Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Facial Laser Hair Removal Experiences

Options
  • 16-01-2013 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

Hello everyone,
    I am currently undergoing laser hair removal on my face- upper lip, chin, sides of face. I am wondering can anyone explain to me their experience of it and how much has it been sucessfull? And also after each session, how much should the hair have been noticeably reduced? I am after my third session, but I still have regrowth and the feeling on my face after trimming the hair, even though it is blond and cant be seen.. its really getting me down. I have also met a new guy and I cant go on a date as I am afraid he will notice as soon as he kisses me :( I am fair haired but the lady in the clinic said that this laser works on destroying hair through ultrasound than targeting pigment with light, Does anyone know anything about it? I cant seem to get a straight forward answer from searching the net.
    Thanks very much.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Honestly, you're better off going for electrolysis, which is a lot more time consuming, but it has permanent results. I've heard about the ultrasound hair removal, but it just seems gimmicky.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭jadie

Hi, I would second the suggestion of Electrolysis, its the only proven method of permanent hair removal. That ultrasound method doesn't work. My mother got several sessions of it in a beauty salon and now the salon doesn't even do it anymore & offers electrolysis instead. Have a look at this thread on hairtell its about applisonix

http://www.hairtell.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/101882/1.html

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I had laser done on my face and neck last year for my wedding. I found it amazing. I was at the stage of having to - um - maintain the hair through shaving twice a day (waxing, threading etc didn't work for me).

I had it done with an Alexandrite laser, and I totally recommend it. I had 8 sessions, and I'm down to having to maintain it about once a week. The girl that did it said that if I went for another 2 sessions it would almost completely get rid of it. They do say that sometimes it needs to be 'topped up' every 6-12 months, especially if it's hormonal growth from PCOS or similar (just one session). To me, it's worth it.

Only thing is, it has had the unexpected side effect of extra hairs growing on my tummy instead. Still - only my husband sees my tummy - everybody sees my face!!

It does work better on dark hair.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭shimmery

Hi there, and thank you so much for your replies!
    I looked at the website you mentioned above, and those comments were made nearly 4 years ago. I think that laser hair removal has advanced so much in recent years that red and blond hair can now be targeted, or so my laser zapper lady has informed me. They cant offer a service that they dont believe works, can they? I cant remember the name of the laser also. I am just wondering how people coped with getting rid of hair in between sessions. I tried hair removal cream and it didnt work properly or remove all the hair, so I left it on for 2 mins longer and it burnt my face a little :(:(

Its sooo embarrassing, wish I could wear a brown paper bag :(
    Any advice is greatly appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

shimmery wrote: »
    They cant offer a service that they dont believe works, can they?

Loads of places do though sadly, I know a few people who have been ripped off.

Find somewhere that has a good reputation, ask around loads, find out the name of the machine they use and look it up online, just try and get as much information as you can, because there are a lot of people in the beauty industry who are just full of bull****. Sad but true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭THEZAPPA

Hi there, and thank you so much for your replies!
    I looked at the website you mentioned above, and those comments were made nearly 4 years ago. I think that laser hair removal has advanced so much in recent years that red and blond hair can now be targeted, or so my laser zapper lady has informed me. They cant offer a service that they dont believe works, can they? I cant remember the name of the laser also. I am just wondering how people coped with getting rid of hair in between sessions. I tried hair removal cream and it didnt work properly or remove all the hair, so I left it on for 2 mins longer and it burnt my face a little :(:(

Its sooo embarrassing, wish I could wear a brown paper bag :(
    Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I suffer from red and brown hairs on my neck and went for lazer hair removal and it didn't work for me at all after 6 sessions. I was told I was the perfect candidate as I have fair skin and dark hair but that it doesn't work on red hairs. It did remove some of the brown hair but now its back the same as it was before :(

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭shimmery

Sorry in relation to the above poster THEZAPPA, was this laser used to target pigment through light? Or to destroy the hair through ultrasound? I am undertaking laser via the ultrasound method.
    I am so worried.. How can a service be offered which DOES NOT WORK, I dont understand, it costs so much money, if it does not work, you should get money back. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭THEZAPPA

Sorry in relation to the above poster THEZAPPA, was this laser used to target pigment through light? Or to destroy the hair through ultrasound? I am undertaking laser via the ultrasound method.
    I am so worried.. How can a service be offered which DOES NOT WORK, I dont understand, it costs so much money, if it does not work, you should get money back. :eek:

It was by light using the light sheer duet gold standard. They did warn me that it may not work but i decided to do it anyway if their was a chance of getting rid of the problem.

I really hope it works out for you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭jadie

The ultrasound is NOT laser, its an unproven method that just came out in the past few years, your beauty therapist is incorrect saying there has been "major" advances in laser, that isn't even laser hair removal in the first place. Laser hair removal itself only works on dark coarse hair, electrolysis works on all hair types/

Advertisement