Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reddit

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

GrumPy wrote: »
    What's hard to understand about The Wire?

It's a TV show about cops and criminals based in Baltimore.

I followed that much alright, I just could make out what language they were speaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Reddits good the layout is annoying, it is the front page of the internet though, after that stuff filters to places like thechive.com and then *shudder* 9gag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

I use reddit quite a bit. It's a great place to go if you're interested in something specific 'cause there's invariably a subreddit for it :pac: It does have some absolutely horrible subreddits though. And can tend to be quite misogynistic/racist (hilariously more so than 4chan I find). It has the best and worst of the internet IMO. AskReddit is amazing! So many interesting stories!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

One thing I dislike about reddit is that when you go into a thread you have read before there is no way to see which comments you haven't read before.

I'm on the fence about that. On the one hand the innane or downright annoying comments get downvoted to oblivion, so you don't have to deal with them. Though on the other hand it contributes to the hive mentality and you most often only see the most popular opinions. Unless you're browsing r/new or one of the smaller subreddits (which are a lot more easy going and not subjected to as much karma whoring, so they're better anyway).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

You can always read the top comments and change the sorting then, I just leave it on best though generally.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

I followed that much alright, I just could make out what language they were speaking.

Same with The Sopranos. Yo, Carmine, hit me up the jacksie with a little something something yo, aint too bad neither, carburettor in eleven degree weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Endless Nameless

I went on /r/SRS the other day

Man, that place is insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭mahonykid

lads 9gag is the way to go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Suceed

r/4chan/ is very good.

It filters out the best stuff on 4chan, so it saves having to navigate there.

Some brilliant oc in the greentext stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I just read the front page. Funny pictures, interesting science news and great TILs. Not really interested in the discussion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

Its being taken over by pictures of puppies lately.They seem to be all over the front page.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭token56

Slowly becoming addicted to reddit.

If you like looking at pictures, for example r/funny chrome + hoverzoom addon is the way to go.

Also there is the site reddpics which filters out and just displays pictures from different sub reddits, useful for browsing something like r/aww, be warned though there is a nsfw section on it that really is nsfw the moment you click on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

I used to find the layout confusing too but once you get used to it, it's great.

I have an account on it but I think I've only ever made one post. There are absolutely brilliant subreddits, anything you can think of. Their motivation/weight loss/diet subreddits are particularly good reads.

The moderation on Reddit is far better IMO. I find the moderation on boards overpowering and intrusive a lot of the time. I read a quote on Reddit recently saying "A good moderator is an unseen moderator". I know, being a smaller private entity, boards has to a lot stricter, but I much prefer the way communities and subreddits organically evolve on Reddit with the mods in the background, whereas on boards the moderators are a lot more at the forefront and more controlling of the forums.
    EoghanIRL wrote: »
    It lacks a sense of community and the layout is ****e

It has brilliant communities actually. It's just so daunting because it's so big. They do great charity events, meet-ups, worldwide gift exchanges (one at Christmas and one on some random day during the year).

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The moderation on Reddit is far better IMO. I find the moderation on boards overpowering and intrusive a lot of the time. I read a quote on Reddit recently saying "A good moderator is an unseen moderator". I know, being a smaller private entity, boards has to a lot stricter, but I much prefer the way communities and subreddits organically evolve on Reddit with the mods in the background, whereas on boards the moderators are a lot more at the forefront and more controlling of the forums.
    That's a side-effect of the upvote/downvote format. The way most people browse reddit, downvoted comments and posts basically go unseen, which means they require very little moderation. The moderation which is done goes generally unseen by the population because it's mainly on downvoted comments.

Since boards shows everything inline, then every post is equal and some will require moderation and such moderation will always be more visible.

The risk with community moderation through upvote/downvote is that a topic/community which gets an entrenched ethos will start to automatically downvote comments which disgree with them and upvote comments which agree with them. In boards.ie terms, this would mean that posting anything pro-government or anti-SF would get massively downvoted on the Politics forum, such that a casual browser would look at politics and only see a rake of pro-SF and anti-government posts and assume they're all who post there.

Breakingnews.ie has this problem. Any comments which suggest a good news story is propaganda or which go on a rant after a bad news story, gets loads of upvotes. Any dissenters get tonnes of downvotes.

token56 wrote: »
    Slowly becoming addicted to reddit.

If you like looking at pictures, for example r/funny chrome + hoverzoom addon is the way to go.

