Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

ICU presidet resignation

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭KenHy

Ah now - there was a sensible conversation going on here - petrol expenses? Seriously?

No matter what side of the debate your coming from if anyone is going to try to use as trivial a point as the culture behind claiming back reasonably incurred expenses as justification for their arguments then clearly they are so blinded by a particular POV there is no point in continuing the debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Zuppy

KenHy wrote: »
    Ah now - there was a sensible conversation going on here - petrol expenses? Seriously?

No matter what side of the debate your coming from if anyone is going to try to use as trivial a point as the culture behind claiming back reasonably incurred expenses as justification for their arguments then clearly they are so blinded by a particular POV there is no point in continuing the debate.

Yip, we have officially run out of legally safe speculation to use and now we are slightly off topic. :-)

Well spotted. Now has anyone any other thoughts on the Union?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭nouse4aname

KenHy wrote: »

I'm not trying to derail the positive discussion that's been going on here but if we're gonna discuss the problems between the TDU and the rest of Canoeing Ireland then this needs to be discussed. You previously said the TDU cannot get the technical committees to see eye to eye with them. Is it no wonder, when there are rules for them and not others... This is not common practice on other committees. Can't you see the problem with that???

If Canoeing Ireland pay travel expenses to TDU members but not other committees then thats wrong. Either pay all committee members expenses or don't pay any. I prefer the second option but either way there needs to be equality.

Again I ask, what makes the TDU so special?

Seriously! Am I the only one here that see's a problem with one group being allowed to claim expenses and not the rest???

• Registered Users Posts: 45 seanieb

Seriously! Am I the only one here that see's a problem with one group being allowed to claim expenses and not the rest???

What you have siad here is FALSE. They can all claim expenses if they need to.

Legitimate reimbursement happens, it has happened on the ICU board and executive, other organizations do so and there is a good reasons to do so.

• Advertisement

seanieb wrote: »
    What you have siad here is FALSE. They can all claim expenses if they need to.

Legitimate reimbursement happens, it has happened on the ICU board and executive, other organizations do so and there is a good reasons to do so.

How is this false? It doesn't happen on any of the other technical committees (certainly none that i know of). The TDU is not the board or the executive; it is a technical committee like slalom, like polo, like marathon.

Is it written in our articles of association that technical committee members can reclaim travel expenses? If so, when was that decided?

If there is a clear, open and transparent policy of reimbursing all technical committee members (regardless of what committee they serve on) then:

1) It is news to me.

and

2) I apologize to all concerned for the last hour of me ranting. :pac:

I don't believe there is such a policy though...

How is this false? It doesn't happen on any of the other technical committees (certainly none that i know of).....
    I think your knowledge of the ICU has been faulty once or twice ion this conversation...just saying:D.
    Is it written in our articles of association that technical committee members can reclaim travel expenses? If so, when was that decided?
    I've no idea, but it doesn't matter. Expenditure is at the discression of the board and the excessive board themselves. Oh, and for bonus points...guess what else isn't in the articles of association?! The GM role.

seanieb wrote: »

I think your knowledge of the ICU has been faulty once or twice ion this conversation...just saying:D.

Yeah you're right, maybe i should talk to the Women's polo chair before posting... :P

Yeah you're right, maybe i should talk to the Women's polo chair before posting... :P
    Touche. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Paddle Hard

Recent posts did take away from healthy debate yet again.
    Some FACTS!
    1. People are entitled to claim travel and subsistence within certain parameters. The travel and subsistence policy was redrafted under the recently resigned executive and the rest of the board.
    Some choose not to avail of this facility, some aren't even aware that they can.

2. The motion which led to the resignation of the Executive and certain Board members had nothing to do with how the GM position came about, whether or not it's creation should be reviewed, whether or not the process was flawed or transparent or fair or any of the other descriptions which have been used in earlier threads.
    The board were asked to support a motion put forward by the President and supported by the Executive. When repeatedly asked why the motion should be supported absoloutely no solid information was provided. Board members were asked in effect to vote blindly. Several Board members asked for clarification as to why the exec felt so strongly about their position they did not put forward any supporting argument. This left a number of Board members unable to support the motion. It fell, the Executive resigned.

Board Member.

P.S fell free to pm me if I can answer any other question I will try to do so. Point worth noting. Since this debacle began only three people have asked me what actually went on, interesting.... Please don't rely on the internet for "facts".

