Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gap Above Forum/Thread Name

Options
  • 14-01-2013 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Earlier today I started getting this gap beneath the forum or thread name. Using Adblock but there was no ad there before and it doesn't create gaps where the ads would usually be further down the page so not sure what's causing it.

EDIT: Title should say 'below' rather than 'above'.

Before:

CSM1z.png

After:

5mOfi.png
    Post edited by Shield on
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

There are new CSS rules in place to accommodate new types of ads, which you are blocking.

Danny

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Was just about to post the same query, thought it was something to do with ads alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Neil

you may notice inline ads are now gone for logged in users.

P_1 wrote: »
    Was just about to post the same query, thought it was something to do with ads alright.

Have you got ads turned off? Because if so then the gap shouldn't be there for you.

Danny

Have you got ads turned off? Because if so then the gap shouldn't be there for you.

Danny

I just run Chrome with the adblock on, I know I can do it with my user CP for boards but I'd rather just run my browser with all adds blocked.

• Advertisement

P_1 wrote: »
    I just run Chrome with the adblock on, I know I can do it with my user CP for boards but I'd rather just run my browser with all adds blocked.

It's not mutually exclusive - you can have AdBlock on and turn off ads on Boards; by turning off ads on boards you won't get that gap

Danny

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

I just disabled ads there and the gap is gone. (I'm subscribed, but the stars haven't shown up yet)

It's not mutually exclusive - you can have AdBlock on and turn off ads on Boards; by turning off ads on boards you won't get that gap

Danny

Fair enough, the gaps don't actually bother me too much truth be told so it's no hassle either way ;)

SaulGoode9 wrote: »
    I just disabled ads there and the gap is gone. (I'm subscribed, but the stars haven't shown up yet)

And then by magic you received your stars

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

The ad on the front page is ridiculous, half my page is taken up with when I click onto boards

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Max Power

^^ This.

What the hell? Adverts.ie ads are taking up half of my screen when I click home. Bloody annoying. Is this what Boards.ie is going to be like from now on? Ads everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

I'm having an issue viewing Boards since this morning on my ipad. Basically instead of th forum filling the width of the screen, the forum display area has been squeezed in, so I now have a maybe three inch gap on the right hand side of th display where it is just grey.

Is this related?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

That Adverts ad on the homepage is bloody ridiculous. Takes up half the screen, couldn't be more intrusive if it tried.

And I have no interest in the Renault Megane one that is doing the same thing on this page.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

There are a couple of pixel ads that are single white pixels and they show up against the black skin at both sides of the ad on the top of the page, looks a bit strange. Attached.

Link to:
    http://adserver.adtech.de/adlink|809|4077806|0|2530|AdId=8249291;BnId=1;itime=195415524;key=82;nodecode=yes;link=http://www.boards.ie
    and
    http://adserver.adtech.de/adlink|809|4077805|0|2530|AdId=8249291;BnId=1;itime=195416207;key=82;nodecode=yes;link=http://www.boards.ie

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,100 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Gordon wrote: »
    There are a couple of pixel ads that are single white pixels and they show up against the black skin at both sides of the ad on the top of the page, looks a bit strange. Attached.

Got direct links to one? They sound like little more than webbugs to do little more than track users and cookie them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I'm not one to moan about a free service, but like... I'm sure there's a more graceful way of integrating ads into the site than this! Couldn't be more obnoxious if it tried!

236338.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

The front page is insane. I'm not against the ads and I've always had adblock disabled on the site but currently when I go onto the front page I can see two threads. I'm a front page drive-by guy. I'll jump on, refresh the page and pick a thread from recently posted list. The need to scroll down on that page is going to heavily reduce my browsing.

On the forums it doesn't bother me that much, the inline ads didn't bother me that much but that front page ad is too much.

Have to agree, the size of that ad is totally OTT. Can you imagine the ructions that would happen of regular users had their sigs that large?

For comparison sake, this is what the frontpage looks like using Chrome with it's adblock feature:
    1NJWX

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Look at the state of the homepage banner ad!

Honest to goodness can't be dealing with that on every single page, editing a post, looking at a user profile, all have stupid banner adverts across the top.

Is this how the site is meant to be / is this a new addition to adverts on the Boards site? (rather than a glitch)

Think part of the problem is with the older skins. In the new one the lay out horizontally, in the older beta the 2 smaller ads stack on top of the bigger one, making the cluster**** we see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,563 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Running Chrome with AdBlock too and the gap is pretty annoying.

EDIT: If you right click where the Ad should be and go 'AdBlock' -> 'Block This Ad' and then mess around with the slider it gets rid of the blank white gap where the Ad should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Seriously lads, this is ****ing atrocious.

236364.jpg

Spear wrote: »
    Got direct links to one? They sound like little more than webbugs to do little more than track users and cookie them.
    Gordon wrote: »

Link to:
    http://adserver.adtech.de/adlink|809|4077806|0|2530|AdId=8249291;BnId=1;itime=195415524;key=82;nodecode=yes;link=http://www.boards.ie
    and
    http://adserver.adtech.de/adlink|809|4077805|0|2530|AdId=8249291;BnId=1;itime=195416207;key=82;nodecode=yes;link=http://www.boards.ie

I won't go into specifics too much, but we have to display all containers in which we load ads on the page at download time. javascript then loads in the specific ad into its own slot. now if we don't have an ad running we serve a 1px gif file which should be transparent (to give the illusion there's nothing there) but in this case it's *le sigh* white. I'll be looking into this in the morning.
    Dave! wrote: »
    I'm not one to moan about a free service, but like... I'm sure there's a more graceful way of integrating ads into the site than this! Couldn't be more obnoxious if it tried!

image snip

I'll fix that in the morning, they are *NOT* meant to display like that. the most these ads should take is 90 pixels of vertical height.

Dave, can you reply as to which skin you're using?
    Seriously lads, this is ****ing atrocious.

image snip

as with dave, can you tell me the skin you're using?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Cool, thanks!

I'm using "Boards.ie Beta"

• Registered Users Posts: 18,907 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

as with dave, can you tell me the skin you're using?

Yeah, it's "white"

The issue with the ads taking up more than 90 pixels in vertical height on the home page is fixed now.

If you don't see this fixed, let me know.

Much better, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

The issue with the ads taking up more than 90 pixels in vertical height on the home page is fixed now.

If you don't see this fixed, let me know.

Any feedback on the issues on iPads?

• Advertisement

adox wrote: »
    Any feedback on the issues on iPads?
    just sitting down with an ipad and a coffee now, should have a fix by end of the day. I'll post here with any updates.

Advertisement