Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Language and Discrimination in the Workplace

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Oakboy

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    Thread is about foreign nationals speaking their Native languages not Irish/UK Nationals speaking hobby languages.

The mask slips ;) not that there was much of a mask to begin with

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

I dated a Slovakian once, can speak a fair level of Slovak, and if you can speak Slovak you will automatically understand Czech. I was sitting on the 16 bus one day going out to Rathmines, behind these 2 beautiful young Czech girls who seemed to be sisters.

The girls were arguing away, fairly loudly, in what seemed to be verging on a heated disagreement. But next thing, these oul wans got on the bus outside Whitefriar Street Chapel, and they were getting all concerned and het up about this big row the girls were having.

One ould wan started grumbling about the "babble", and another about foreigners in general. Their discomfort was paranoia. I thought it was pretty funny because do you know what the two girls were loudly talking about, with such animation? ...Laundry. They were discussing the washing machine in a flat. The most boring topic in the world.

My advice to the OP is practical. Don't be paranoid about these conversations. Engage your colleagues by asking them what they are talking about. You'll probably find that your paranoia has run away with itself, which is natural. If you engage your colleagues, they'll also be likely to cut down on the Polish.

There is no legal remedy in these cases, so you might as well be practical about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Oakboy wrote: »
    The mask slips ;)
    Whatever dude !

If off topic snide personal attacks is all you have to offer then welcome to my ignore list.

Advertisement