Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*~ Cruising (travel by Waterways) megathread ~*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Rambler3 wrote: »
    Hi all..I'm going on a cruise with my wife for our 30th wedding anniversary soon..we are looking at the mac carribean seaview ship for our trip..my question is should we buy a drinks package or just pay in the bars and restaurants..we are just moderate drinkers the (1or2) gang..😆..we are confused with all the packages on offer and would like advise...thanks a million..mike...👍

I booked a cruise on the MSC Seaview the other day myself for July. Take a look at SeaScanner. I ended up booking a Aurea balcony (which includes drinks package) at a cheaper price than I could get direct via MSC or via a travel agency.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Cool water

Hi can anyone recommend travel insurance covers for cruise holidays, I need the cover for unfit to travel due to pregnancy? Any company covers for non Irish residents? Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭finbarrk

So you booked a cruise. Now you are pregnant and you don't want to go. Is that it? I doubt you could take out a policy now that would cover that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

I can't help with finding insurance but if you find some make sure you read the terms and condition carefully, as if you are already pregnant they may exclude payouts as a result of you being pregnant.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

finbarrk wrote: »
    So you booked a cruise. Now you are pregnant and you don't want to go. Is that it? I doubt you could take out a policy now that would cover that.

Thanks for your reply. I haven’t book the cruise yet and I’m not pregnant. Just in case this happened, do I thought maybe take out a insurance to cover it, because the cruise is so expensive! Thank you.

• Advertisement

I can't help with finding insurance but if you find some make sure you read the terms and condition carefully, as if you are already pregnant they may exclude payouts as a result of you being pregnant.

Thanks for your reply. I haven’t book the cruise yet and I’m not pregnant. Just in case this happened, do I thought maybe take out a insurance to cover it, because the cruise is so expensive! Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Zenify

Cool water wrote: »

I think you should take a different approach to avoiding any problems on your holiday.

Try using contraception before you go on your holiday, some forms are very effective. If you are struggling for the last while and don't want to give up trying just for the holiday, cut your losses and be happy with your new gift.

Travel insurance is supposed to be for unexpected surprises. Trying to get pregnant is not unexpected. I had an unexpected event during my holiday and I really struggled to get money from my insurer. I would say it would be impossible for you with something like that.

Zenify wrote: »
    I think you should take a different approach to avoiding any problems on your holiday.

Try using contraception before you go on your holiday, some forms are very effective. If you are struggling for the last while and don't want to give up trying just for the holiday, cut your losses and be happy with your new gift.

Travel insurance is supposed to be for unexpected surprises. Trying to get pregnant is not unexpected. I had an unexpected event during my holiday and I really struggled to get money from my insurer. I would say it would be impossible for you with something like that.
    Thanks, but everybody’s circumstances is different......

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

This beats all. You have been given several pieces of good advice ,But you don't like any of then because they don't suit you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Also, whats the issue ?
    Being pregnant does not mean you cannot travel so travel insurance will likely only allow you to cancel a trip should you suffer sever morning sickness or something else really serious.
    "being pregnant" is not in itself a serious illness that requires you to stop everything in life , and if you get pregnant now then come summer you'll not be near due.

as for companies, the big ones like AIG or Allianz would be good to check for travel insurance where you now live. You might even already have cover with a credit card or other travel product.
    Or, is there cancellation insurance that can be added when booking the cruise trip itsself ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Cool water wrote: »
    Hi can anyone recommend travel insurance covers for cruise holidays, I need the cover for unfit to travel due to pregnancy? Any company covers for non Irish residents? Thank you!

This is going to be your problem. I couldn't get insurance for my daughter for a family holiday as she isn't a resident. Had to take out her own from the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

Also, whats the issue ?
    Being pregnant does not mean you cannot travel so travel insurance will likely only allow you to cancel a trip should you suffer sever morning sickness or something else really serious.
    "being pregnant" is not in itself a serious illness that requires you to stop everything in life , and if you get pregnant now then come summer you'll not be near due.

as for companies, the big ones like AIG or Allianz would be good to check for travel insurance where you now live. You might even already have cover with a credit card or other travel product.
    Or, is there cancellation insurance that can be added when booking the cruise trip itsself ?

Some, maybe all, cruise lines won't allow you to travel if you are a certain length into pregnancy incase you pop while on the ship as they may not have the facilities to care for the mother and new born.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

Hey Guys

Looking for the cheapest cruise for july Aug, destination not overly important, although I will need sun.

Any ideas on best place to book? deals etc?

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Lima Golf

dar100 wrote: »
    Hey Guys

Looking for the cheapest cruise for july Aug, destination not overly important, although I will need sun.

cheers

I have found great deals on seascanner.com. if you're flexible with dates or locations you can get fantastic prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭deisemum

I've booked a cruise this week heading from Genoa next month. I've to book flights to either Milan or Nice. It's a 4 night cruise calling to Civitavecchia, Palermo, Cagliari and Palma. We plan on spending a day and night in either Milan or Nice before the cruise and probably 3 days in Palma at the end.

