Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Pass the Bubble Wrap Please*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Nice work!!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭banner_phoenix

Good session there missus, you're flying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Ankle injury + visit to physio = no training for a few days. Sucks!

Solobally8 wrote: »
    Ankle injury + visit to physio = no training for a few days. Sucks!

Ah balls, you're kidding. Can you do anything at all?

Ah balls, you're kidding. Can you do anything at all?

Not till Friday anyway banner.

I was worried about the pain after fridays long run but then it eased so I tried to convince myself it was ok. Then Monday at work I jogged for about 60 seconds during PE with my students and it was killing me so I booked a physio appointment for today. Went home and was feeling fine so tried it out on the treadmill. Managed 2 miles but it was painful and after 30 mins on the turbo, it was pretty bad. Rested yesterday and had planned not to run today either but wanted to make the club swim tonight.

Physio says its the beginning of a tendon problem but I've caught it early so there is still hope for me making the start line in Dungarven. She wants me to rest it completely till Friday and test it with a very short run. I have some strengthening work to do and its taped up for now. Hate being injured, I was on a roll with the training there for a few weeks :(

• Advertisement

Boo...but mind the ankle.

Hope test run goes well for you.

Hope test run goes well for you.

It went ok, not great but not as bad as I feared it would be. I only did 2 miles so didnt test it too much. After I was still unsure what to do about the race. Then yesterday it was quite sore after college even though we were doing resistance work all day and not anything much that could have aggravated it.

Wheelers cycle today. I really found it tough. I had a burning sensation in my chest and never settled into the cycle, couldnt catch my breath. Almost like how I felt during Brian Boru last year except I didnt panic so managed to keep going. Wheezing and coughing for a long time after. Not worried about being crap on the cycle though- the guys are great and waited for me when I fell off the back. Everyone has off days so fingers crossed I will be grand next week. 59.8k total. Quick swim after. The pool was mental busy so it was a game of dodgems instead of a consistent swim. 800m

Totally wrecked after. Decided not to try another test run on the ankle, its too sore. Dungarven is out. Im not too sad about it though, all that training has to stand to me in the long run and I wasnt too excited about driving the whole way to Dungarven and running a race on my own either. I think it's the best decision, running through it could have put my training back by months,now I'll work on fixing it before it gets too bad.

In other news I brought my bike to a different guy to have the chain problem looked at. He was not impressed with what the bike shop guy had done- put a 10 speed cassette and chain on my 9 speed bike and not only had he replaced my chain ring with a hybrid one, he had put it on backwards. The new guy fixed all the problems, gave it a service and did a bike fit all for less than I paid the first guy to mess the bike up in the first place:mad:

My week totals are low as I had to rest for 3 days and Saturday as all resistance work in college.
    4.5 hrs, 1 swim, 2 runs, 1 cycle, 1 turbo, 1 cross training session

Next week will be low again as I have a huge amount of college work to fit. 3 exams next weekend, 1 theory and 2 practical.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Whats the exams? Are they ITEC ones you're doing? I never thought about it but I probably still have a rake of material and exam questions...

Whats the exams? Are they ITEC ones you're doing? I never thought about it but I probably still have a rake of material and exam questions...

Thanks M but they are NCEF ones. If I only got round to actually studying what I aleady have and practicing the practical stuff I'd be grand :)

In other news training not really happening this week. Swam after work Monday evening. Got to the pool late though so only a very quick session. 950m.

Took a planned rest day on Tuesday.

Played a game of indoor soccer at work yesterday but had to stop at half time as my ankle was just too sore. My number for Dungarven had arrived Tuesday and I was tempted to do the race, convincing myself the pain wouldnt be that bad. That game of soccer woke me up- no way I'm able for a 10 mile run on the stupid ankle.

Went to my sisters after work and spent a couple hours practicing my Ex to Music routine for my exam on Saturday. I was too lazy when I got home to go back out for the club swim.

• Advertisement

Thursday 24th Jan
    Got to the pool at 11.15, groaned when I saw a school bus outside. No swim for me, pool full even though timetable had said it was open to the public- grr!

