Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Films/Documentaries about Running

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭One_More_Mile

Cabaal wrote: »
    Watched Unbreakable : The Western States 100, the other night, I liked it, insane bunch of people

I wonder where did you see it from- netflix? No sure I want to pay the massive price being asked from totalfilm.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I wonder where did you see it from- netflix? No sure I want to pay the massive price being asked from totalfilm.

I paid for the download SD version of the film from the journey films website. Cost 22e.... Cheaper then dvd for 35e.

Doubt it's on netflix and the like

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭vigos

Think it was posted elsewhere on this forum or on boards.ie but here is a documentary on John Lenihan the Kerry mountain runner

Part 1

http://vimeo.com/15070035

Part 2

http://vimeo.com/15280983

Part 3

http://vimeo.com/15574459

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

http://www.runningamerica08.com

Running America was OK. Marshall Ulrich and Charlie Engle try and break the record running from San Francisco to New York. Read about all the tension between the teams during the trip after watching, not shown of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Ruubot2 wrote: »
    http://www.runningamerica08.com

Running America was OK. Marshall Ulrich and Charlie Engle try and break the record running from San Francisco to New York. Read about all the tension between the teams during the trip after watching, not shown of course.

Yes, Marshall Ulrich has told a few "interesting" stories in his book. If the anecdotes are true then Charlie Engle isn't someone I would ever want to meet - though that's only one side of the story, of course!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Combo.

I'm delighted with this thread. I LOVE running documentaries so pls keep them coming :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Yes, Marshall Ulrich has told a few "interesting" stories in his book. If the anecdotes are true then Charlie Engle isn't someone I would ever want to meet - though that's only one side of the story, of course!

Mr Engle spent a bit of time in prison as a direct result of Running the Sahara and perhaps the way he behaved in some of those documentaries.

The actual crime is a bit of a grey area, the New York Times had a very sympathetic piece about his conviction, arguing it may not have been a crime at all. Something to with mortgages and loans.

However, the reason why he got ‘caught’ was after a special agent for the US internal revenue saw one of the films and wondered how someone could afford to train and run in an event like that. So they pretty much carried out an audit on him and found stuff they didn’t like.

You would wonder if he came across a bit better in the film, if the taxman would’ve bothered his arse.

Great read. http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/26/business/26nocera.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    Mr Engle spent a bit of time in prison as a direct result of Running the Sahara and perhaps the way he behaved in some of those documentaries.

The actual crime is a bit of a grey area, the New York Times had a very sympathetic piece about his conviction, arguing it may not have been a crime at all. Something to with mortgages and loans.

However, the reason why he got ‘caught’ was after a special agent for the US internal revenue saw one of the films and wondered how someone could afford to train and run in an event like that. So they pretty much carried out an audit on him and found stuff they didn’t like.

You would wonder if he came across a bit better in the film, if the taxman would’ve bothered his arse.

Great read. http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/26/business/26nocera.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Yes, I am aware of all that, though Charlie Engle claims that the Sahara trip was financed by the film production company and his only crime was exaggerating his income for a self-certified mortgage.

I always thought he came across like a complete w*****r in the Sahara film (which I saw a couple of years ago, well before reading Ulrich's book and before his conviction), which is why I tend to believe the stories in the book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭b.harte

I finally managed to watch "Unbreakable" and "Running Madness", as well as another short documentary called "Run Pharm Boy, Run".
    It was weird but what struck me in all of them was that those involved seemed very happy, at peace, relaxed with themselves.
    No one seemed overly bothered about real world stuff like jobs, money, etc.
    Especially in Unbreakable, the "Elites" seemed to really enjoy what they do, as if it was a whole-life thing, not just an exercise thing, and yes, I imagine that sponsorship possibly takes the edge off real world stuff.
    Those that had "proper" jobs / studies still had some form of connection to their environment, and as such their running.
    I was actually surprised how good Unbreakable is, the backdrop looks amazing and even the back stories were worth watching for.
    It was also great seeing the different types of people involved, and how no one seemed to be fighting the landscape, everything looked fluid and graceful.
    Highly recommend viewing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭robbicosta

b.harte wrote: »
    I was actually surprised how good Unbreakable is, the backdrop looks amazing and even the back stories were worth watching for.
    It was also great seeing the different types of people involved, and how no one seemed to be fighting the landscape, everything looked fluid and graceful.
    Highly recommend viewing it.

I saw Unbreakable two years ago when it came out. My mate organised a cinema screening for a group of us trail runner types in Sydney. It's probably the best running movie out there and it inspired me to apply for WSER that year. I missed out on the lottery but applied again for this year. Despite being a 7/1 shot to get in, I won a place and now we're off to California in June. This race has been on my bucket list and I cannot wait to do it. It'll only have about 380 runners and all the best ultra runners from around the world.

I met Ryan Sandes and Killian Jornet before and they are friendly down to earth guys. They don't earn a huge amount for guys at the top of their sport but they love what they do and seem to run the hills with ease. Anna Frost is one of the top women in the sport. She travelled around the world last year for races and stayed in tents and camper vans.

