Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

More Mad_Lad Madness. Prius V S3 on Gas

Options
  • 13-01-2013 1:49pm

Alight folks I did the calculations and a 2008 Audi S3 Quattro with 265 BHP and 258 Lbs of torque on LPG @ 81C Litre in Kilcullen would cost 48 Euro's a week for the same distance I do in the Prius, roughly 750 kms, based on Audi's claim of 31 mpg combined consumption.

The Prius costs around 61 Euro's based on 1.55 L of petrol. @58-60 mpg Winter tyres killing my 65 mpg figure.

The manual S3 0-60 time =5.8 Seconds V 10.5 Seconds for the Prius! :D

Road tax is 710 Euro's for the 08 model or €1200 A year based on 199 g/km Co2.

Now this is the exciting bit.

The 2013 Model S3 has a combined consumption of 41 mpg :eek: Yep that's right, I checked.

So to cover my distance a week would cost @81C/L €42.00 for 300 HP and 280 LB torque, best thing is the Road tax would cost €570 per year for the manual or DSG @159 g/km co2 for the DSG V 162 for the Manual.

I seriously don't know why more car manufacturers don't make LPG cars, but I can tell you one thing there is no way in hell I would ever drive a boring rattle box diesel again. My next car will be leccy or LPG.

But it just goes to show there is absolutely no need for modern diesels with their false mpg figures and many problems related to emissions controls and no flywheel problems either.

The absolute killer fact is that there is such fantastic value on 2nd hand petrols V diesels making it an even greater no brainier choice.

Now the S3 is an extreme example of fun motoring on the cheap.

I wonder how much my insurance would go up based on 11 years no claim ?

I currently pay 500 on the Prius, so I bet the S3 would go up to at least 750 Euro's ?

Could LPG really bring fun back to motoring ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,390 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Do you not think that maybe the claimed mpg for the new s3 might be just as false as the ones made for diesel cars?

Also having all those horses is no good if you're trying to get the best mpg

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Do you not think that maybe the claimed mpg for the new s3 might be just as false as the ones made for diesel cars?

Also having all those horses is no good if you're trying to get the best mpg

probably true too, but I wouldn't get to use half those horses in commuter traffic, but I could let flex it's muscles now and then.

I couldn't see it costing more than the Prius on Petrol either way you look at it.

BTW I'm not saying I'm getting one, I'm just letting people know the alternatives.

BTW I'm not saying I'm getting one, I'm just letting people know the alternatives.

.... The alternatives to a prius? The majority of Irish motorists don't need telling :D

How much is an s3 again?

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    How much is an s3 again?

Eah, depends on if you buy 2nd hand or new of course, but the one I was looking at on carzone was a 2008, 35K miles 16,950.

New prob close to 40 K

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Neilw

I had a Prius rental for a few weeks, it was the most boring, numb, heavy feeling unbalanced car I've ever driven. Life is too short to punish yourself by owning one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

I never knew there was a LPG in kilcullen, that's makes it more interesting.
    So what I'd be thinking, u could get the higher spec petrol, which would be a couple of grand cheaper than the diesel.
    Convert it to LPG and have money left over??
    How much to convert? 1500?

Neilw wrote: »
    I had a Prius rental for a few weeks, it was the most boring, numb, heavy feeling unbalanced car I've ever driven. Life is too short to punish yourself by owning one.

It's not a bad car and for it's size the economy is great and it's reliability is fantastic. Not the most fun for sure. But a sensible practical car a good work horse.

The Prius doesn't pretend to be anything more.

I never knew there was a LPG in kilcullen, that's makes it more interesting.
    So what I'd be thinking, u could get the higher spec petrol, which would be a couple of grand cheaper than the diesel.
    Convert it to LPG and have money left over??
    How much to convert? 1500?

Well the place in Kilcullen charges 1000 for 4 cylinder engines.