50 minute turbo and treadmill run in the evening. Managed 25 minutes until the ankle was too sore to carry on. I've decided not to run for a week and see if rest helps because short runs most definitely are not.

Friday 25th Jan
    Was studying and practicing my routines for my assessments all day so only managed a very short 40 minutes on turbo before heading into UL. Exam was grand, lecturer so dull and boring. Happy to be finished with that module.

Saturday 26th Jan
    I had 2 exams today. First one was teaching an exercise to music warm up routine and the second was a warm up for circuit training. Both went very well. Got A1s in both. They were fun actually. Body sore and tired now. All that hopping and jumping was not good for the ankle.

What kind of exercise are you doing to music?? I used to be an aerobics instructor and absolutely LOVED teaching that sort of thing. We'd have to choreograph our own routines to music of our choosing - and I thought that was the best fun!! :)

Dory Dory wrote: »
    What kind of exercise are you doing to music?? I used to be an aerobics instructor and absolutely LOVED teaching that sort of thing. We'd have to choreograph our own routines to music of our choosing - and I thought that was the best fun!! :)

It's just a basic aerobics class, v steps, side steps that kind of thing. Same idea, choreograph the routine and pick the music. I'm beginning to think that this will be my area- I find it much easier and more fun than step aerobics. The course is excellent so far and I'm starting to think I might actually be able to unleash myself on the public sometime soon :)

It's just a basic aerobics class, v steps, side steps that kind of thing. Same idea, choreograph the routine and pick the music. I'm beginning to think that this will be my area- I find it much easier and more fun than step aerobics. The course is excellent so far and I'm starting to think I might actually be able to unleash myself on the public sometime soon :)

I can totally see you doing this. I loved how the music could carry you away....and the workout just happened. ;)

Congrats on the exam results :D

Sunday 27th January
    Decided to skip club cycle and have a lie in this morning. Twas lovely :)
    Went to the pool for a nice long swim. Met a club mate half way through so ended up chatting for half an hour while shriveling up:D 2.1k with 5x 100 pull

2 hour turbo after walking the dog. I was so bored by the end, nothing on tv and my arse was broken. No road cycling this week, just 3 turbo sessions. Better than nothing I suppose. Not sure I'd be willing to do another 2 hour turbo any time soon. Next weekend I'll definitely be getting up early to go out on the road.

Reading the thread on dungarven makes me jealous. I really hope it's the only race I miss this year :(

Monday 28th Jan Swim
    15 length warm up then into my 400m TT. Really went for it. My arms were killing me by the end and my stroke was all over the place. Last time it took me 9:38 :o so when I saw 9:03 on the clock I thought I might have been a length short! Thankfully when I checked it had the 16 done. Delighted with the improvement. Still the slowest swimmer on the planet but at least I'm improving. Aim for next months TT is to get under 9 minutes.

1350m total

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Well done that's a whopping chunk off!

Whoop whoop!!! Smashing swimming there - well done!! :):D:):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

35secs and a 6% improvement, great stuff.

• Advertisement

Still a lot of work to do with the swimming to get anywhere near decent speeds but it's a start. I also need to work on pacing. There was 9.6 seconds difference between my fastest and slowest 25m.

Tuesday 29th Jan
    65 minute turbo with sprints. Nothing thrilling or exciting to report.

Wednesday 30th Jan
    Rest day today except for my usual walk with the monster dog and game of indoor soccer at work. Delighted that the kids have bought into the idea of proper warm ups, stretching and cool down. Great fun

Thursday 31st Jan
    I had planned to go the the 6.30am club swim this morning. I havent been to one of these early sessions in months. Alarm went off, I turned it off and went back to sleep :rolleyes: Mornings and me just dont go together.

Finally go to the pool at 10. I was really looking forward to getting back in as I'm loving swimming these days. 66 lengths with a 750m TT just to see how long a sprint swim would take me if I had to do one tomorrow. Answer to that one = ages :D

Turbo session after walking the monster. I had thought about going for a road cycle but the wind on the walk convinced me that turbo was the only option. 65 mins with lots of out of the saddle stuff. Long time since I did any out of the saddle work. It hurt!

