Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chartered Engineer Salary

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Euthro

30k starting wage for a graduate is very good in Ireland especially with no experience I did civil and you would be lucky to get 20-22k starting.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭who_am_I?

Gin77 wrote: »
    I'm a toolmaker studying Manufacturing technology part time in WIT. I should have a level 6 after this year. My hope if to get a level 7/8 degree.
    Given the salary figures on the thread I don't know if its worth completing the course.

Short answer is with your background and a level 8 and relocated down the road in Cork salarys start at 50k,

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭jiminho

Curiously, I know asking what salaries people expect to get is a touch and go topic but what would a Project Engineer/Civil Engineer in the water consultancy sector expect to make with 3-4 years experience, Chartered + a MSc in Enviro Engineering?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

jiminho wrote: »
    Curiously, I know asking what salaries people expect to get is a touch and go topic but what would a Project Engineer/Civil Engineer in the water consultancy sector expect to make with 3-4 years experience, Chartered + a MSc in Enviro Engineering?

Around €40-€45

godtabh wrote: »
    Around €40-€45

Thanks godtabh. Could you guesstimate what someone with similar qualifications would have earner pre-recession? And do you think 2-3 years would be a good time to come back to Ireland (currently in Canada)? Just your opinion more than anything else would be insightful, I know all these questions are like predicting the weather.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Around €40-€45

That seems a bit on the low side to me.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Thanks godtabh. Could you guesstimate what someone with similar qualifications would have earner pre-recession? And do you think 2-3 years would be a good time to come back to Ireland (currently in Canada)? Just your opinion more than anything else would be insightful, I know all these questions are like predicting the weather.

Pre recession you may have gotten upto €50k

2011 wrote: »
    That seems a bit on the low side to me.

With 8 years experience, chartered and a masters in engineering I'm not on much more than the €40-€45k now.

with 4 years experience chartered and a masters in engineering I was just above the higher limit pre recession.

There isn't great money to be made in civil engineering

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

With 8 years experience, chartered and a masters in engineering I'm not on much more than the €40-€45k now.

with 4 years experience chartered and a masters in engineering I was just above the higher limit pre recession.

There isn't great money to be made in civil engineering

Fair enough, if that is your discipline you would know better than me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

Pembily wrote: »
    26k is a lower starting salary for a Masters. They generally make an offer. 10% is considered a decent pay rise but it is all dependent on your performance.

In terms of Civils, some graduates are being offered positions via Jobsbridge. €26k is higher end of the scale in terms of what I've seen. I've seen a lot of €20k, €22k, some at €25k and then one position (CIE) which was €33k.

I'm out of college 6 months, just got a 15% increase and I'm still below €25k :cool:

Was the CIE one through Engineers Ireland? I heard they all got let go before their contract ended?

• Advertisement

Was the CIE one through Engineers Ireland? I heard they all got let go before their contract ended?

Yeah it was advertised through IEI, mad salary for a graduate position when the industry as it is in fairness. Would have thought job security would have been pretty good once you got your foot in the door there?

I think it some sore of scam. A fixed term contract with EI who second the staff out to CIE who then pay EI a management fee. Done to get around the recruitment ban. Went for a similar role with Railway Safety Commission and thats the way it was set up. You are not taken on as a permeant member of staff

Then why advertise it as a graduate role and why have the wages so high?

You would have to ask them

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Eimear_K

Hi there, looking for some advice. I'm a senior civil engineer, chartered, masters degree and 7 years experience (4 Ireland, 3 Australia). I currently live in Sydney and want to move home for personal reasons. I've started looking into salaries at home and the range seems to be huge. I mostly work in stormwater design and project management.

Does anyone have any suggestions for what kind of salary I could expect?

Eimear_K wrote: »
    Hi there, looking for some advice. I'm a senior civil engineer, chartered, masters degree and 7 years experience (4 Ireland, 3 Australia). I currently live in Sydney and want to move home for personal reasons. I've started looking into salaries at home and the range seems to be huge. I mostly work in stormwater design and project management.

Does anyone have any suggestions for what kind of salary I could expect?

I'd be more worried about getting a job

Hi there, me again. Still planning on moving back to Ireland, still living in hope that I'll get a useful reply!

There do seem to be jobs out there and I have an interview but I am completely at a loss as to what the salaries are like or whether the offer I have been given is fair. In summary - civil engineer, 7 - 8 yrs exp, chartered, masters... any ideas as to what is a reasonable expectation? 25 - 30k? 30 - 35k? 35-40k? 40 -45k? Complete ballpark is all I'm looking for and I'm sure the info will be useful to others :)

Btw, the offer is 35-40k bracket.

Really appreciate some guidance!

Eimear_K wrote: »
    Hi there, me again. Still planning on moving back to Ireland, still living in hope that I'll get a useful reply!

There do seem to be jobs out there and I have an interview but I am completely at a loss as to what the salaries are like or whether the offer I have been given is fair. In summary - civil engineer, 7 - 8 yrs exp, chartered, masters... any ideas as to what is a reasonable expectation? 25 - 30k? 30 - 35k? 35-40k? 40 -45k? Complete ballpark is all I'm looking for and I'm sure the info will be useful to others :)

Btw, the offer is 35-40k bracket.

Really appreciate some guidance!

