Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atheist vs Catholic beliefs when children are involved

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Dfmnoc

just baptize the child save u the bother of argument, drop of water over the head don't mean hes stuck with the church forever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

Dfmnoc wrote: »
    just baptize the child save u the bother of argument, drop of water over the head don't mean hes stuck with the church forever

Funnily enough it does in the church's eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Dfmnoc

DB21 wrote: »
    Funnily enough it does in the church's eyes.

ya but at the end of the day if u turn ur back on it there's not much they can really do bout it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Banbh

drop of water over the head

Then there's also the matter of renouncing the devil and saying 'amen' when the priest washes the sin (which would otherwise consign the child to eternity in a fire) from his imaginary soul (where the crime he never committed has been recorded). Also the public declaration before official witnesses and relatives that you will raise the child in the beliefs and practices of the Catholic Church in obedience to its regulations.

And if you can handle that deception, then there's the attendance at Masses and Confessions, Communion, Confirmation, Marriage and the Baptism of the grand-children.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Banbh wrote: »
    And if you can handle that deception, then there's the attendance at Masses and Confessions, Communion, Confirmation, Marriage and the Baptism of the grand-children.
    That assumes that you will actually raise the child Catholic rather than just baptising them to get them into a school/please the oldies/etc.

The vast majority of baptisms taking place in Ireland are for cultural reasons or for access to education. Very few of the children being baptised in Ireland are being "raised catholic".

It's regrettable that it occurs, but until schools are removed from the control of the catholic church, it's a practice that will continue.

In the UK, you have to lie about your address to get your kids into the school you want. In Ireland you have to lie about your religion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

eviltwin wrote: »
    I couldn't be involved with a devout Catholic. Its not so much the will we / won't we baptize issue and more the narrow minded views re women, homosexuality etc.

I couldnt be involved with a devout "any religion" where an adult human being believed in a makey uppy supernatural entity and took instruction on how to live their lives from a work of fiction written by humans and attributed to said makey uppy supernatural entity. I would need to be able to respect my partner.

Although a atheist ex work mate once told me that he felt it was easier for family peace to allow his wife to baptise the children, get them into the better and nearer schools (they are all adults now, they were in school a couple of decades ago in a rural part of the country), and simply tell them at home that it was all a load of twaddle. I dont know how well it worked tbh, his eldest daughter just had a church wedding recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

Dfmnoc wrote: »
    ya but at the end of the day if u turn ur back on it there's not much they can really do bout it

Except continue to use you as a statistic in their bigoted campaigns against abortion and marriage quality :)

Advertisement