Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Scare Mongering at My Front Door

• 03-01-2013 3:49pm

welcome to chapter XXXXXX of bastards at my front door

once again battle-stations were ready this time

so eircom were telling me there is alot of break ins in my area , im not safe bla bla switch to us

my brother rang the house phone so i could say bye bye

:mad: leave me alone

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

tell them you'd rather be robbed by theives than robbed by scum. that'l tells em

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭upstairs for coffee

Great story.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I have a sign on my door; no cold callers, sales or religious types. End problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Grow a pair and when they knock on your front door again - tell them you're not interested and close the door!

Fake phonecall?
    Be a lot easier to tell them to f off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

tajd wrote: »

Jesus. Is he psychic or something? Talk about intuitive...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Judging from over the last year. Eircom, Sky and Vodafone have really upped there cold calls to households.

Sure about two months ago I got the same sky agent knock twice in one day. Now thats cheek :rolleyes: What the first 'no' wasnt good enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Jesus. Is he psychic or something? Talk about intuitive...

I thought that too. Then I realised I'm just old and not with the times. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

The girlfriend is a hairdresser so she has one of those spooky mannequin heads she practises on.

I use it to scare them off by opening the door and coldy staring at them while I comb it's hair, occasionally gently whispering "Shh.......shhhhh....." into it's ear :pac:

Well......that's only half-true...........nobody has called to the house yet......

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Airtricity are great for cold calling. It's usually a sexy Eastern European that rings the bell.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Answer the door in a balaclava

and say "yeah we know"

• Registered Users Posts: 23,833 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

OSI wrote: »
    No one in our estate is allowed to get Sky (fat load of bollox) due to some residents association rules crap. I've had Sky on my door at least once a month for the last year, and told them this every single time. I've had the same person 3 times in a row. Reminded them of this fact and then watched as they walked off to the next house to be told the same thing.

Yeah our residents management agent preached that nonsense because of the 'unsightliness' of dishes when the estate was new, but in the end enough people just ignored them and got sky if they wanted. You should lead the charge and do the same

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

No one in our estate is allowed to get Sky (fat load of bollox) due to some residents association rules crap. I've had Sky on my door at least once a month for the last year, and told them this every single time. I've had the same person 3 times in a row. Reminded them of this fact and then watched as they walked off to the next house to be told the same thing.

Even in recession you still see Sky 'cold calling jobs' being advertised ( http://www.jobs.ie/Jobs.aspx?Categories=Job+Type&Regions=Job+Location&Keywords=Sky )

Has to be such a huge drop out rate (either quitting or getting fired) Its a commisson job so I wouldnt be suprised if they are getting the head chewed off them by managers, hence the sales members being so pushy.

All those commission sales jobs are the same. Dog eat dog, go out and get sales or your are fired, why arent you getting sales? hound people for sales!? get out there! etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,410 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Would, but it's also written into the lease. I was merely stating the estates rules to the Sky folks to basically tell them they were wasting their time.

I thought a sky dish was a sign of affluence these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭crazy cabbage

and if these people were on the dole people would be complaining. At least they are trying to make a living. Not the nicest of jobs but at least it is a job. All you had to do was say no thanks.... or lie and say that you alread had an alarm system put in.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I never get the problem with people calling to the door. Just say no thanks and get on with your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭marketty

Do you never leave the house?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,169 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

I never get the problem with people calling to the door. Just say no thanks and get on with your life.

Thats it. its not like the lads selling stuff take it personally. Just trying to make a few quid

If you're looking to be extra nice to them tell them you work for their rivals

"Hi, can I talk to you about sky?"

"Sorry, I work for UPC"

"Bye"

20-30 seconds and we're back on the sofa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Wils110

and if these people were on the dole people would be complaining. At least they are trying to make a living. Not the nicest of jobs but at least it is a job. All you had to do was say no thanks.... or lie and say that you alread had an alarm system put in.

A lot of them are on the dole they are working self employed not registered so earning a good bit of cash and 188 a week on top

To the op I'd ring eircom your not allowed to use scare tactics like that to sell EPW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

Why dont you just stop answering the door if it bothers you that much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

These people use your politeness against you. They want to put you in a position that's awkward to walk away from. Anyone who wants to abuse the rules of social conduct like that can go fuck themselves. It's not a social call and you don't owe them an audience. They were rude enough to interrupt you with an unwanted sales presentation, so feel free to close the door any time you like.
    I don't care if they're only doing their job, paparazzi are only doing their job, if you accept money to waste my time and annoy me with bullshit, you're just going to have to deal with having a door closed in your face.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭NeVeR

I just don't answer the door to UPC / Eircom or anyone else lol.. I've a door cam.. so i can spot the feckers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

I have vodafone at home. last month had a knock on the door

knock knock

Me. opens door .... yea

Him. Hiya do you have a phone

me. who you with

Him. vodafone

Me. Me too

Him ..smiles... then laughs ..... no your not .... you are just saying that...

Me. smile back ... close door

Kinds bad service If they don't know I am already a customer

Also the eircom guys who are agents for eircom but not eircom employees will cost you more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

People that call to the door = Sales people, tv license inspector, people wanting to talk about jesus, homeless beggars, travellers, the gardai, the landlord ect.
    :mad: ALL BAD

People you like and love and enjoy knock on the window or phone. :)

Don't answer your door people!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,816 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

tajd wrote: »
    welcome to chapter XXXXXX of bastards at my front door

once again battle-stations were ready this time

so eircom were telling me there is alot of break ins in my area , im not safe bla bla switch to us

:mad: leave me alone

Just move

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

Even in recession you still see Sky 'cold calling jobs' being advertised ( http://www.jobs.ie/Jobs.aspx?Categories=Job+Type&Regions=Job+Location&Keywords=Sky )

Has to be such a huge drop out rate (either quitting or getting fired) Its a commisson job so I wouldnt be suprised if they are getting the head chewed off them by managers, hence the sales members being so pushy.

All those commission sales jobs are the same. Dog eat dog, go out and get sales or your are fired, why arent you getting sales? hound people for sales!? get out there! etc etc.

Always be closing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

Is that even legal? You pay your rent, you should be allowed to have TV in your own home if you choose.

Cold callers - my first 'no' is polite, second one is stronger, third one is the door in their face, simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Eircom phonewatch tried that 'lots of breakins in your estate' trick with me too. I called our community guard who told me it was a load of lies.
    It would seem this is their standard pitch these days. Pathetic. But I would guess that loads of old dears sin up with them based on that lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,410 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Is that even legal? You pay your rent, you should be allowed to have TV in your own home if you choose.

Cold callers - my first 'no' is polite, second one is stronger, third one is the door in their face, simple.

For the life of me I can't see what difference it makes having a dish on your house,do you turn into a raving lunatic because you put a dish up,

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭daveyeh

NeVeR wrote: »
    I just don't answer the door to UPC / Eircom or anyone else lol.. I've a door cam.. so i can spot the feckers.

I've a window, I can see them, thay can see me.

I don't answer the door, they **** off. No problems.