3.5k treadmill run after. It's been a week since I ran. The ankle was fine throughout the run but is quite sore since. Bummer

Rest day Friday as I was studying for an exam again. Saturday was exercise to music, flexibility and step aerobics practice. I managed about an hour of ex to music and the flexibility stuff but my ankle was way too sore for the step aerobics. This injury is really affecting my ability to fully participate in the course. Starting to pee me off a little now :(

Sunday 3rd Feb
    76.23km cycle with North Tipp Wheelers. Lashed raining, very windy, only 7 of us struggling through it. Great fun, loved it :D I'm so relieved as I struggled on the cycle 2 weeks ago. It's a great confidence booster to have a good cycle. I also managed to hang on for the sprint finish at the end, great craic.

800m swim after. I had planned to do more but the pool was very busy and I couldnt get a straight run. The stress of annoying Sunday swimmers was starting to wreck my super cycling buzz so I made a quick exit.

Good week overall even though I took 2 days off and am still injured. 8 hrs training, 3 swims, 3 cycles, 1 run and 1 cross training session.

Tuesday 5th Feb
    Swim after work. I was supposed to do this yesterday but got held up at work. Got to the pool nice and early today so got a full 45 minutes in. I tried more bilateral breathing, swallowed and inhaled half the pool so my poor nose is all fizzy and sniffly now:( I'm so very bad at it but I'm going to keep practising -MCOS's post on the TT thread has inspired me to keep trying. I also noticed I do very little kicking while I swim. I used to think this was a good thing as my legs would be fresh for the bike but I'm starting to think that I really could do with upping the leg work part of my stroke to help increase speed:) Jeez it was tough, it's not like I was kicking like a mental person or anything like I do when I'm doing kicking drills with the club. Even still the little increase I did tonight tired me out. I had to stop after every 50m to catch my breath. Going to keep practising that too.

Oh also I counted my strokes for a while. 28 for 25 metres :o Practised gliding a bit more between strokes and got it down to a consistent 25. Will work on that too. Lots to do so

1600m total

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

-MCOS's post on the TT thread has inspired me to keep trying.

It's a great post all right, early contender for post of the year. I've been thinking about it all day too:)
    Oh also I counted my strokes for a while. 28 for 25 metres :o Practised gliding a bit more between strokes and got it down to a consistent 25. Will work on that too. Lots to do so

I'm hesitant to give stroke advice when I've so much to learn in that respect myself, but this nugget seems pretty universal for lengthening your stroke- try brushing your thumb against your thigh on exit, it'll give you more paddle time and should get you more distance per stroke.

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    I'm hesitant to give stroke advice when I've so much to learn in that respect myself, but this nugget seems pretty universal for lengthening your stroke- try brushing your thumb against your thigh on exit, it'll give you more paddle time and should get you more distance per stroke.

Thanks Kurt, I'll give that a go. I used to do that when I was learning to swim last year but havent done it in a while.

Dory Dory wrote: »

Weirdos. This is exactly why I only worked in gyms to get me through college. :)

Weirdos. This is exactly why I only worked in gyms to get me through college. :)

Oh you're missing out big time M :D

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I would never make it as an aerobics instructor. It would be the seventh circle of hell for me. I cant tell left from right or dance to save my life! So hats off to ya, ,weirdo ;)

Oryx wrote: »
    I would never make it as an aerobics instructor. It would be the seventh circle of hell for me. I cant tell left from right or dance to save my life! So hats off to ya, ,weirdo ;)

Worst part is you have to call left and raise your right to mirror the participants. AAAAGGGHHHHH.

I always did body conditioning classes. Couldn't be doing with that dancey aerobics malarky.

So not a dancer.

• Advertisement

Okay....next time I am in Ireland (perhaps for DCM :)) I challenge anyone to a dance off!!!! :D

Advertisement