Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wilk's 2013 Training Log

Options
  • 15-01-2013 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

I am new to cycling so think this is a good way to motivate myself to get out.

My main goals are to up my cadence as I feel my average is to low being in the mid 70's, the next goal is to cycle to sligo from dublin and back in 4 days around march and lastly get out with swordscc to see how I do and learn some tricks at the same time :D

So far:

Jan - Week 1 Time:1hr 20m
    Distance:38.2 km

Jan - Week 2 Time:1hr 05m
    Distance:30.8 km

Jan - Week 3 Time:0hr 45m
    Distance:21.4 km

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭t'bear

You will be surprised when you look back at this first post in about 1 months time. Keep pedalling

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭WilkBMC

Yeah I definately think so, I just have to make sure I keep getting out I have a plan to do a good bit over the weekend cause my numbers have been small in the last while ha ha

Finally got out this week only managed 15km tonight (3 laps of a local area) as the winds where almost pushing the bike over at times ha ha.

Looking at getting a turbo trainer tomorrow to knock up some miles on nights like tonight.

Jan - Week 3 Time:2hr 20m
    Distance:21.4 km + 15.4km+1hr turbo trainer

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ryder

Maybe youve done this.....but the cycle from Dublin to sligo is relatively long so it might be worth making out a countdown calendar and then trying to increase your distance by 10% each week until finally doing the event distance.

Normally, I think you can get away with doing up to half of the distance beforehand but your event sounds like 4 days of 100k cycling....so planning is key.

Anyway my 2c, good luck

Today and yesterday I have been doing 30minute spins on the turbo trainer to get some mileage into my legs and also working on my cadence.
    Ryder wrote: »
    Maybe youve done this.....but the cycle from Dublin to sligo is relatively long so it might be worth making out a countdown calendar and then trying to increase your distance by 10% each week until finally doing the event distance.

Normally, I think you can get away with doing up to half of the distance beforehand but your event sounds like 4 days of 100k cycling....so planning is key.

Anyway my 2c, good luck

Yeah thats exactly the plan mate, thanks for the advice aswell, recently with the weather and busy weekends I havent been out for any proper spins but I plan to do a good spin tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Managed my longest cycle in a while 40.2km in an 1hr and 20mins fairly happy with it but I got flustered around rowans bog as I didn't realise there was such a big downhill part and the whole road was covered in mud so I was feathering the brake the whole way down trying not to kill myself and my legs are sore now as the last part of the cycle the wind wasn't letting up at all god damn it :D.

So my total for Jan Week 3 is
    Jan - Week 3 Time:3hr 40m
    Distance:77.0 km + 1hr turbo trainer

I might also try loosen my legs up later with a small bit on the turbo trainer.

Only managed to go on the turbo trainer tonight as I didn't get home till 8 and it was starting to freeze once I had eaten.

I worked mainly on heart rate sessions and keeping a high cadence as I am waiting on an additional GSC10 to arrive so I can monitor my cadence accurately with the garmin.

I was averaging 154bpm and maxed out at 171bpm but was maintaining 160's for a minute at a time for first 15mins while keeping a high cadence, I then did 30mins of interval training pushing it for 10mins then a slight drop in pace for a minute then pushing it again for 10 more mins then a minute rest then all out war for the last 8 minutes, wasnt bad but I doubt the turbo trainer will last its already making noises or maybe that was me :D

Finally got out again but only for 18.7km still very slippy on some of the roads but glad to have gotten out its something i suppose,

I have a plan for some bigger miles and longers times in the saddle after some guidance from one of the members here, I am getting fitted on my bike aswell on the 2nd of feb as I think i am going to need as much help as I can get before this return cycle to sligo from dublin.

Jan - Week 4 Time:1hr 25m
    Distance:18.7 km + 45mins turbo trainer

Got out for a good spin nearly 4 hours in saddle and managed 93.4km, had some issues along the way the first being a flooded road and the second that I am not used to the navigation of my garmin which took me on a big detour through finglas but I managed to get so was fairly happy but was feeling the pain on the return leg at about 65km didnt bring enough food with me but the lesson has been learnt now :D

Jan - Week 4 Time:5hr 20m
    Distance:18.7 km + 45mins turbo trainer + 94.4km

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

Well done dude! Keep it up!

• Advertisement

Thanks Colm, I am going to do a shorter run tomorrow just to give the legs a spin if I can move.

Got out for a 21.6km spin nothing special but the legs felt good not too sore.

Very happy with my mileage this week.

Jan - Week 4 Time:6hr 08m
    Distance:134.7km + 45mins turbo trainer

Managed to get out for a 21km spin, the first 25mins was with my brother so wasn't at the fastest pace as he doesn't really cycle but went after it for the last 25mins when I was on my own.

Feb - Week 1 Time:0hr 52m
    Distance: 21.7km

Me and the brother were out again, I did the second lap on my own.

Feb - Week 1 Time:2hr 02m
    Distance: 21.7km + 31.5km

Managed 22km on saturday with a few little climbs, then today me and my cousin managed 105.6km and with alot of climbs and alot of getting lost damn garmin.

Feb - Week 1 Time:7hr 02m
    Distance: 180.8km

Very happy with my progress sligo isn't seeming so daunting and also managed to get a proper bike fitting which has given me a little bit more of a comfortable position and I am working on my posture as it was the major point he raised which is causing alot of strain on my lower back and knee.

