Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A la carte vs devout and treatement of atheists

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

From that link:
    846 How are we to understand this affirmation, often repeated by the Church Fathers?335 Re-formulated positively, it means that all salvation comes from Christ the Head through the Church which is his Body:

Basing itself on Scripture and Tradition, the Council teaches that the Church, a pilgrim now on earth, is necessary for salvation: the one Christ is the mediator and the way of salvation; he is present to us in his body which is the Church. He himself explicitly asserted the necessity of faith and Baptism, and thereby affirmed at the same time the necessity of the Church which men enter through Baptism as through a door. Hence they could not be saved who, knowing that the Catholic Church was founded as necessary by God through Christ, would refuse either to enter it or to remain in it.336
    847 This affirmation is not aimed at those who, through no fault of their own, do not know Christ and his Church:

Those who, through no fault of their own, do not know the Gospel of Christ or his Church, but who nevertheless seek God with a sincere heart, and, moved by grace, try in their actions to do his will as they know it through the dictates of their conscience - those too may achieve eternal salvation.337
    848 "Although in ways known to himself God can lead those who, through no fault of their own, are ignorant of the Gospel, to that faith without which it is impossible to please him, the Church still has the obligation and also the sacred right to evangelize all men."338

That part in bold dooms every atheist in this forum to hell so while technically if you don't know the church exists you might get in, for anyone in this country past the age of a few months/years it's irrelevant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

robindch wrote: »
    Certainly better than sorting out religious differences with swords, guns, bombs etc.

BTW, can't say I'm impressed with the charters of these religions, or their heavenly moderators either -- I wonder how many wars could have been prevented if the deity-du-jour had dropped by and carded or banned forum members for breaches of the peace or even just incivility.

Perhaps it's because the moderators don't exist and the charters are just invented for their own benefit.

So the Resurrestion was really just a case of a re-regged troll? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Daftendirekt

Sarky wrote: »
    So the Resurrestion was really just a case of a re-regged troll? :pac:

The earliest incarnation of facekicker, if I'm not mistaken.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Absolutely definitely not true, in authoritative Catholic teaching. Had you linked to the section of the Catechism which actually discusses this question, you would have found that the only people the Catholic church regards as excluded from heaven are those “who, knowing that the Catholic Church was founded as necessary by God through Christ, would refuse either to enter it or to remain in it”. And the Catechism explicitly affirms that non-Catholics, non-Christians and non-theists can indeed “achieve eternal salvation”. (So there’s hope for you yet! :)) Paras 846 and 847, if you're interested , and they are footnoted to other authorities if you want to dig into this further.

You are saying that the catholic position is that you have to be a catholic (be part of the catholic church) in order to get into heaven. But in order to be part of the catholic church, you need to believe in god. Therefore, you need to believe in god in order to get into heaven. Para 161 of the catechism:
    Believing in Jesus Christ and in the One who sent him for our salvation is necessary for obtaining that salvation. "Since "without faith it is impossible to please [God]" and to attain to the fellowship of his sons, therefore without faith no one has ever attained justification, nor will anyone obtain eternal life 'But he who endures to the end.'"
    I already mention the single exception that is explained in para 848, that of someone who is, in some way, ignorant of god or the church.
    Again, absolutely definitely not true, on an authority even more authoritative than the Catechism.

Why would the catechism (or the new testament piece you quoted) be an authority in Judaism?
    Hinduism doesn’t have gods?

I said "no heaven, or gods" :rolleyes:
    And, if you make a claim about “pretty much all religions everywhere”, I don’t think you can blame readers for thinking you’re making a general claim about religion.

I made a claim about belief in god that religions everywhere require to get into heaven. It obviously doesn't apply if a religion has no heaven, or no god, or both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Mistress 69

Hi to All and a slightly belated Happy New Year

Just an observation

Love The Bible, Nets Bible College, Catholic Statues Ireland and Prayers.... these adverts are on nearly all of the few pages of this thread I have viewed....

Anybody else perplexed :confused:

Mistress 69

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I keep getting ads for psychic readings. Have a giggle at them mostly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

lazygal wrote: »
    I keep getting ads for psychic readings. Have a giggle at them mostly.

Ive thought of getting my free reading for the laugh to some mailinator box.

Advertisement