chris Greene
    4-6:30=Dara Quilty, Brian Maher & Lauren Kelly
    6:30-9=Michael Christian
    9-11=Paul Bonass
    11-2=Adrian Kennedy

I think mine would be.......

6-10=Ray Foley
    10-1=Steve K
    1-4= Chris Greene
    4-6:30=Dara Quilty, Brian Maher & Lauren Kelly
    6:30-9=Michael Christian
    9-11=Paul Bonass
    11-2=Adrian Kennedy

Chris Greene - iRadio?

Michael Christian?? - Is he the aussie that got into trouble over that phone call??

Starting Adrian at 11 is way too late for a phone-show, his peak listener time is from 10-10:30

Meant to post about the phone-show last week, I don't listen much but I gave it a go for a week and I must say it is great radio. Adrian and Jeremy are brilliant.

Chris Greene - iRadio?

Michael Christian?? - Is he the aussie that got into trouble over that phone call??

Starting Adrian at 11 is way too late for a phone-show, his peak listener time is from 10-10:30

Yes and yes.

Point taken but if I was going for a CHR station, I would try and ensure that the music takes preference and as a result, offering an alternative to the numerous talk shows on at the same time would be preferable. The majority of my target demographic would be in bed by the time Adrian starts and wouldn't be interested in his show.
    On 5Live, Stephen Nolan's show runs from 10 right through to 2am.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Uxbridge

Do you have figures to support that Gavin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

On 5Live, Stephen Nolan's show runs from 10 right through to 2am.

Is Tony Livesy not in 5Live from 1030-0100?

Is Tony Livesy not in 5Live from 1030-0100?

Yeah, Livesy is on Monday to Thursday and Nolan does Friday-Sundays.

• Advertisement

Uxbridge wrote: »
    Do you have figures to support that Gavin?

Head to the photos of facebook.com/fm104phoneshow , scroll down and you'll find it...

Advertisement