Also there is the site reddpics which filters out and just displays pictures from different sub reddits, useful for browsing something like r/aww, be warned though there is a nsfw section on it that really is nsfw the moment you click on it.

r/morbidreality is where the juicy stuff is.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

mahonykid wrote: »
    lads 9gag is the way to go

GET OUT!
    Midnight!
    Biggins wrote: »
    :confused:

It's when the narwhal bacons.

I use reddit regularly. I like the system however it can tend to suffer from it too.
    Commenting on a thread on the front page? Pointless. Nobody will see it.
    And then the upvoting system encourages people to post through /r/new and because everyone is vying to get in a quick comment some dumb one line joke will bubble up to the top rather than an actually interesting comment somebody had the misfortune to post when, say, the US was asleep, or after a thread has been posted for three hours.
    I think the content of the links is improved by the upvoting process but frequently on the busier sub-reddits the quality of the comments suffers from it.

Of course in your smaller sub-reddits with less total tardholes comment upvoting can be a good thing.

GET OUT!

It's when the narwhal bacons.

I use reddit regularly. I like the system however it can tend to suffer from it too.
    And then the upvoting system encourages people to post through /r/new and because everyone is vying to get in a quick comment some dumb one line joke will bubble up to the top rather than an actually interesting comment somebody had the misfortune to post when, say, the US was asleep, or after a thread has been posted for three hours.
    I think the content of the links is improved by the upvoting process but frequently on the busier sub-reddits the quality of the comments suffers from it.

Of course in your smaller sub-reddits with less total tardholes comment upvoting can be a good thing.

Its all about the sweet Karma.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Is it that different from boards where people will generally tend to read the first two pages of a thread, then give up, he said, posting on the 6th page of a thread.

It works well for comments on subs like /r/askreddit, where people are sharing interesting stories from their lives too.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Is it that different from boards where people will generally tend to read the first two pages of a thread, then give up, he said, posting on the 6th page of a thread.

It works well for comments on subs like /r/askreddit, where people are sharing interesting stories from their lives too.

A lot of the time on askreddit, you have to go to the new posts at the very bottom under three or four "load more comments" links to see plenty of cool stories that got buried because people didn't get to see it to upvote because it was posted so long after a thread has taken shape.

At least that's my excuse for not having more karma.

I don't necessarily think it's that different to boards. I'm not really comparing one and the other, I just find that a frustrating barrier to entry on reddit. Due to the small size of boards compared with reddit I think a new poster might not be as isolated as a new poster posting on reddit.

I've just started using RES and alien blue on my phone, it's a great site to just get lost in for a while.

Alien blue is a brilliant app. Afaik it was developed by a "normal" redditor, not by reddit themselves?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Yeah, it was written by a different developer. Don't see the fuss with it myself; I actually prefer the website.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Anyone use their Boards username on Reddit too? I do.

newmug wrote: »
    Anyone use their Boards username on Reddit too? I do.

I've seen a good few boardsies on there, or else people with the same usernames! Mine was taken when I signed up so I just use a variation of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I've seen a good few boardsies on there, or else people with the same usernames! Mine was taken when I signed up so I just use a variation of it.

Icouldntgiveaflyingfook???

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Endless Nameless

Suceed wrote: »
    r/4chan/ is very good.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭happypants

I might give reddit another shot, like some previous posters have said, I tried it and thought the layout was a bit all over the place!

It was recommended by a friend who said its not as "cliquey" as boards. They also said that reddit doesn't have the usual 'you're post count is low, so your opinion is worthless' mentality which drives me mad! In after hours especially. I do enjoy boards tho, it's a great site for a read, to kill some time on night shifts and find out about current events/ views first but I generally tend not to post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

I'm enjoying this site now. I'm just visiting one section so its easier to manage. So not as "****" as I first thought then. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

biko wrote: »
    It's like boards, but crap.

Easy to operate with little free speech
    vs
    Difficult to operate with "say anything you like"

I use both for different reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Stimpyone

TIL Reddit is latin for "to give back"

Carry on....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Suceed wrote: »
    r/4chan/ is very good.

His palms are sweaty, knees weak, arms spaghetti
    There’s vomit on spaghetti already, mom’s spaghetti.
    He’s nervous, but on the surface he looks calm spaghetti
    to drop bombs, but he keeps on spaghetti

Advertisement