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭adrianshanahan

Feel free to post or DM your name, phone number or email address and I'll happily add you to the list of board members I've spoken to about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭multisport

A few people seem to have highlighted the lack of use of the training centre, particularly over last summer for beginners courses.
    It was spoken about at the last ADM that the number of beginners courses being run was down on previous years, the high river levels over the summer was cited as one of the reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Paddle Hard

@ Adrian, Will do.

Some FACTS!
    1. People are entitled to claim travel and subsistence within certain parameters. The travel and subsistence policy was redrafted under the recently resigned executive and the rest of the board.
    Some choose not to avail of this facility, some aren't even aware that they can.

2. The motion which led to the resignation of the Executive and certain Board members had nothing to do with how the GM position came about, whether or not it's creation should be reviewed, whether or not the process was flawed or transparent or fair or any of the other descriptions which have been used in earlier threads.
    The board were asked to support a motion put forward by the President and supported by the Executive. When repeatedly asked why the motion should be supported absoloutely no solid information was provided. Board members were asked in effect to vote blindly. Several Board members asked for clarification as to why the exec felt so strongly about their position they did not put forward any supporting argument. This left a number of Board members unable to support the motion. It fell, the Executive resigned.

Board Member.

P.S fell free to pm me if I can answer any other question I will try to do so. Point worth noting. Since this debacle began only three people have asked me what actually went on, interesting.... Please don't rely on the internet for "facts".

Thank you.

What would you see as the key items/issues to fix within the ICU structure or operations so that this doesn't occur again?

Some FACTS!

Thanks for that information Paddle Hard! I had no intention of derailing what has been a very productive thread.

Apologies for yesterdays unnecessary ranting, everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 TheBlackJoke

<snip the accusations>

Jaysus, someone has a fierce high opinion of who i am!!! :o Its a bit off topic, but out of curiosity who are you referring to? Its possible i know them and I'm sure they'd be happy to see you accusing them of defrauding the government...

Regarding the rant, as i said apologies for derailing what has been a productive thread. I genuinely didn't know that this policy was available to all committee members (i'm assuming non-Dublin based committee). I would hope that everyone has been made aware of it and maybe it'll encourage more non-Dublin participation on all technical committees!

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭multisport

https://docs.google.com/file/d/1fDjOzScgSN4MOEXVB1EePa2i_yOs8hi1T9j6zALEmnB323M-zymNEGLSmi4Z/edit?pli=1
    Statement January 2013

As an interim measure the Board of the Irish Canoe Union Limited T/A Canoeing Ireland ,
    will continue to take responsibility for the operation of Canoeing Ireland, working with the GM and the
    staff in the Office in the best interests of all its’ members and stakeholders .

The Board presently consists of seven members, the Chairpersons of disciplines, who were elected
    democratically at discipline AGM’s by the paddling community at large.

The Board met on January 9th 2013 to discuss the date for the EDM. At this meeting it was agreed by
    consensus to bring forward the date for the ADM from October 2013 to Saturday 9th March 2013. The
    Annual Delegate Meeting will be convened in order to facilitate the election of a new Executive and
    President. This decision was made on the timeline to allow sufficient time to prepare audited accounts
    and also to avoid the necessity of holding an EDM and an ADM in close proximity.

The Board will meet again in two weeks time and ADM notices will be published shortly.

Yours Sincerely,

The Board of Irish Canoe Union Ltd T/A Canoeing Ireland

Ciaran Farrell, Chairperson Slalom
    Eamon Fleming, Chairperson Sprint
    Brendan O’Brien, Chairperson Marathon
    Michelle Power, Chairperson Canoe Polo
    Tadhg MacIntyre, Chairperson Wild Water Racing
    Brendan Barry, Chairperson Surf
    Adrian Durant, Chairperson Freestyle

ADM vs EDM, not going to please all of the people all of the time.
    Personally I think an ADM is better as everything can be discussed instead of just a single issue of electing a new exec. But we have to wait a little longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Zuppy

multisport wrote: »
    https://docs.google.com/file/d/1fDjOzScgSN4MOEXVB1EePa2i_yOs8hi1T9j6zALEmnB323M-zymNEGLSmi4Z/edit?pli=1

ADM vs EDM, not going to please all of the people all of the time.
    Personally I think an EDM is better as everything can be discussed instead of just a single issue of electing a new exec. But we have to wait a little longer.

I thought the EDM was the single issue meeting?!?!?

The ADM has an agenda and motions can be put to the floor

• Advertisement
Advertisement