All the vag Petrols 1.4 + are chain cam too, not suggesting anyone go for VAG I just used the above as an example and to open peoples minds to the fact diesel isn't always best.

A 50 mpg Diesel will cost 65 Euro's to do the same KMs as I do per week.

So basically 30 mpg LPG would be between 7-10 Euro's cheaper to run than a 50 mpg Diesel.

Converting the Prius would =30 Euro per week maybe 33 if it's not quiet as efficient.

• Advertisement

RoverJames wrote: »
    .... The alternatives to a prius? The majority of Irish motorists don't need telling :D

Indeed, but I prefer the Prius to a rattlebox diesel, unless it's a very very quiet car like an A6 TDI that has lots of sound proofing, then I could live with it maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

Aren't cars converted to LPG up to 20 percent harder on LPG than they would be on petrol. I'd say an s3 running on LPG would achieve a lot closer to 20 mpg than 31mpg. As already an s3 is not a car you buy if you are interested in fuel economy.

Bpmull wrote: »
    Aren't cars converted to LPG up to 20 percent harder on LPG than they would be on petrol. I'd say an s3 running on LPG would achieve a lot closer to 20 mpg than 31mpg. As already an s3 is not a car you buy if you are interested in fuel economy.

Don't think it's anything like that with modern conversions.

Don't think it's anything like that with modern conversions.

I just heard that figure. Do the cars still have to be started on petrol and then switched over to LPG when there warmed up.

I just heard that figure. Do the cars still have to be started on petrol and then switched over to LPG when there warmed up.

Yes I think so.

Yes I think so.

I think it is a good idea alright LPG conversions I done a project on converting cars to LPG in college. LPG produces about 20 percent less co2 emissions than petrol so that is a good thing.

According to WIKI

" In particular, it reduces CO2 emissions by around 35% compared to petrol."

I read somewhere where it stated that LPG reduces the toxic emissions compared to diesel by massive amounts, I'll see if I can dig it up, but C02 is harmless to human health.

It's bewildering to think the E.U concentrate on C02 emissions and promote diesel vehicles which is just wrong!

Anyway If I were the E.U I would be promoting much more effort into Thorium and L.F.T.R research so we could make hydrogen to run our electric cars, heat homes etc all with 0 emissions of any kind and have a few hundred thousand years of cheap clean energy.

It's there which is the saddest part of all.

OK rant over.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

According to WIKI

" In particular, it reduces CO2 emissions by around 35% compared to petrol."

I read somewhere where it stated that LPG reduces the toxic emissions compared to diesel by massive amounts, I'll see if I can dig it up, but C02 is harmless to human health.

It's bewildering to think the E.U concentrate on C02 emissions and promote diesel vehicles which is just wrong!
    Was just about to comment on this, LPG's "weakest" gain over the Petrol and Diesel is the CO2 emission amount (ie being marginally better than diesel, much better than petrol), however this is misleading as the other, actually harmful to humans, emissions are far better:
    Even compared to petrol, which itself is low in NOx, the best quality bi-fuel gas engines produce fewer NOx emissions and virtually eliminate emissions of particulates.
    See this thread:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=82547377&postcount=119

As another alternative to the S3, an A5 2.0TFSI remaps to 265bhp and 290ft/lb of torque (ie like the Audi S4 of times past) yet also gets a claimed 7l/100km (40mpg). Fast, looks/sounds good, beats may Diesels for economy, beats both fuels in environmental impact and addition of LPG fueling system actually dramatically increases cars total range.. perfect package for the current times.

AudiS5Red_01.jpg

Nice car Matt but it would cost more than an S3.

I wasn't as impressed with the A5 as I was the A4, though the A5 has a better boot, saloon boots are really useless.

Having said that the A5 is a nice car to sit in and drive.

But yeah more cars should be LPG from the factory. Just think if those horrible city buses changed to LPG, the cleaner air would be the biggest benefit. Diesel should be banned !

