Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lloyd Irvin students accused of rape and Lloyds shady past

Options
  • 10-01-2013 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭slammer187

This thread won't last for very long but two things need to be highlighted here....Nick Schultz and Matthew Maldanado are innocent until proven guilty so there's no point in making assumptions before the full story is released (appearance vs. reality)

There's obviously a reason Lloyd Irvin isn't in jail today for the incident back in the 90's....anybody could have been present there and even if he didn't try to talk the others out of it do you think you're going to be able to persuade a group of drunk/violent college students when you may even be drunk yourself?

I'm sitting on the fence here but these 2 guys have a huge amount of potential to become world champions and it's not fair to completely tarnish their reputations before all evidence is released

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

I think it's a pretty cut and dry case. Apparently there's video of them both raping her repeatedly in a parking garage. The cops were pretty dubious about her story until they found the video. Police raided the 'Jungle' house and arrested them then. They were after telling her they'd bring her home after she was too drunk at a party. One of the sickest parts of it is, she's one of their teammates.

In the eyes of the courts, they may be innocent until proven guilty, but in the eyes of any reasonable person they're pretty much f**ked.

I've been reading online today that the rape prevention video came online yesterday and that within the day it was one of the top 2 searches on Google when you typed his name in there. Which is one of those marketing techniques he's so famous for of late.

Now the gist of the Lloyd's own story is, in 1990, a 20-year-old Lloyd Irvin took part in a gang bang of a drunk 17-year-old. Irvin was accused of having intercourse with her while an accomplice held her down. Irvin was acquitted because he said he wanted to have sex with her, but couldn't get it up. That meant the other guy couldn't be convicted of helping Lloyd rape her. But the other guy was still convicted of forcing the victim to perform oral sex.

What I want to know, is how a man with a past like that feels it's his place to make a rape prevention video...to much irony going on there.

A pretty divisive figure just got more so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Chris89

Im not sure whats going to happen to the two lads in question, but I hope this wont affect any of the other athletes in any way. there is certainly enough gob****es online looking to paint everyone with the one brush.

The news report quotes the cops saying they have footage of the whole thing, it doesnt look good for the two boys if thats the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭p to the e

Gi or no-gi?

• Advertisement

someone was raped you knacker.

p to the e wrote: »
    Gi or no-gi?

Really?

darced wrote: »

I think those lads might already know a thing or two about 'difficult'. I dont see the mistakes of a few individuals getting in the way of these guys goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

Guys can you just stick to what's been reported, and avoid speculating about what will happen to team-mates, etc, that aren't directly related to the incident.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Guys can you just stick to what's been reported, and avoid speculating about what will happen to team-mates, etc, that aren't directly related to the incident.

And no f*cking smart comments about rape either.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭EnjoyChoke

p to the e wrote: »
    Gi or no-gi?

Cop yourself on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭p to the e

Yeesh tough crowd!
    153-collar_pull.jpg

Here's the report in case anyone is interested.
    http://bcove.me/o1uivhk7

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

If it anyone has been charged or it does go to court he would be best not to.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭conor678

I see online and in some other mma forums and websites Lloyd Irwin gets a lot of stick. Is there any reason for this or do people not like his club methods or teaching? Is it got to do with his medals success in comps? Just curious

conor678 wrote: »
    I see online and in some other mma forums and websites Lloyd Irwin gets a lot of stick. Is there any reason for this or do people not like his club methods or teaching? Is it got to do with his medals success in comps? Just curious
    From what I see its mainly to do with his marketing.
    For example releasing a rape prevention video while people are discussing this case means the a google search of something like "loyd irvin rape" this could pop up instead.
    Kinda a cheap trick to distract from the story

From what I see its mainly to do with his marketing.
    For example releasing a rape prevention video while people are discussing this case means the a google search of something like "loyd irvin rape" this could pop up instead.
    Kinda a cheap trick to distract from the story
    Yeah i did think releasing the video after the incident was crass and in bad taste and stinks of a pr exercise. I just wondered if some of the hate Lloyd Irwin was getting as due to his club and how he sells himself in bjj circles. Saying that he must be a good teacher if he can churn out so many good black belts

conor678 wrote: »
    Yeah i did think releasing the video after the incident was crass and in bad taste and stinks of a pr exercise. I just wondered if some of the hate Lloyd Irwin was getting as due to his club and how he sells himself in bjj circles. Saying that he must be a good teacher if he can churn out so many good black belts

I dont really dislike the guy or have a problem with most of his marketing. But he just doensnt come across that likeable to me in interviews etc. Guys like ken primola (One of loyds bbs), MG, Robert Drysdale all market themselves well too. But they also come across very likeable and like genuinely nice guys. Lloyyd just doesnt come across the same way tbh

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/1/11/3864948/mma-bjj-ufc-lloyd-irvin-purchases-lloydirvinrape-marketing

Some more food for thought on this. Seems very strange and badly thought out move

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭slammer187

There's probably no team in America that could push Keenan as hard as TLI do, there's no team that produces world champions and the rate that TLI do and since Keenan moved there he has come on leaps and bounds which he may not be able to do in any other club....I don't think it would be a good move to switch teams and the only place that he could really go would probably be ATOS anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Kieran81

^^ some things more important than a medal , but to be honest i cant see any of them leavin TLI , most of them i've seen interviewed come across as almost brainwashed (for lack of a better word) and create an almost cult-like aura when talkin bout TLI and i'm sure whatever he says to them they'll back him up all the way

thats pretty interesting. where did yuo see this?

Genuine question who is kenan? Is he the Irish guy training in Lloyd Irwin s team and what level is he at and how is he doing in international comps

Bloody Elbow will have an article about this soon, but the statement is legit - it's from his father's FB page.

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f12/keenans-father-speaks-2354373/

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Andrew H

I dont really dislike the guy or have a problem with most of his marketing. But he just doensnt come across that likeable to me in interviews etc. Guys like ken primola (One of loyds bbs), MG, Robert Drysdale all market themselves well too. But they also come across very likeable and like genuinely nice guys. Lloyyd just doesnt come across the same way tbh

Ken Primola is a Balance Black Belt under Phil Migilarise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Andrew H

This looks really bad for Martial Arts and the sport of Jiu JItsu in general.

From all the media reports and reports of CCTV footage of the incident the 2 suspects will be spending time in Jail and the victim will need a lot of help and counselling to recover.

Lloyd Irvings sales tactics and marketing are beyond contemptible in this case.

Advertisement