Will be nice to rub shoulders with Sandes and other top ultra runners in such a small field. Silver belt buckle is the target (sub 24 hours). Really looking forward to it now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭overpronator

This is fairly topical, ESPN documentary about the 100m final in the 1988 olympics, focussing on the Carl Lewis v Ben Johnson story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

I really liked town of runners (itunes) and personal best (netflix); they're not glammed up like a lot of documentaries/movies. I seem to remember quite liking prefontaine (itunes, i think), even if its a bit cheesey. They don't come prettier than Killian Jornet's summits of my life.

kingQuez wrote: »
    They don't come prettier than Killian Jornet's summits of my life.
    thanks for that, well worth watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Four Minutes is available on Netflix, the story of Roger Bannister's sub-4 minute mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭rom

Four Minutes is available on Netflix, the story of Roger Bannister's sub-4 minute mile.
    I was reading something recently that there were a few 1500m runners at the time that their times suggested were a capable of a sub-4. It has been the years since that it has been hyped up more than it was at the time. Incidentally Chris Chataway finished 2nd in the european champs 5000m but two weeks later the 1,2 was reversed with him coming out on top in the London v Moscow athletics competition breaking the world record doing so in a similar finish to Haile/Tergat. This was televised and of course the sub 4 was not and as a result he won BBC Sports Personality of the Year with Roger Bannister coming in 2nd.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Town of runners, endurance, the athlete, running in the sahara(maybe a bit too American), defining moment.

The Athlete is just starting on the Africa channel (Sky 209)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Very good insight into the rise of Swedish Multi/field eventers in the late 90s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XnQyI3Mgbc

ecoli wrote: »
    Very good insight into the rise of Swedish Multi/field eventers in the late 90s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XnQyI3Mgbc

A great video. Seen it a bit back.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭funrunner95

Link for Running to the Limits => http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QasUkCNEcWI . I really liked this one, gives hope to any couch potato out there with serious running aspirations!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Journey Films, the guys that created the doc on the western states 100 are in the process of making a weekly trail running series. Ok not a film/doc but might be of interest.

see trailer

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Saw that recently and it wasn't bad for a bit of light entertainment.

http://vimeo.com/85677240
    Going the Distance is an award-winning short documentary about a running-addict who has been diagnosed with cancer.

Maurice Mullins was once an ultra distance runner and is now undergoing chemotherapy. His disease has meant that he has lost his lifelong passion, but his determination to compete again in a sport that he loves drives him to face his darkest days with optimism and humour.

Maurice’s story is a simple one - he just wants to run again. Through this straight narrative the film explores how he draws parallels between his years of sports training to how he copes with undergoing chemotherapy. The film brings the viewer face to face with the question of how we will respond when confronted with adversity, with our own mortality and with the loss of our greatest love or passion.

The filmmaker is Maurice’s daughter and in just 12 minutes the audience gets a glimpse of many sides of the one man; the runner, the philosopher, the father, the friend and the entertainer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Cabaal wrote: »

Thanks for sharing that. Maurice was a maths teacher where I went to secondary school and as can be seen from the video a bit eccentric. It seemed so strange back in the 80's for someone to run into work everyday and I remember him running past the school on one of his Belfast-dublin runs as well.

I'd heard he hadn't been well in recent years but good to see him still fighting away.

Just watched this:

It is worth watching just for the vertigo inducing action shots from the head cam.
    The scenery is as always the main star, not so much a movie about running but more an insight into what makes some people tick, and to be fair Emelie Forsberg is a bit of a hottie as well. As with the last installment it is really all about him, but he does come across as someone who just loves being out and about.

Alos got to watch but it's only okay:

It is full of great scenery and again a bit of a biography, not a bad watch just didn't seem to engage me as much as I had thought. Alos, if your fingers a feicin numb with the cold put on a t-shirt Hippy! :D:D

Also caught up with the ESPN one about doping in the 100mtr final, another good watch, thanks for the recommendation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

I know it was previously mentioned but I thought I would throw up a link having just watched it. Truly remarkable story about an inspirational man.

Run For Your Life:

http://www.popcornflix.com/Run-For-Your-Life/62b9ff98-2995-4f7e-8fb3-c9c5bfcafd4f

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Saw the DVD pass by the counter but didn't get a chance to see it yet.

Running For Jim

b.harte wrote: »
    Just watched this:

It is worth watching just for the vertigo inducing action shots from the head cam.
    The scenery is as always the main star, not so much a movie about running but more an insight into what makes some people tick, and to be fair Emelie Forsberg is a bit of a hottie as well. As with the last installment it is really all about him, but he does come across as someone who just loves being out and about.

Alos got to watch but it's only okay:

It is full of great scenery and again a bit of a biography, not a bad watch just didn't seem to engage me as much as I had thought. Alos, if your fingers a feicin numb with the cold put on a t-shirt Hippy! :D:D

Also caught up with the ESPN one about doping in the 100mtr final, another good watch, thanks for the recommendation.

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNTAyNzExOTgw.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

There is one I watched on Netflix the other day called Town Of Runners. It was quite good.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2108648/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

• Advertisement
Advertisement