That place in Kilcullen that sells it usually drops the price to 75 C L in summer, seemingly it's more expensive in winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Nice car Matt but it would cost more than an S3.
    I was cheating and thinking used, that model came out in late 2008. :)

• Advertisement

Matt Simis wrote: »
    I was cheating and thinking used, that model came out in late 2008. :)

Did the A5 not come out in 07 ?

The 3.0 models came out in 07, think the 1.8 and 2.0 came in 2008

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

But it just goes to show there is absolutely no need for modern diesels with their false mpg figures

I always get above the average mpg stated for my car. I thought these figures were independently assessed anyway?

As for the rest of your post I fully agree. Although I don't think all diesels are rattle boxes. I love my diesel engine.

But yes there's lots of problems with modern diesels - DMF, DPF, EGRs etc etc. And insane value in petrol cars (anything over 2L anyway), just name your price. Just see how popular LPG is in Holland and other European countries, for example.

Rewind back 6 months, and I'd be buying a petrol car and getting the conversion done, instead of the trying to buy a diesel for half decent money, as everyone is obsessed with diesel.

The best kept secret in the motoring world IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Impressive figures for a Hyperhatch, i would be happy with 30mpg :(

Impressive figures for a Hyperhatch, i would be happy with 30mpg :(

Depends on how you drive. I bet I could bet the 30 mpg if driving normally but probably less if I drive it mad enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Depends on how you drive. I bet I could bet the 30 mpg if driving normally but probably less if I drive it mad enough.

Depends completely on the cars powerplant tbh

<Ollie> wrote: »
    I always get above the average mpg stated for my car. I thought these figures were independently assessed anyway?

As for the rest of your post I fully agree. Although I don't think all diesels are rattle boxes. I love my diesel engine.

But yes there's lots of problems with modern diesels - DMF, DPF, EGRs etc etc. And insane value in petrol cars (anything over 2L anyway), just name your price. Just see how popular LPG is in Holland and other European countries, for example.

Rewind back 6 months, and I'd be buying a petrol car and getting the conversion done, instead of the trying to buy a diesel for half decent money, as everyone is obsessed with diesel.

The best kept secret in the motoring world IMO.

Well I like driving diesel for it's torque but having said that a decent petrol should be just as good. My GF's 2000 crv 2.0L petrol pulls like a diesel, it's great, I love driving it on our crap country roads. Shame it's not the Vtec.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

Put LPG on the Prius and buy a weekend or track car, or a house in Dublin with the money saved on a
    Leaf

http://priuschat.com/threads/lpg.77555/

Depends completely on the cars powerplant tbh

Well I don't think anyone with 300 HP on tap (for the new S3) is going to drive it any way economically. But having that power that costs less than a 50 mpg diesel to run maybe 140 hp max ? is just fantastic IMO.

I'm talking lifetime mpg not resetting the counter for every trip.

My old 2003 A4 TDI Auto managed 48 mpg over the 100,000 miles I had it so maybe 4-5 mpg extra for the manual. The Multitronic is a great box.

LPG @ 30 mpg V 58 MPG Diesel = 55 a week for the diesel to travel 740 kms v 58 for the LPG @ 81 C litre. In summer they charge 75 C a litre =54 Euro's for LPG.

Now the New S3 if it can be believed can do 40 mpg for a 300 hp car meaning it would cost 39 Euro's a week in summer or 42 Euro's in winter for the new S3. 300 hp.

• Advertisement

Bigus wrote: »
    Put LPG on the Prius and buy a weekend or track car, or a house in Dublin with the money saved on a
    Leaf

http://priuschat.com/threads/lpg.77555/

No denying that electricity is the cheapest to drive on and the Leaf would pay back after 5 years. No new car can pay for itself with petrol or diesel costs, not even LPG.

I don't think I'll be converting the Prius, I don't know how long I'll be keeping it and I need to find out if the valves give trouble.

Advertisement