Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you answer 'BLOCKED' numbers??

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Nope, never answer private numbers. If they're blocked, they have something to hide IMHO. If it's important - they can call back.

Why will you answer it the second time??

When I got my home phone installed eircom asked did I want to have my number in the phone book, I said no, not thinking my number would be coming up as blocked from now on.

Why exactly dont people answer them, who do you think it is going to be? I will answer blocked numbers, it normally someone like Sky, O2, etc, or a family member who are ex-directory.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Living up to your name, eh?

How did he thank with only 5 posts???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Yeh I do - cannot see the issue whatsoever. If it's something I dont wish to partake in I just say "I'd rather not thanks" and disconnect. It's not difficult.
    i dont answer the calls of half the peoples whos number I have let alone the blocked ones! i honest to god wish we could all go back to a time without mobiles, society still functioned quite fine
    You don't answer the phone just for the sake of it? What if someone needs to speak to you at that moment?
    Mobile phones are very beneficial devices.

Nope, never answer private numbers. If they're blocked, they have something to hide IMHO. If it's important - they can call back.

People turn off their numbers for genuine reasons and can forget to put them back on, why are you all so paranoid?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

Senna wrote: »
    Why will you answer it the second time??

If it rings again with a blocked number within a couple of minutes, then yeah.
    Senna wrote: »

Why exactly dont people answer them, who do you think it is going to be? I will answer blocked numbers, it normally someone like Sky, O2, etc, or a family member who are ex-directory.

Could be anyone - someone I don't like/don't want to talk to, solicitors, debt collectors etc. I don't want to talk to any of them. If it's the bank, chances are it's bad news - again, I don't want to talk to them. Simples.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

If I'm available to take the call, of course I'll answer it. It's just a phone-call!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Novella wrote: »
    If I'm available to take the call, of course I'll answer it. It's just a phone-call!

Tell that to the chick in The Ring!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

of course i answer them. if it's someone i dont want to talk to i will use a handy function that come with every phone, i hang up.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

Is it not just the same as answering an unidentified number?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

Budweiser truely is piss :(

lots of landlines comes up as private, so its probably your ma looking for you and not the viper looking for 20 bills ye owe me!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

why do a lot of elderly people call you??
    Because I'm great craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

No if a number is witheld or unknown I dont answer it. Have had too many stalkers in the past so learned not to answer if havent got a number to keep an eye on.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭notGill

My brother refuses to take his number off blocked for whatever reason, and my landline at home is also a private number.

So I would always answer blocked numbers because it's usually either home or my brother!

The only *valid* reason I have heard for blocking your number is when you were pranking someone.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

notGill wrote: »
    My brother refuses to take his number off blocked for whatever reason, and my landline at home is also a private number.

So I would always answer blocked numbers because it's usually either home or my brother!

The only *valid* reason I have heard for blocking your number is when you were pranking someone.....

I'll ring you and I promise it wont be on private number :p

Thats assuming you areGill and notGill :D

notGill wrote: »

I was calling o2 to talk about my mobile broadband but they kept assuming that the number I wanted to talk about was the number I was ringing from, so I had to turn my number on private so I could enter my mobile broadband number. I forgot to turn my number back on for a few days.

That's one valid reason, I'm sure there's more

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Madam_X wrote: »
    You don't answer the phone just for the sake of it? What if someone needs to speak to you at that moment?
    And jesus don't leave your phone behind you for a few hours while you go into town to buy a new jacket in the sales, you'll be in the doghouse with the overly suspicious female companion.

Last time I answered a blocked number I got heavy breathing, but they hung up when I asked how much they charged.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭mckenzie84

Yes, why not. It could be an emergency. If it's a prank call I have a little fun with them

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Never.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Simple for anyone to diall 142 before your number so they can have a blocked number displayed.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭augustus gloop

Madam_X wrote: »
    Yeh I do - cannot see the issue whatsoever. If it's something I dont wish to partake in I just say "I'd rather not thanks" and disconnect. It's not difficult.

honestly, if i think someone has a reason to call i will answer, if i think they are calling to pass the time i dont answer. I know this makes me sound very self important but i aint like that, someone calling to shoot the breeze is something i hate. i only make calls for specific reasons, when the issue is dealt with ill hang up faster than usain bolt

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭kodoherty93

No. As O2 generally texts you telling 086 whatever called.

They often text you what the blocked number was

No. As O2 generally texts you telling 086 whatever called.

They often text you what the blocked number was

They do?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Never. It's only ever recruitment agencies or someone trying to sell me something. I have enough to be doing in work without being polite to someone for the sake of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I dont understand people too scared to answer their phone. Big blubbery vaginas the lot of them.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Only if I am expecting someone who uses a blocked number to call me.

Otherwise I ignore them

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭fatherbuzcagney

i like getting calls from blocked numbers , i get a buzz out of trying to think who could it be , i hate when i miss a blocked number and they don't leave a message or ring back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

I'm less likely to answer an 01 number because if you live outside Dublin it's always a company.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭dvet

Well I'm a vet and if someone has a sick animal in the clinic being treated and I for whatever reason need to ring them from my mobile, I'll block the number. The reason being that there are CERTAIN people who, if they get a hold of your private mobile number, will absolutely torture you day and night for ever more,treating you like a 24/7 private helpline.

So if your sick dog is at the vets... Answer the blocked number!! Please :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Just for those of you on Android

Download the App 'Avast Mobile Security' (it's free)

When downloaded select 'SMS & Call Filter'

Add whatever numbers you want blocking, they will go straight to Voicemail, if you want Private Numbers blocking then choose 'All Hidden Numbers'

Ya can also chose what time's you want certain numbers blocking, or 24/7.

Blocks texts too :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Never answer blocked calls, I'd like to decide whether I want to take the call or not.

Same with anyone calling to my front door, I'd rather I know someone was going to call in, again so I have the choice of whether I want to see someone or have the time to.

Advertisement