If its the higher end of the bracket i would take it. Reality is there isnt much out there so to get anything is a plus

Thanks! I think you're right; very glad to go home to a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Interesting thread and a bit depressing as I'm pondering a return to Ireland. Is the job market really still that cut throat?
    Around €40-€45
    If its the higher end of the bracket i would take it.
    I find this confusing (although nothing about the Irish job market would surprise me) - 4 years experience @ €40-45k but 7 years experience @ €35-40k and 8 years experience €45k+?

• Advertisement

commited wrote: »
    Interesting thread and a bit depressing as I'm pondering a return to Ireland. Is the job market really still that cut throat?

I find this confusing (although nothing about the Irish job market would surprise me) - 4 years experience @ €40-45k but 7 years experience @ €35-40k and 8 years experience €45k+?

One is speculation one is being offered

One is speculation one is being offered
    And a third is being earned? Seems like speculation is difficult when there is such a disparity in what earnings are across Engineering - seems like there is far too much luck involved.

its not about luck. Its how competitive you are. My 8 years experience may not be a match to your 6. Any employer may deem my MBA worth more than your MSc. It all depends

• Registered Users Posts: 4 tommyboru

Returning to Ireland is an insane move for an engineer established abroad. Stay where you are. You may get a job but you will be made redundant when you reach your 50s. Assuming that the standards of today will be what you receive later in your life is madness.

Stay where you are. Ireland is an economic colony. What is happening in the United States and other leading industrialised nations will happen in Ireland but will be far more severe. The Irish are politically expendible. You should have realised that already. It has happened throughout history and it will happen again. We are always put on the frontline of hell by our handlers, the British, the Americans, the Europeans. We've always been expended at will.

Seriously, do not come back here. It is fast becoming a socially-divided ghetto. Even if you get a decent salary your prospects are hopeless unless you are excellent at what you do. Ireland's uncompetitiveness will stunt your development and within a few years you will be unable to compete internationally. Eventually you will be replaced for a younger worker. You will be left go before you can afford to be. You will have no assets as your mortgage and costs will chew up all your salary. The business 'people' will try to convince you otherwise. Do not come here if you want to work as an engineer. €50k per year is useless to you; you cannot build an asset base and have a family.

For the love of God save your children. Stay away from this blighted place.

Jaysus.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

tommyboru wrote: »
    Returning to Ireland is an insane move for an engineer established abroad. Stay where you are. You may get a job but you will be made redundant when you reach your 50s. Assuming that the standards of today will be what you receive later in your life is madness.

Stay where you are. Ireland is an economic colony. What is happening in the United States and other leading industrialised nations will happen in Ireland but will be far more severe. The Irish are politically expendible. You should have realised that already. It has happened throughout history and it will happen again. We are always put on the frontline of hell by our handlers, the British, the Americans, the Europeans. We've always been expended at will.

Seriously, do not come back here. It is fast becoming a socially-divided ghetto. Even if you get a decent salary your prospects are hopeless unless you are excellent at what you do. Ireland's uncompetitiveness will stunt your development and within a few years you will be unable to compete internationally. Eventually you will be replaced for a younger worker. You will be left go before you can afford to be. You will have no assets as your mortgage and costs will chew up all your salary. The business 'people' will try to convince you otherwise. Do not come here if you want to work as an engineer. €50k per year is useless to you; you cannot build an asset base and have a family.

For the love of God save your children. Stay away from this blighted place.

This is brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Eng86

Was just researching engineer salarys and came across this thread, have things changed much in the last 2/3 years with job opportinities/salarys in the market for you guys?

Ive been working as a structural engineering graduate for around 2 years in a design office for a big enough consultancy in dublin, was initially taken on at 23,000 and bumped up to 26,000 last summer.

Its still fairly tough going on 26k living and renting in dublin, things seem to be getting fairly busy now and ive seen a good few people jumping ship to other companies over the past year and starting to wonder if i should do similare to get a potential jump in pay.

How much would you expect to earn before getting chartered? Will probably go for IEI chartership in the next year or two and the i struct e at some stage after that.

Just trying to figure out the lay of the land i suppose, would be interested in hearing anyone in a similar positions experiences.

Salaries have picked up massively at the junior end of the scale in the past two years. All down to a lack of quality people. There are graduates around but as someone with two years experience now behind you, you should be able to get a few offers from other companies. I would say I've had a different recruiter contact me on linked in almost monthly for the past 6 months.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Eng86 wrote: »
    Was just researching engineer salarys and came across this thread, have things changed much in the last 2/3 years with job opportinities/salarys in the market for you guys?

Ive been working as a structural engineering graduate for around 2 years in a design office for a big enough consultancy in dublin, was initially taken on at 23,000 and bumped up to 26,000 last summer.

Its still fairly tough going on 26k living and renting in dublin, things seem to be getting fairly busy now and ive seen a good few people jumping ship to other companies over the past year and starting to wonder if i should do similare to get a potential jump in pay.

How much would you expect to earn before getting chartered? Will probably go for IEI chartership in the next year or two and the i struct e at some stage after that.

Just trying to figure out the lay of the land i suppose, would be interested in hearing anyone in a similar positions experiences.

just to give an idea, starting salary for a Graduate Engineer with 1 years experience in the LA here is €28,975, rising to €31,893, €35,437, €38,666 yearly. that's the limit for the scale.

• Advertisement

kceire wrote: »
    just to give an idea, starting salary for a Graduate Engineer with 1 years experience in the LA here is €28,975, rising to €31,893, €35,437, €38,666 yearly. that's the limit for the scale.
    And out of curiosity, what does an engineer working with the LA get put on after that scale limit has been reached?

Advertisement