Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland and Irish people in Computer games

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭some random drunk

The Xbox game GunValkyrie had an Irish main character called Kelly O'Lenmey who was from Ballymun apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Yeah, bit in broken sword was awesome... hope they come back in the new one.

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

Pretty sure we had Irish Gangs in the Mafia games, at least in the second one anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Anyone mention The Saboteur yet that had a Irish lead & uncensored DLC tits iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Azza wrote: »
    The Best is Yet to Come song form Metal Gear Solid, is sung in Irish.
    Unbelievable song.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

GTR63 wrote: »
    Anyone mention The Saboteur yet that had a Irish lead & uncensored DLC tits iirc.

Just about to say that, what a great game the Saboteur was. I finished it 3 times. Loved it. Was hoping for a sequel and yes there was tits and lap dances :D

Other than that, there was Jack "Butcher" O'Hara (Green Beret) in Commandos for the PC. "I'm comin!"

• Registered Users Posts: 23,111 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

GTR63 wrote: »

Ha, I wonder if that's how they advertised it.

''CGI tits download pack €4.99''

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

J. Marston wrote: »
    Ha, I wonder if that's how they advertised it.

''CGI tits download pack €4.99''

If you bought it new you`d get dlc codes for them :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The old UT1-based game Clive Barkers: The Undying was set entirely in Ireland, with all the cast being Irish too. Half decent game from what I vaguely recall.

That section of Broken Sword set in Ireland, man that takes me back. Prehistoric days, before the arrival of the internet so if you were stuck in a game, you stayed stuck unless you chanced upon a solution; the goat 'puzzle' had me utterly flummoxed!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,336 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

What about the Zafords from Borderlands 2? (I suppose Lucky Zaford is also in the first game).

They're the ones that run the Irish Bar that you get a few missions from... There's also the terrible Irish accents to contend with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Yreval

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    Oswald from King of Fighters XI onward.

Just XI, actually - a pity, as he's definitely one of the better character designs in KOF.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Plenty of Irish accents in Dragon Age 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

What about Irish people in GAA sport as published by EA.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

pixelburp wrote: »
    The old UT1-based game Clive Barkers: The Undying was set entirely in Ireland, with all the cast being Irish too. Half decent game from what I vaguely recall.
    Undying was a great game for its day, but it was set elsewhere. Only the main character was Irish. He was originally meant to be a big bald muscley (vaguely Russian looking) guy, till Clive Barker insisted that the character be changed to "someone I could fall in love with", and so "Patrick Galloway" was made...

Loved the game, must dig out the disc see if it still works!

<edit>
    Copied from Wikipedia:
    Originally, the protagonist of the game was to be "Count Magnus Wolfram", a tattooed man with superhuman strength and supernatural abilities. Barker himself rejected this idea, noting that the more normal, down-to-earth Patrick Galloway would be easier to relate to for the average gamer. Wolfram's character model plays a small part in the finished product, however. He is the Trsanti shaman who attacks a younger Galloway with the Gel'ziabar Stone in the opening cutscene flashback.

It was set in Ireland according to wikipedia.

Azza wrote: »
    It was set in Ireland according to wikipedia.
    Perhaps, I assumed it was set in the UK, as Patrick had an Irish accent, but the Covenant family had British accents.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Perhaps, I assumed it was set in the UK, as Patrick had an Irish accent, but the Covenant family had British accents.

Nope, it was definitely set in Ireland, was half the reason it got my attention all those years ago; given games set in the Old Sod are such a rarity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Forest Demon

M Bison from Street fighter is Irish. Not only that but in Street fighter legend of Chun Li is real hardcore Irish :pac:. Orphaned soon of Irish missionary's as a baby in Bangkok and still grew up with an Irish accent.

Yeah good old Bison, he was voted Irelands greatest citizen recently or so I heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

Crusader Kings II - Ireland is one of the easier starting locations and features a load of medieval irish characters.

Also, the celt units in Civ 4 replied with Irish dialogue.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,330 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I'm amazed noone's mentioned Havok yet. How many games have used their physics engines over the years...

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

I'm amazed noone's mentioned Havok yet. How many games have used their physics engines over the years...

Yes, clearly an important contribution to the industry by irish people, but I don't think it was quite what the OP was after. Featuring Havok isn't the same as featuring Ireland as a playable location or Irish characters.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,330 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Fair point. Just thought it merited mentioning.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

gugleguy wrote: »
    What about Irish people in GAA sport as published by EA.

I think everyone was just trying to block those games from their memories...

*shudder*

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Hercule

there are a lot of "oirish" ppl in games - but not many Irish. I really don't understand how its more cost effective to have "oirish" voice actors then to pick actual Irish people.

The last level of Counter-Strike:Condition Zero is set in Belfast,
    there is a final boss thats in the IRA. He wields a samurai sword against you and has a nuclear bomb at the top of a skyscraper in Belfast that you need to defuse.
    . I really wish I was making that up.

Hercule wrote: »
    there are a lot of "oirish" ppl in games - but not many Irish. I really don't understand how its more cost effective to have "oirish" voice actors then to pick actual Irish people.

The last level of Counter-Strike:Condition Zero is set in Belfast,
    there is a final boss thats in the IRA. He wields a samurai sword against you and has a nuclear bomb at the top of a skyscraper in Belfast that you need to defuse.
    . I really wish I was making that up.

Reminds me of the old Rainbow Six game,
    where the last (or one of the last?) levels was where there were IRA members with bombs in Big Ben or something akin to that!

*spoilered to prevent spoiling the one above*

Hercule wrote: »

They probably need to make them ''Oirish'' just so other countries know where they're from. Although, it would be funny if a game had a character with a heavy Cork or Dublin accent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

The elderly police chap from LA Noire was ****in' class.

Best ones that come to mind would be:-

Biffoshock
    - A country that's bigtime underwater rapidly turns from utopia to dystopia featuring Brian Cowen as big big daddy

Day of the testicle
    - featuring Bertie Ahern link

====

• Advertisement

There's a Northern Irish actress in Dead Space: Extraction. The character she plays has the accent too.

Advertisement