Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to beat the January Blues??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

miamee wrote: »
    Thanks to the 6 million days in January, we haven't had much to spend on entertaining ourselves through January :pac: but I have made sure we have something on every weekend as much as possible whether that's visiting friends or family, meeting up with people for coffees or going out for walks. So far so good but how the heck is it still only the 16th? :D

Same - all my weekends are booked up until the end of Feb (incl weekends for just relaxing by the way :p )

Personally love having a full schedule like that ahead to look forward to. I always have to plan my weekend in advance, I'm way too routine-oriented :o

This week is definitely dragging alright - despite the fact I'm flat out at work. But hey tomorrow is friday and before you know it will be into the 20s of January and only a week or so left!
    Sundew wrote: »
    I actually don’t mind the month of January. I usually find it an exciting month to start planning the year ahead. I always try and attend the Holiday Show in the RDS. It’s great for giving a lift after packing away the Christmas decor. I also love awaiting the arrival of the first Spring bulbs and already have snowdrops and daffodils in bloom!��

Yeah am hoping to finalise holiday plans this weekend myself!

I do like January in the sense that I use it to implement more good habits and in general I find it a very productive and fulfilling period in the sense that I eat well, exercise well, in bed early and up early - well as much as I can anyway! Psycholgically its wayyyy harder to commit to these things when the summer comes along and in December ( in my experience anyway!) so in my view it can be nice to have a good chance to do it, with generally little distraction

• Registered Users Posts: 10,165 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Thanks to the 6 million days in January, we haven't had much to spend on entertaining ourselves through January :pac: but I have made sure we have something on every weekend as much as possible whether that's visiting friends or family, meeting up with people for coffees or going out for walks. So far so good but how the heck is it still only the 16th? :D

Funny how people have different perceptions of how fast (or slow) time goes by. Since coming back to work last Monday the month seems to be flying by. I suppose the fact my work diary is filling up already into February makes it appear to be going at a rate o knots anyway.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

I'm the opposite, I like have nothing planned/to do weekends so can just go with the flow and do as little or much as we want. Last weekend was great, left the house twice all weekend. This weekend looking pretty quiet two :)
    Sundew wrote: »
    I actually don’t mind the month of January. I usually find it an exciting month to start planning the year ahead. I always try and attend the Holiday Show in the RDS. It’s great for giving a lift after packing away the Christmas decor. I also love awaiting the arrival of the first Spring bulbs and already have snowdrops and daffodils in bloom!��

Have noticed my daffodils are sprouting already. Assumed it was down to the mild weather the last couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Just booked my summer holiday :D Didn't get a holiday last year so looking forward to this one! Going here:

https://slasuites.com/en/

kitten_k wrote: »
    Just booked my summer holiday :D Didn't get a holiday last year so looking forward to this one! Going here:

Nice. Always good to have something to look forward to :)

• Advertisement

We're holidaying (great word that:D) in Puerta Del Carmen this summer as well.
    Its a fantastic spot.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Best of luck, leahyl!

Fingers crossed you get it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Hope today went well Leahy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Ikozma

I hate January too, the fact I have a birthday in early Jan doesn't help, depressed as hell and a year older to boot

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Hi guys, thanks for the well wishes, I think it went ok! Well, it wasn’t a disaster anyway so that’s the main thing. Have to wait about 2 weeks now though before I hear, but I’m just relieved to have it done!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

leahyl wrote: »
    Hi guys, thanks for the well wishes, I think it went ok! Well, it wasn’t a disaster anyway so that’s the main thing. Have to wait about 2 weeks now though before I hear, but I’m just relieved to have it done!

Well done Leahyl fingers crossed for you that you’ll get it!!

Although the promotion better now leave you too busy to post here :pac: :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Any room for a small one? Mr. CL says no summer holiday again this year :( We didn't have one last year either.

CheerLouth wrote: »
    Any room for a small one? Mr. CL says no summer holiday again this year :( We didn't have one last year either.

I haven’t had one in 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭tamara25

I absolutely hate January, very depressing month. There will be a sense of relief when February arrives. I think I will put my the Xmas tree up in November this year. Love having it up early :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Sure I’ll stick you in my suitcase :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I don't think I could emotionally get through the year without a holiday!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭One More Toy

I never thought I'd say this but January blues is real. All the excitement of the Xmas season over and cold dark days :(

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I never thought I'd say this but January blues is real. All the excitement of the Xmas season over and cold dark days :(

Thankfully January is Almost over.

Into the 20s on Monday.. only one full week left! :)

Dublin was absolutely dead most places yesterday evening people must really be taking this dry January seriously :pac:

On the flip side of that I've never seen the gym as busy as these days. It really is the industry to be in nowadays!

It’s nearly over ! Shops were deserted today. Where is everyone ?

• Advertisement

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    It’s nearly over ! Shops were deserted today. Where is everyone ?

The gym / walking / running etc. :pac:

I don't think I've ever seen anything like it in terms of people out exercising

Loughc wrote: »
    Thankfully January is Almost over.

I always break months up into thirds; 1-9 start, 10-19 middle and 20-30/31- end.

So we are officially into the end of January, short month next, then Paddys, Easter in the blink of an eye, summer will fly by and then it will be September, kids be back to school and Christmas build up will begin :D

Posy wrote: »
    I don't think I could emotionally get through the year without a holiday!!

I find it really hard to do it. Mr. CL can do it no bother but I always have to have something to look forward to, even if it's just a day off. We are going to CentreParcs at the end of Feb & if it's as good as it's meant to be, we might book it for September.

Into the 20s now in January... Almost a month since Christmas!

..... We are going to CentreParcs at the end of Feb & if it's as good as it's meant to be, we might book it for September.

Was looking at CentreParcs yesterday and was very pricey IMO. Would love to go as sounds/looks great however not sure we can afford it so soon after Christmas.

Are you doing the Mon-Fri or Fri-Mon? Best value seemed to be a 3 bed in the week before Paddys.

jr86 wrote: »
    Into the 20s now in January... Almost a month since Christmas!

First Rudolph day of the year coming up on Saturday!! Time to break out the christmas socks again :)

TRS30 wrote: »
    Was looking at CentreParcs yesterday and was very pricey IMO. Would love to go as sounds/looks great however not sure we can afford it so soon after Christmas.

Are you doing the Mon-Fri or Fri-Mon? Best value seemed to be a 3 bed in the week before Paddys.

I booked it before Christmas & I did look recently and think the price had gone up. It is dear enough but that said, you do get the aquapark included in the price of it. We are doing Fri-Mon (I didn't want the eldest to miss too much school even though it's only Junior Infants). I think if you have Tesco Clubcard vouchers, you can boost 40euro worth of them and you end up with 160euro off, but you have to enter them when you are making the booking.

I booked it before Christmas & I did look recently and think the price had gone up. It is dear enough but that said, you do get the aquapark included in the price of it. We are doing Fri-Mon (I didn't want the eldest to miss too much school even though it's only Junior Infants). I think if you have Tesco Clubcard vouchers, you can boost 40euro worth of them and you end up with 160euro off, but you have to enter them when you are making the booking.

Yea my wife mentioned about using Tesco points alright. The aquapark does look amazing, nice warm water in middle of winter! Might look again for around Easter time as wife is back in work late April and we wanted to get away for a few days before then. Similarly don't want ELF1 to miss too much school so would probably go for the Fri-Mon as well. Be interesting to hear what you think or if anyone else has been already.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

You're in Dublin. Get stuck-in with a charity.
    You'll feel much better helping others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,522 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Happy Blue Monday everyone

Advertisement