Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ending Aging : Ending the diseases of old age

Options
  • 02-01-2013 1:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭

There have been alot of angst ridden threads here recently about death and aging. The fear of death and getting old , and what would you do if you knew how long you had left.. etc .I think some people expected the world to end a few weeks ago, so they had made peace with their imminent death

The aging of the human body is an engineering problem that can be fixed. It is inevitable that this will happen. With the rate of Technological progress, it will happen sooner than you think .Just relax , stay healthy , be safe, enjoy yourself and hang in there for a few more decades.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Do you know the 7 signs of ageing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭Fox_In_Socks

Boombastic wrote: »
    Do you know the 7 signs of ageing?

Heart?

http://ispeakcomics.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/mati.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

sxt wrote: »
    The aging of the human body is an engineering problem that can be fixed. It is inevitable that this will happen. With the rate of Technological progress, it will happen sooner than you think.

But the speed of such progress will be determined by the positive or negative effects, such potential progress has on corporate profit margins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭The Dagda

There have been alot of angst ridden threads here recently about death and aging. The fear of death and getting old , and what would you do if you knew how long you had left.. etc .I think some people expected the world to end a few weeks ago, so they had made peace with their imminent death

The aging of the human body is an engineering problem that can be fixed. It is inevitable that this will happen. With the rate of Technological progress, it will happen sooner than you think .Just relax , stay healthy , be safe, enjoy yourself and hang in there for a few more decades.

There's loads of "engineering problems" that haven't been solved. I wouldn't be holding my breath on the aging thing, if I were you...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Stopping aging would be rather problematic thing to do. Without aging we would probably see a population explosion unless extreme measures were taken to prevent it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,135 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Too many people are already living too long.

In the future the number of workers will not be able to sustain the number of old folk that need looked after.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭sxt

But the speed of such progress will be determined by the positive or negative effects, such potential progress has on corporate profit margins.

Yes , Until there is a fundamental breakthrough that shows that these problems can be fixed/ A proof of concept .When for example , it is scientifically proven how to significantly prolong the healthy lifespan of a middle aged mouse . There will be a public demand and hence political demand and corporate drive to apply it to people

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

NIMAN wrote: »
    Too many people are already living too long.

In the future the number of workers will not be able to sustain the number of old folk that need looked after.

That applies to certain countries. Just because Western Europe and N. America have this issue. Doesn't make it a world problem of ageing population.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭RB94

That would be a gerontological matter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Jesus, who'd want to live forever anyway? I couldn't think of anything worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

One thing is certain in life,
    politicians will lie
    you WILL die, bitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭ygolometsipe

its not a disease, its an expression of freedom!

regards
    Team America
    **** Yeah

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭DEVEREUX

wes wrote: »
    Stopping aging would be rather problematic thing to do. Without aging we would probably see a population explosion unless extreme measures were taken to prevent it.

Probably?

I couldn't think of anything worse.

Dying tomorrow?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

The Dagda wrote: »

Dying tomorrow?!

Meh. Not as bad as living forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I'd rather be a healthy 80+ year old with good movement and my mental health up to scratch rather than being 120+ years old, withered in a chair and frequently shìtting my nappy because a banana didn't agree with me.

Anyways, the kids would be getting impatient to get their grubby mitts on my will.

It is not about living forever. It is about preventing the current diseases of old age, nobody wants them, and living healthier and longer as a consequence.Everybody would want that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Theoretically it would be possible not to age .
    Sharks don't age , if we could find out exactly why we could try and find a way to apply it to Humans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭Fox_In_Socks

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    Theoretically it would be possible not to age .
    Sharks don't age , if we could find out exactly why we could try and find a way to apply it to Humans

How can we harness that power, Eoghan?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

It is not about living forever. It is about preventing the current diseases of old age, nobody wants them, and living healthier and longer as a consequence.Everybody would want that.

Reminds me of Brave New World. Perfect health until 60, then you die.

Duggy747 wrote: »
    I'd rather be a healthy 80+ year old with good movement and my mental health up to scratch rather than being 120+ years old, withered in a chair and frequently shìtting my nappy because a banana didn't agree with me.

When you can fix/repair the diseases of old age , then you would not suffer the consequence of old age/diseases. It is all about prolonging the healthy lifespan of a person.Nobody wants to live longer in ill health. You could be 80 years old and be as healthy and as active as a 40/30/20 year old, dependant on the therapies availible at the time. If you can prolong the healthy lifespan of a person by 10 years at first for example. After 10 years the therapies would have advanced in efficiency again

How can we harness that power, Eoghan?

And where are all the ancient sharks?..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

The Dagda wrote: »

And where are all the ancient sharks?..
    I have no idea . It was on a show on discovery Channel before . It would be cool not to age .

These are the 7 cause of damage underlying aging. It is an engineering problem which can and will be fixed.

1) cell depletion
    2) chromosomal mutations (cancer)
    3) mitochrondrial mutations
    4) unwanted cells that won't die
    5) extracellular crosslinks
    6) extracellular junk
    7) intracellular junk

"These seven sources of damage are treated as comprehensive because they were all discovered over 20 years ago, and our tools for detecting sources of pathology have improved so greatly over this time, that if there were others to be found, they would be obvious by now. "

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-sens.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭VEN

Stopping aging would be rather problematic thing to do. Without aging we would probably see a population explosion unless extreme measures were taken to prevent it

not a bad idea, a good culling is on the cards anyway

When you can fix/repair the damage and effects of aging , that means women of a certain age are not forced to have kids before a certain age...A woman could be any hypothectical age and have her first child..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Not me but if asked if I wanted to live for a very very long time with good health then you can count me in. I reckon if aging could be stopped when you were circa 25 and you went on to live for another couple of hundred years that would be nice (assuming all the other issues involved with having a such a population could be solved. I'm not interested in living to 300+ and constantly having to scrape out an existance).

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

When you can fix/repair the damage and effects of aging , that means women of a certain age are not forced to have kids before a certain age...A woman could be any hypothectical age and have her first child..
    Indeed, who knows what the effect would be on population dynamics, since there would be no specific time at which any couple needed to have children. Most likely many couples would delay child bearing for quite some time, maybe 40 or 50 years. It could even result in a reduction in birth rates as people see no need to have children because it's no longer the natural order of things that you live, procreate and die.
    Poorer and uneducated people would probably still continue to breed at relatively high levels, which could generate social problems of its own as the volume of taxpayers stays relatively static while the volume of unemployment and benefits claimants increases.
    Economically this could work fine as the wealthier taxpayers generate more income (and therefore pay more tax) by selling stuff to the lower earners, but it could result in a very pronounced wealth gap as the middle classes slowly disappear until all you basically have are a tiny number of exceptionally wealthy earners and a massive group of very low wage earners.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Uh, conquering aging would lead to a progressive squeeze of public services and eventual complete collapse of the economy as everyone will be retired.

Advertisement