Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road Kill(ers)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

A mutt ran out in front of a friend of mines car and she swerved to avoid it lost control flipped and landed upside down in a ditch totalling her car and broke nearly every bone in her senceless body.
    She was months in hospital.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

A mutt ran out in front of a friend of mines car and she swerved to avoid it lost control flipped and landed upside down in a ditch totalling her car and broke nearly every bone in her senceless body.
    She was months in hospital.
    Was the dog ok?? Sorry, but there'll be loads who really really want to know that. Joking aside, hope your friend recovered ok and yes, swerving can be a bad idea. I think this is more about people going out of their way to hit animals though, not hitting them when it's unavoidable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

My ex's mum was driving out of her driveway and there was a dead fox on the road, she carried on and went off to lunch.
    Came back an hour later and it was gone. She got out of the car and someone had put it in her bush!

She a redhead? what with the foxy bush an all:D:D:D:D

So much for resisting:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles-old

Blonde, she'd definitely get it as well!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Blonde, she'd definitely get it as well!

MILF alert, where's the pics???

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

If you're doing your driving test and an animal runs out in front of you you're supposed to run it over. Anything else could cause a crash.
    I barely missed a cat while doing my
    test. Had to reverse back and drive over it properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

there was a thread on this very subject about a month ago
    well it was about cats , and a poster stated that he does not swerve to avoid cats , i added i did not serve to avoid cats because it might cause a accident

you would swear we were talking about running over disabled kids the reaction it got - FFS i would hit a cat every time rather than poss cause a accident

some cat owners are truly a special bunch of fruit cake

you should not avoid animals on the road , by the letter of the law

unlucky squashed kitty indeed

dj jarvis wrote: »
    well it was about cats , and a poster stated that he does not swerve to avoid cats , i added i did not serve to avoid cats because it might cause a accident

you would swear we were talking about running over disabled kids the reaction it got - FFS i would hit a cat every time rather than poss cause a accident

How dare you point your Daewoo at my Pussy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

Pottler wrote: »
    How dare you point your Daewoo at my Pussy.

Ya just couldn't resist anymore, huh:D

• Advertisement

Ya just couldn't resist anymore, huh:D
    Everyone has their limits:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ITS_A_BADGER

I hit a badger myself, I was going about 30mph, 2 wheels went over him, it felt like I hit a speed ramp.

Turned around to see the damage I left behind and he was nowhere to be seen!

Now I am feared that there is a badger out there looking for revenge :(

So it was you! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

dj jarvis wrote: »

Yes, this. I own two cats and love them dearly like a crazy person should, but I would not swerve to avoid one if I was clearly going to hit it. I'd risk killing myself and everyone else in the car.

People don't seem to realise just how dangerous swerving a car going anything above walking pace is. Swering at anything above 50kph usually means either you or your car is fooooooked.

I don't know the ins and outs but I'm pretty sure the rule is you just have to keep going at the speed limit and run the thing over.

Same goes for truck license and cars, actually. If you're driving an artix or flatbed and you're going to hit the car, hit the car. You'll cause more damage by swerving.

tl;dr Cars are like badgers for trucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

gerrowadat wrote: »
    Same goes for truck license and cars, actually. If you're driving an artix or flatbed and you're going to hit the car, hit the car. You'll cause more damage by swerving.

tl;dr Cars are like badgers for trucks.

I'm going to take it that's a joke, and a poor one at that. Is it not better to swerve, maybe even jack knife a truck to avoid hitting some poor family in a car head on. I've driven a fairly small sized truck in Australia on crappy roads and have had to nearly sacrifice the truck on two occasions to avoid absolutely flattening cars, one of which I learned after had kids in it. Don't know how someone could be of this view.

I'm going to take it that's a joke, and a poor one at that. Is it not better to swerve, maybe even jack knife a truck to avoid hitting some poor family in a car head on. I've driven a fairly small sized truck in Australia on crappy roads and have had to nearly sacrifice the truck on two occasions to avoid absolutely flattening cars, one of which I learned after had kids in it. Don't know how someone could be of this view.
    I suppose it depends on the circumstances, swerving an artic on a quiet road is one thing, on a busy motorway is another, where avoiding one car will result in hitting about 20 others instead. Not a choice anyone would want to have to make.

Not a joke, it's part of the training for the truck licensing here.

Clearly if you're on a country road, where you have time to react and driving into a ditch to save a car full of people is an option, sure.

But, in most situations, flipping a truck over or jacknifing a truck above a certain size in a built-up area is a very bad idea indeed. People underestimate how much force is behind a truck when it's moving, and you could be avoiding a car to flatten a dozen pedestrians, or a small cafe or house.

Advertisement