Has anyone got hotel recommendations for either Milan, Nice and Palma?

We've been to Genoa, Civitavecchia and Palermo before but would love recommendations for excursions in Cagliari and Palma too please.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Flipperdipper

dar100 wrote: »
    Hey Guys

cheers

I booked with Vision Cruise and found them very helpful. They are on the travel channel every evening and have some great deals, especially if you are flexible as regards time and destinations. Check out their "Golden Envelope" deals. Some ships could be overrun with kids and teenagers in Jul/Aug.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Graham1978

We went on our 1st cruise last year with the 2 kids, we sailed on the Norwegian Epic . Booked to sail on the RCL Harmony Of The Seas in May (Caribbean) . Has anyone sailed the Harmony ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 crokes88

Hi folks, I'm looking to book a last minute cruise deal in the Mediterranean preferably! Any suggestions welcome from previous experiences or advice on where the best place to book would be great! Thanks for the help!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,993 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Try here but you will need to get your own flights to the UK...
    https://www.holidaypirates.com/?filter[category]=9

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭JeffCash

Hi All,

I'm looking to book my honeymoon through seascanner. Quote for the celebrity constellation in the mediterranean is €1,500 cheaper than booking directly with Celebrity. Is there anything I should be worried about booking with Seascanner. Feedback from the thread seems positive.

Thanks,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Lima Golf

JeffCash wrote: »
    Hi All,

I'm looking to book my honeymoon through seascanner. Quote for the celebrity constellation in the mediterranean is €1,500 cheaper than booking directly with Celebrity. Is there anything I should be worried about booking with Seascanner. Feedback from the thread seems positive.

Thanks,

No problems with seascanner. Got a great deal myself off them and sailing next month. They're a German based cruise travel agent but all emails etc are in English. You get a booking reference right away so you can log into your booking on the cruise lines website and see it exists! I've also used american discount cruises a couple of times so check there also. Sometimes they are slightly more expensive but offer perks like on board credit, drinks packages etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

JeffCash wrote: »
    Hi All,

Thanks,

My next cruise is booked with them, and I've used them before, no problems. Sometimes they're cheaper, sometimes they're more expensive - all the agents run different offers at different times. Make sure you're comparing like with like (same cabin class, etc), but if all that is the same, go for it (and congrats!)

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭JeffCash

Thoie wrote: »
    My next cruise is booked with them, and I've used them before, no problems. Sometimes they're cheaper, sometimes they're more expensive - all the agents run different offers at different times. Make sure you're comparing like with like (same cabin class, etc), but if all that is the same, go for it (and congrats!)

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,869 ✭✭✭893bet

Have one booked for next month! Northern European cities!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

does anyone know if HDMI ports are available/usable on the TV screens onboard the MSC Preziosa cabins?

my son would like to take his small game console (SNES) onboard and play it (if we have time)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Mc-BigE wrote: »
    does anyone know if HDMI ports are available/usable on the TV screens onboard the MSC Preziosa cabins?

my son would like to take his small game console (SNES) onboard and play it (if we have time)

I haven't specifically been on the Preziosa, but most ships have any "extra" ports locked down to stop people messing with them, and the remotes are usually generic remotes that just change channels and volume (no port switching). I'd leave it at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Thoie wrote: »
    I haven't specifically been on the Preziosa, but most ships have any "extra" ports locked down to stop people messing with them, and the remotes are usually generic remotes that just change channels and volume (no port switching). I'd leave it at home.
    If it's locked down you can just google the TV and model number and "hotel unlock" and you usually get the code to unlock the TV so you can use the ports.
    The SNES Mini is tiny anyhow, so it's not like it'll take up a whole lot of space....

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Densey12

Hi all,

I’m going on my first cruise ever next Friday with MSC ?

Would any of you seasoned cruisers have any advice ?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,394 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The cabins in MSC boats usually have both European (two round pins) 220V and US (two flat pins) 110V sockets as a lot of them do the Caribbean during the winter. Food is excellent, big choice each evening. Jacket with or without tie is ok for the gala evenings (usually two in a seven day cruise).

Do some research on the destinations before you go and try to go independent at a lot of the ports as the excursions are seriously expensive for what is in most cases simply a coach trip with a local guide. Also don't fall for the expensive transport to the nearest town, this is without an excursion, just to be dropped at the local town centre. In many cases you can walk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

Any cruise co, will be be keen to sell you over priced excursions at each port

alternatives here
    https://www.tomsportguides.com/

or google the port name and excursions, at each port there will be local excursions cos offering excursions

Avoid wifi, v expensive and slow

onboard drinks are not too expensive, esp if you buy a drinks package

On board theater / shows etc excellent

What ports are you visiting ?

Advertisement