Monday night I decided on using the turbo trainer so did a solid 40mins working on my posture and high cadence and then tonight I did an 1hr 12mins and 34.1km which I was happy with as I am focusing on my posture a lot after my bike fitting.

Feb - Week 2 Time:1hr 52m
    Distance: 34.1km + 40mins turbo trainer

Couldnt get out until today because of work, but managed 120km with two of my mates, really good spin except for the weather which was absolutely terrible and two puncture for one of the lads.

Feb - Week 2 Time:6hr 20m
    Distance: 34.1km + 40mins turbo trainer + 120.6km

Total distance this week
    154.7km

Work was insane for feb week 3 so didn't get out at all but trying to make up for it this week and last.

Got out for 31.2km on the 18th of feb, then 38.6km on the 20th, 57.5km and first commute to work turned down free drink and all to do it, then finished off last week with a 32.7km spin on Saturday

Feb - Week 4 Time:5hr 40m
    Distance:160km

So march week 1 and I'm near the end of my training for our sponsored cycle to Sligo and feeling very confident, unfortunately though there was a problem with getting all the days off so because of work I will only be doing the return journey of te Ross foundation cycle

Good start to this week got out for a spin to malahide and back a good 40.2km cycle and managed to do it in about 1hr 19mins so well chuffed with my pace and cadence.

I am going to post the link for the Ross foundation charity if anyone would like to sponsor us, it's for a very good cause and all help is greatly appreciated.

http://www.mycharity.ie/event/aaron__gilmartin_s_event

With work last week I only managed another 17.1km on the wednesday and then 54.3km on the sunday.

March - Week 1 Time:3hr 42m
    Distance:111.6km

• Advertisement

Week 2 of march is the final week before we do our charity cycle for the ross nugent foundation and I have been taking it easy not much cycling done yet, but I managed a 7km run yesterday as the bike was in getting a service before the sligo cycle and I will hopefully get out tomorrow for a decent spin to get warmed up.

Week 2 of march brought with it the Ross Nugent Charity cycle and what a weekend it was, I cycled 20km to malahide with my two bags for the weekend and we were collected by the group going to Sligo, we arrived in sligo at 10.30 friday night and hit the hay around 1.30, got up at 8 to get some grub into us and get some photos taken etc and then managed to get on route by about 11ish and the first 1hr was unbelievable the weather wasnt bad a little windy but the downhills from rosses point where fantastic, managed to break one side of a link on the chain in around this time and that made for a paranoid 65km climb into cavan town and up through cuilcagh mountain aswell which I managed in sitting position as I didnt want the chain to break while I was standing.

We had a good stop over just before the climb though as the group was getting a little seperated at times and we needed to get back together before the hill climb and get a bit of grub on board at the same time.

http://app.strava.com/activities/43909365

Then yesterday we set off from cavan into some strong winds and hailstones and even some snow at times which was tough but thankfully the route wasnt as hilly etc and with very few big climbs like the first day, again about half way through the cycle we stopped in kells grabbed some food and regrouped and then made our way onto ashbourne and on into swords were we again regrouped and made the final push into malahide.

http://app.strava.com/activities/43909354

All in all a great weekend and feeling good, next year I will be getting the days off work and doing the four days.

If anyone would like to sponsor me the site is below.

http://www.mycharity.ie/event/aaron__gilmartin_s_event

March - Week 2 Time:10hr 37m
    Distance: 249.9km

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

Well done Neil! Looks like 2 tough back to back days! Next you'll be doing them all in one go ;)

colm_gti wrote: »
    Well done Neil! Looks like 2 tough back to back days! Next you'll be doing them all in one go ;)

Thanks Colm, and yeah thats the plan I will be doing 2 or 3 days of the cycle against suicide in may so will keep training at the longer distance until then.

Some photos of the cycle, such an excellent weekend and so well setup

Week 3 March Consisted of 32.3km (1hr11m) on the old turbo, 72.4km (2hr36m) out around the Naul, 29km (59m) out around lusk.

March - Week 3 Time:4hr 46m
    Distance: 133.7km
    Week 4 March consisted of 25.2km (48m) again around lusk, then my first trip up Howth Hill 69.5km (2hr38m) and finally 21.2km (42m) again around lusk.

March - Week 4 Time:4hr 08m
    Distance: 115.9km

This month has been a disaster because of work and being in Germany since the start of April, I managed to get out briefly last weekend though when I was back for 66.9km spin and 21.4km sprint so not all bad but felt the pain.

April - Week 3 Time: 3hr 07m
    Distance: 88.3km

Really happy with my YTD and ill be picking up the intensity now its coming into summer.

Distance: 1,494.3km
    Time: 55hr 26m
    Elevation: 9,738m

This week turned out to be a good one, I finally got a lend of a MTB so I can cycle while I am in Stuttgart.

Spent some of wednesday out for a 45km cycle around Stuttgart checking out the sites etc then Thursday after work I did 15km and a solid hill climb and spent Saturday and Sunday doing the cycle against suicide and my own thing aswell as I couldn't hang around for the entire cycle both days.

May - Week 1 Time: 11hr 38m
    Distance: 279.7km

Update for May and June

May - Week 2 Time: 0hr 0m
    Distance: 0km

May - Week 3 Time: 0hr 27m
    Distance: 11.2km
    Elevation: 97m

May - Week 4 Time: 5hr 33m
    Distance: 163.4km
    Elevation: 873m