Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old nightclubs and pubs in Limerick

Options
  • 09-01-2013 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi everyone,

I hope someone on here can help me. I'm trying to get old photos, flyers etc of 2 old nightclub/pub in Limerick. My hubby used to go to Cheers nightclub and The Parkway Pub, if I have the dates right he started going to The Parkway late 80's - early 90's and then Cheers later in life :)

Does anyone know where I could get photos or some sort of memorabilia for these clubs?

Oh and we are in Australia so visiting a library etc isn't an option for me :)

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 neverwasser

Go the the limerick post website and they have a few archived papers from the late 80's and early 90's, you might be able to get a printout of one of the clubs from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Bullets post brings some great memories flooding back, I remember most of the nite clubs in his/her post from my college days :pac::pac::pac:

MrsD007 wrote: »
    Bullets post brings some great memories flooding back, I remember most of the nite clubs in his/her post from my college days :pac::pac::pac:

Do you remember where Saints Niteclub is? It says off Cruises Street?

Only one I've never heard of!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Do you remember where Saints Niteclub is? It says off Cruises Street?

Only one I've never heard of!

Saints & Scholars became the Market which became Angel Lane.
    Saints was the first club I ever went to and I had my first ever pint in the bars upstairs.

• Advertisement

Saints was the first club I ever went to and I had my first ever pint in the bars upstairs.

I was probably sitting next to you drinking a miwadi

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Beaver1

those passes are excellent, I used to copy them for myself and my mates, we never paid in anywhere were there was a pass to be copied, the 80's were great days

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Beaver1 wrote: »
    those passes are excellent, I used to copy them for myself and my mates, we never paid in anywhere were there was a pass to be copied, the 80's were great days

And I thought I was the only one around here old enough to remember the 80's :o

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

tippman1 wrote: »
    And I thought I was the only one around here old enough to remember the 80's :o

I remember the 80, well some of it, I was born in 78 and I'm ancient by boards standards :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Another one here who has been to all those in the past. :D

The pub in the Parkway was Robbies and the nightclub upstairs was The New Yorker. Those places were wedged at weekends at their peak. I started going to them in 1990 around the time of the leaving cert and Italia 90. Good times!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Clareman wrote: »
    I remember the 80, well some of it, I was born in 78 and I'm ancient by boards standards :o

In that case I think I'll just slip away quietly out of here into the mist without saying any more.......

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭pleuraXeraphim

TamK84 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I hope someone on here can help me. I'm trying to get old photos, flyers etc of 2 old nightclub/pub in Limerick. My hubby used to go to Cheers nightclub and The Parkway Pub, if I have the dates right he started going to The Parkway late 80's - early 90's and then Cheers later in life :)

Does anyone know where I could get photos or some sort of memorabilia for these clubs?

Oh and we are in Australia so visiting a library etc isn't an option for me :)

Thank you

I have one Flyer but it was for the Park Nightclub if that is of any help.
    Let me know by PM if you want it and I can post it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭moby2101

Old enough to have been to most of these establishments also !:) I went to college in Limerick in 89(..do the maths..old!!!)
    Is it just me or was there not a much more vibrant nightclub and music scene back then. I remember seeing Something Happens and The 4 of Us loads of times in the two mile inn...Long walk back into town, The Wedding Present in the Parkway! That was an amazing gig.
    Anyone remember the Pub where Baileys is now ( ..,NO 15, Boxwells) ...they had a "Music Club" that you had to join, it was a way around licensing hours in the early 90's...U could imbibe away in there on a Thursday/Friday night till the weeeeeee hours!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,171 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Think it was called Mac's back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Was never at the one in the Parkway.

There was still a set of slow songs towards the end of the night when
    I went clubbing regularly where a fella could ask a girl to dance and get an awl shift at the end of the night if ya had not pulled before then.

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

moby2101 wrote: »
    Anyone remember the Pub where Baileys is now ( ..,NO 15, Boxwells) ...they had a "Music Club" that you had to join, it was a way around licensing hours in the early 90's...U could imbibe away in there on a Thursday/Friday night till the weeeeeee hours!

It started off as No.15 when power's small profit stores decided to make bigger profits by going into the Pub game.
    then became boxwell's when the guy who has Mac's off-licence (on the Ennis rd) bought it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭moby2101

You're right Macs or Boxwells, anyone rememer the name of the "music club" ? I was a proud card carrying member for a few years, it entitled you to head in there after all the pubs had shut for a few more bevvies!

Sorry, I remember the "music club" ruse all right, but I can't remember if they had a seperate name for it, or if it was just Boxwell's Music club.

Also, speaking of how old some of you people are, does anyone remember when the pubs brought in the 1/2 litre Glasses (instead of Pints).
    This was when a budget increase brought the price of a pint to just over £1, so they sold 1/2 litres at £1 for a few months....until the next drinks industry price increase.

BTW I'm old enough to remember when Ted's (The Brazen Head) was actually owned by a guy named Ted, he now has Matt the Thresher's in Birdhill.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Wasn't the whole half litre thing as a result of a disagreement with the Weights and Measures who were trying to stardardize stuff?

Ah clareman, you were but a mere lad at the time.:)
    It was definitely a "marketing" thing to keep the price of a pint (OK, a 1/2lt)under a £1.
    That's why it only lasted until the next price increase.

Does anyone remember The Pink Elephant (in the Savoy), where a certain shaved-head bouncer (whose name rhymes with Larry murphy....but begins with a G) allegedly used to throw troublemakers out through the window rather than march them all the way over to the door.

• Advertisement

I've worked in a few bars and 1 of the bars had half litre glasses that were used for rock shandies and minerals, I asked where they were gotten and I was told it was cause of weights and meassures years ago. Anyone ever been subjected to a weights and measures audit will know they can be a pain in the @rse.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭celticcrash

Buddys pub in foxbow lane.

If you remember it you weren't there.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Roosta

I rem Pink Elephant + bouncer , never thrown out a window though ! 1/2 lt pints , same era as the infamous 'Guiness-Lite' and 'Hoffmans' I think ! and that was 'Buddy's Bar ' , guess I was'nt there !

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Roosta

..in 'Buddy's Lane ' .

Any one remember the pub on Denmark street before it was redeveloped, I think it was on the corner where O' Connells is now. The place was mental.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Any one remember the pub on Denmark street before it was redeveloped, I think it was on the corner where O' Connells is now. The place was mental.

The original McDaids?

Joe Malone's?

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Cherrycoke

St. Michaels primary school used to be where O'Connells is now

Definitely Joe Malone's, more or less where that asian restaurant is now.......not too many characters like that running pubs nowadays (pity really).

As for Buddy's, if you were new you had to serve your apprenticeship by sitting on a Beer Barrel at the back, in a small hallway, from where you could observe (through the darkness) the real regulars.

Jack bourke's, with the laziest, drunkest Barman in Ireland...quote: "Guinness...tchh, f*&kin' hassle".

Any regulars from "The James Joyce", Ellen St. on here. I used to work (and practically live) there in the 80's.
    Big L across the road....the only pirate radio station with a front desk where you could leave in requests etc.:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

I remember before Saints and Scholars it was Arthurs Warehouse. Used to go their on thursdays in college for the Rave.

Advertisement