Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shocking Atheist Quotes

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

"No man ever believes that the bible means what it says;he is always convinced that it says what he means."

-George Bernard Shaw

"Properly read, the Bible is the most potent force for atheism ever concieved."

-Mikhail Bakunin

"No man ever believes that the Bible means what it says;he is always convinced that it says what he means."

-George Bernard Shaw.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 dead786

Dades wrote: »
    The latest dead one re-reg is now permabanned.
    Shocking indeed. The guarding of freedom are now permabanning people. Pure fvcking madness. I am heavily drunk

want to hear my shocking quote
    Supporters of Opium can survive at a Social Forum, only under a Canopy and Shelter of Dades/Robin/Penny/Wibbs/Tom dune (gordon is a good person) type Moderators/Administartor.Once such Canopy is lifted and removed----your philosophy, propaganda, program--- collapses like a bubble.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

lol

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

dead786 wrote: »
    S
    want to hear my shocking quote
    Supporters of Opium can survive at a Social Forum, only under a Canopy and Shelter of Dades/Robin/Penny/Wibbs/Tom dune (gordon is a good person) type Moderators/Administartor.Once such Canopy is lifted and removed----your philosophy, propaganda, program--- collapses like a bubble.

Coherent as usual I see. :)

I'm dreadfully upset to be left out of such an esteemed list of Mods/Admins.
    I shall now site ban you out of sheer bitterness and spite.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Maybe I've been dabbling in coding too much over the last few days but what if the canopy is only lifted or removed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,965 ✭✭✭✭bnt

The inhabitants of the earth are of two sorts:
    Those with brains, but no religion,
    And those with religion, but no brains.

Do not suppose the statements of the prophets to be true; they are all fabrications. Men lived comfortably till they came and spoiled life. The sacred books are only such a set of idle tales as any age could have and indeed did actually produce.

-- Abu'l-`Ala' al-Ma`arri (973–1058) (Arabic: أبو العلاء المعري), poet of Ma`arra, quoted in Crusades Through Arab Eyes (1989) by Amin Maalouf

(via Wikiquote)

These are shocking for the time and place in which they were said - the Muslim world, over a thousand years ago - and the fact that he survived to about 85 years old, despite the way he spoke out against all religions.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

bnt wrote: »
    These are shocking for the time and place in which they were said - the Muslim world, over a thousand years ago - and the fact that he survived to about 85 years old, despite the way he spoke out against all religions.
    In its younger years, islam, and many of the parts of the world it controlled, put great store by dialectic debate and did much to encourage science, learning, philosophy, poetry, the arts, mathematics and much else, all as means to extend the human understanding, and thence the glory, of the works of Allah. The curtains, however, began to descend with infinite slowness as the Crusades began, and, I suppose, could be considered fully shut by around the late 1400's and the final expulsion of islamics from Spain.

However, at their height, the islamic civilizations of the Middle East out-gunned the christian civilizations of Europe in just about every area of endeavour, and easily so.

As good an example as any is the life of the astronomer, mathematician and poet Omar Khayyam, and his exquisite Rubaiyyat as rendered by Edward Fitzgerald, from which the following few verses are taken (the last verse included just coz it's great):
    Old Omar wrote:

Why, all the Saints and Sages who discuss'd
    Of the Two Worlds so learnedly, are thrust
    Like foolish Prophets forth; their Words to Scorn
    Are scatter'd, and their Mouths are stopt with Dust.

Myself when young did eagerly frequent
    Doctor and Saint, and heard great Argument
    About it and about: but evermore
    Came out by the same Door as in I went.

With them the Seed of Wisdom did I sow,
    And with my own hand labour'd it to grow:
    And this was all the Harvest that I reap'd--
    "I came like Water, and like Wind I go."

But leave the Wise to wrangle, and with me
    The Quarrel of the Universe let be:
    And, in some corner of the Hubbub coucht,
    Make Game of that which makes as much of Thee.

The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit
    Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

Advertisement