Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 8 eating internet data?

Options
  • 30-12-2012 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Just got Windows 8 and I'm currently receiving Satelite broadband and I'm on a limit of 10GB therefore I have to be careful of how much I use, and I've noticed that Windows 8 is extensively using my limited data allowance. I've already turned off live tiles, and turned off automatic updates and I've set it as metered but is there any further ways that I could reduce the amount it uses? Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Offy

Cathal179 wrote: »
    Just got Windows 8 and I'm currently receiving Satelite broadband and I'm on a limit of 10GB therefore I have to be careful of how much I use, and I've noticed that Windows 8 is extensively using my limited data allowance. I've already turned off live tiles, and turned off automatic updates and I've set it as metered but is there any further ways that I could reduce the amount it uses? Thanks

Sorry but I cant answer your question! I can offer some historical data however. I worked in IT some years ago and I remember XP doing exactly the same thing when it was first released. I had to set-up a firewall to stop it. Perhaps that would work for you? I think if memory serves me that there was a free program called Zone Alert or perhaps Zone Alarm that did the job nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,498 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Install and run TcpView, it'll tell you what's actually using the data

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

Advertisement