Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Earth's twin will be found this year.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Tomk1

Reads a bit like science fiction, an Alien Earth, even if they find a planet Earth like size and in a habitable zone, still doesn't mean they will be able to tell if it supports life, only the probability of supporting life.

But the social impact and spin off, from such a find would be greater than the discovery of the Americas.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Dynamo Roller1

Getting there is the problem

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

Getting there is the problem
    light years away!!!365 thousand miles a sec for a year =one light year (is that about right) nearest planet is 50 light years away? 365 thousand miles a second x one year x 50 years to the nearest neighbour outside our solar system.the distances are almost beyond comprehension..or are they??im going by what government scientists have been telling me..for years..and lately im a bit SLOW in Believing anything gov pUppets Report .....

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Dynamo Roller1

Maudi wrote: »
    light years away!!!365 thousand miles a sec for a year =one light year (is that about right) nearest planet is 50 light years away? 365 thousand miles a second x one year x 50 years to the nearest neighbour outside our solar system.the distances are almost beyond comprehension..or are they??im going by what government scientists have been telling me..for years..and lately im a bit SLOW in Believing anything gov pUppets Report .....

what has the gov got to do with the speed of light calculations???

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭RoverZT

http://www.space.com/19044-alien-earth-exoplanets-2013.html

With an estimated 50 billion Planets in our Galaxy alone,it is predicted that there are 5 million the same as Earth.

There are 7 billion people on earth, but only one Lionel Messi.No one at all like him.

So saying that, how the **** do they come to the conclusion that there are 5 million planets like earth?

Bull****, that's what it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Wow, they are out in force tonight. Is there a full moon, or is there something in the aclo water in the pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

RoverZT wrote: »
    There are 7 billion people on earth, but only one Lionel Messi.No one at all like him.

So saying that, how the **** do they come to the conclusion that there are 5 million planets like earth?

Read the link.
    The brainy people estimate that 1 in every 10,000 planets is the same as Earth,giving you a figure of 5 million.And that is only in our Galaxy,never mind the other 200 billion.

Although I do see your point about Messi,but dont forget Ibrahimovic and the others.

Read the link.
    The brainy people estimate that 1 in every 10,000 planets is the same as Earth,giving you a figure of 5 million.And that is only in our Galaxy,never mind the other 200 billion.

Brainy people just guessed though.
    "Assuming that 1:10,000 are similar to the Earth would give us 5,000,000 such planets," added Tuomi,

I myself estimate that there are 0 Earth like planets in our galaxy.

What do you think?

Messi is in a world of his own, whatever about the rest.

Ibrahimovic is on fire on the moment, probably the best striker in the world with Van Persie and Falcao very close.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

186 thousand miles per second (approx) equates to 300 thousand kilometers a second. (approx) But it is still a long way and faster than we can travel by many orders of magnitude. (With current technology that is) It is still distances that you can only comprehend with maths though. I don't think the human mind can actually grasp the actual distance. At least I know mine can't. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

http://www.space.com/19044-alien-earth-exoplanets-2013.html

With an estimated 50 billion Planets in our Galaxy alone,it is predicted that there are 5 million the same as Earth.
    On what basis are they guessing?

Not only that but same in what way? Same diameter? Same atmosphere? Same orbit?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

If they found an Earth like planet a billion years younger than ours, it would look nothing like earth today. The astronomical amount of things which had to happen exactly as they did over the last 4.5 billion years made earth like it is today. They may find many planets the same size and distance from a similar sun, but finding earth's twin is not so easy. And although I'm sure it is out there, I doubt it's every 1 in 10,000!

3rdDegree wrote: »
    I doubt it's every 1 in 10,000!

We would have surely found alot of Earth's if that was true.

I should be able to look out my window and see one with those estimates.

There are 1 in 50,000 McDonalds per capita here, not too hard to find one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,428 ✭✭✭TheChizler

There are 1 in 50,000 McDonalds per capita here, not too hard to find one of them.
    Ah! But if 1 in 50,000 fast food outlets was a McDonalds I most likely would not have had my panic-bought-double-quarter-pounder tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Tomk1

Although I do see your point about Messi,but dont forget Ibrahimovic and the others.

I had to look these up, thought they might have of been names of possible planets. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Curly Judge

The speed of light - 186,000 miles per second - and the light years distant are only part of the problem.
    As the speed of light seems to be the speed limit of the universe we have, [for now at least], to assume that the best we can do is get very close - say 99.99% of C.
    You have to accelerate slowly up to that speed, at say 1G, otherwise you are in grave danger of turning your brains into pea soup.
    When you hit Einstein's wall you can then cruise at max speed for as many years as are necessary.
    Somewhere on your itinerary you have to turn the ship around an decelerate at the same rate as you accelerated.
    I am not capable of doing the maths but I would guess that you would need at least 80 years to reach a planet 50 light years away.
    Because of relativity it would be theoretically possible for a space traveller to make the round trip within one lifetime, but when you returned you would find that your grandchildren had been dead for 100 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ps200306

For an engaging and fascinating 90 minute lecture on the Kepler mission to find other planets by one of the NASA research scientists involved, listen to the October 2012 lecture here:

http://astrosociety.org/education/past-silicon-valley-astronomy-lectures/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Venus / Mars could be considered earths twins.

If Venus was in the orbit of Mars and visa versa how would they compare.

Would Venus have lost all her oceans ?

Mars would have a thinner atmosphere but what would the temperature be like at the poles ?

Oh and finding a moon sized moon would be a big plus

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭ciaranmac

On the other hand you can think for yourself and fact check before you decide what to believe or disbelieve. The speed of light is something you can easily look up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Curly Judge

Maybe this is the sort of guy we should be sending?
    http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/imagegallery/image_feature_2423.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

Congrats on using the worst analogy I've ever seen or heard. Thats quite an achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

Looks like we (By which I mean they) are going to have to figure how to bend space and get these bleedin worm holes to get us across the massive distances involved.

Now possibly 17 billion Earth sized planets in our Galaxy.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-20942440

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

17 billion is a big sounding number, but not when you work out the size of the galaxy and the number of stars in it. All the same I don't think we will find another earth in the coming year. Maybe in ten years but not this year. In fact I am so pessimistic about it and the way hopes get dashed so often I will bet my house on it not happening.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

We don't need gravity wells.

For any civilisation that is capable of surviving interstellar transport asteroid belts would be better.

Saturn or similar could make a nice prison colony. Gravity is only a little more than here, but escape velocity means there probably isn't any escape.

NoQuarter wrote: »
    Congrats on using the worst analogy I've ever seen or heard. Thats quite an achievement.

1 Messi

1 planet like Earth

What's so hard to understand?

Do you want to make alot of money? Do you?

Find me another Messi, you have all the stars, galaxies etc to find him.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭ZeRoY

Using the same thinking that of OP and most of us here who have understood the question and what it implies, there's just over 7 billions Messi on Earth - they're called Human beings :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

1 Messi

1 planet like Earth

What's so hard to understand?

Do you want to make alot of money? Do you?

He's a human being, like the other 7 billion human beings on the planet. Sure there's some differences between him & everyone else...but there's differences in planets too. He's good at football, our planet has a 24 hour rotation. He's probably rubbish at singing, another planet might have a 26 hour rotation.

It really is a poor analogy man

• Advertisement

EnterNow wrote: »
    another planet might have a 26 hour rotation.
    or even 24 hr 37 min 22.663 sec ;)

Advertisement