Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is The Sunday World Just A Fanzine for Criminals?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

I think it is. It makes stars out of the sociopaths.

It is also one of the reasons people claim we have a "lawless" society when we live in onw of the safest countries on the planet.

It'll be whatever you want it to be (including toilet paper)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

mikemac1 wrote: »
    I see Gerry Hutch's limos around Ballyfermot all the time.

I used to think limos were for rich and successful people.

Now I know they are used by loud skangers
    Think Gerry is viewed as an ordinary decent criminal by them now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

The sunday worst is read by the same people who watch TV3 and think xposé is a quality news programme. It is a paper for the lowest common denominator.

The sunday worst is read by the same people who watch TV3 and think xposé is a quality news programme. It is a paper for the lowest common denominator.
    I think the Tallafornia cast of chavs are the biggest customers for the Hutches limosines but they have to pay for them themselves cause TV3 wont pony up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭JTMan

The frightening thing is that the Sunday World sells over 200,000 copies a week and it is the second largest selling newspaper in Ireland.

The good news is sales of this rag are down 8% year-on-year and sales are in terminal decline like the rest of the newspaper industry. Its owner IN&M is in well documented serious trouble. The Sunday World may only have a short life left.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

I wouldn't think they glorify crime because most of these stories always end the same with long prison sentences or a bullet to the head.

Fungus wrote: »
    The frightening thing is that the Sunday World sells over 200,000 copies a week and it is the second largest selling newspaper in Ireland.

The good news is sales of this rag are down 8% year-on-year and sales are in terminal decline like the rest of the newspaper industry. Its owner IN&M is in well documented serious trouble. The Sunday World may only have a short life left.
    Its still a massive circulation alongside the Sindo which pains me to say but they are quite admirable figures,think IN&M s problems were more their foreign investments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

There's no denying that this paper is a totally sensationalist rag. I also agree that the stupid nicknames are cringeworthy.

However, I agree with the poster who said that a lot of what is covered would go unreported by the rest of the Irish media - and I don't think that's right either.

Also, I am in the unfortunate position of knowing one of the crime families regularly covered by the paper pretty well - and I can tell you they HATE the Sunday World and Paul Williams. They certainly don't see it as them being glorified or bigged up.

I think Paul Williams wants to be a bigger celebrity than than the skangers he turns in to celebritys

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Why are all these guy's called Fat or Fatty something or other?It's all Fatty Thompson McFatty Fathead The Fat Don The Big Fat Penguin O,Fatface.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

darkdubh wrote: »
    Why are all these guy's called Fat or Fatty something or other?It's all Fatty Thompson McFatty Fathead The Fat Don The Big Fat Penguin O,Fatface.

The rise in criminal obesity?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

One of these days Paul Williams is going to hire someone to shoot him in the shoulder just so he seems more legitimate. I mean Veronica Guerin got seven shades of sh1t knocked out of her and was eventually shot dead. Paul Williams hasn't had so much as a snot flicked at him, there must be a lot he's missing because the criminals don't seem bothered about him at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Fungus wrote: »

Good riddance to the print media, especially the tabs when they go over the cliff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

Paul Williams used to live near me. One day I went down to the local shops and there he was getting out of his car which he had parked really badly, practically blocking the pavement. I really wanted to go up to him and say 'Mr Williams. That parking is absolutely criminal'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

I think it is. It makes stars out of the sociopaths.

It is also one of the reasons people claim we have a "lawless" society when we live in onw of the safest countries on the planet.

TBH, I feel we are living in an under reported crime society, they shoot journalists, don't they.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭The Dagda

Paul Williams doesn't write for the Sunday World anymore :confused:

The Dagda wrote: »
    Paul Williams doesn't write for the Sunday World anymore :confused:
    Why are you confused by that?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

The only thing worth reading in that rag since Houlihan died is Pub Spy.

The rest of the paper is a complete fúckload of mind polluting drivel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭The Dagda

tipptom wrote: »
    Why are you confused by that?

People, you included, keep mentioning him in this thread about the Sunday World.

Advertisement