Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Easy" DIY Destinations

Options
  • 28-12-2012 4:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭

Hi,

Last year I wanted a few days skiing so I got flights to Memmingen, then the direct train to Oberstdorf. It was all fairly cheap and easy.

I'm planning another trip now and will probably repeat this but was wondering if anyone has any alternative suggestions from Memmingen or another airport in western Europe? Really something that works in terms of transport links and is not too far from an airport. Maybe I won't beat Memmingen!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,939 ✭✭✭dzer2

Hi,

Last year I wanted a few days skiing so I got flights to Memmingen, then the direct train to Oberstdorf. It was all fairly cheap and easy.

I'm planning another trip now and will probably repeat this but was wondering if anyone has any alternative suggestions from Memmingen or another airport in western Europe? Really something that works in terms of transport links and is not too far from an airport. Maybe I won't beat Memmingen!

Munich or salzburg but again the price will be higher. We drive to Kitzbuhel from memmengen its about 2 1/2 hrs. There are loads of places on that route where you can ski. If possible try to go mid week and off season this works for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭theholyghost

My only problem with Memmingen is the flight back is Sunday not Monday, so, I'll only get three days I think and one of them a Saturday which makes me nervous.

Is Oberstdorf the best resort from Memmingen?

My only problem with Memmingen is the flight back is Sunday not Monday, so, I'll only get three days I think and one of them a Saturday which makes me nervous.

Is Oberstdorf the best resort from Memmingen?

Not sure maybe Garmisch they hold ski races and jumping there. We are going wed to wed it suits with work and all.

Took another look, Bergamo, Munich and Lyon would also be options to fly to Wed to Mon, giving 4 days skiing.

Any thoughts on where to go from these with reasonable transfers etc.?

Otherwise, I will stick to Memmingen (to Oberstdorf) Wed to Sun.

Thanks all!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

Turin - 60 minutes to the Aosta Valley

Geneva -Flaine 35 minutes

Chamonix 60 min

Munich - Garmisch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭TheoBane

You can always head to sierra Nevada in south spain, You can ski and look at the sea at the same time. They are getting good snow at the moment

Went ahead and booked Memmingen so I will probably play it safe with Oberstdorf as its a short trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

we went from memmingen one year to soll (Before you say pah! soll is crap!)

it had pretty good night skiing the plane from memmingen got in early we drove a hire car to soll and were skiing that evening

Felt like an extra day skiing!

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭coddlesangers

you can *easily* be skiing the same day by landing in geneva and either going up to the Jura or down to the Grand Massif. Samoens, Morillion Les Clusaz or Flaine. Aer Lingus runs every day flights to geneva that leave at 06:50, you are in early enough to certainly get a half day in the the day you arrive. (2-3 hours of skiing)

some places (e.g. Saalbach) have night skiing ('til 930 pm - all the way to top of mountain too albeit only on 2 runs) included on the skipass free so something to take account of if you're desperate to ski on the first day....

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the tips, Im playing it safe with Oberstdorf. If by magic I get to go again in March/April I'll try somewhere else...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Dr Nic

Whats the connection from Memmingem to Obertsdorf?
    Are there any other 'easy' options from that airport?

There's a direct train from Memmingen to the centre of Oberstdorf, it takes an hour or so. You just have to get a taxi share to the train station with your fellow Ryanair-ers.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭epopnomis

Or take the bus for 3 euro each... The bayern ticket is also a great way to save some cash, it allows up to 5 people to travel under one ticket and I think it costs around 28 quid or there abouts... Great value, when are you planning on going to oberstdorf?

Going Feb 20th.

No bus there lasw year. No taxis either so we all had to wait ten mins and then shared taxis.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 jonegan

We did memmingen oberstdorf last year, very easy transfer, decent skiing and good value. We're flying to memmingen again this year and getting the train to schruns in austria (resort area is montafon). Train transfer is 2.5 hours from memmingen to schruns ( station in resort ), only one change , about 40 euro one way. Montafon has 217 km of skiing so its much bigger than oberstdorf /kleinwalsertal, and it has a very good snow record. We're going from 13-20 march so that rules out a lot of lower less snow sure austrian resorts. Memmingen flights are difficult to beat for value. Ive been to Garmisch via Munich before and its very convenient , but offers a very limited range of skiing. It claims to be the biggest resort in Germany , but I think this is somewhat misleading - Oberstdorf on its own is smaller/similar but in conjunction with Kleinwalsertal its much bigger than garmisch

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭bazzer86

jonegan wrote: »
    We did memmingen oberstdorf last year, very easy transfer, decent skiing and good value. We're flying to memmingen again this year and getting the train to schruns in austria (resort area is montafon). Train transfer is 2.5 hours from memmingen to schruns ( station in resort ), only one change , about 40 euro one way. Montafon has 217 km of skiing so its much bigger than oberstdorf /kleinwalsertal, and it has a very good snow record. We're going from 13-20 march so that rules out a lot of lower less snow sure austrian resorts. Memmingen flights are difficult to beat for value. Ive been to Garmisch via Munich before and its very convenient , but offers a very limited range of skiing. It claims to be the biggest resort in Germany , but I think this is somewhat misleading - Oberstdorf on its own is smaller/similar but in conjunction with Kleinwalsertal its much bigger than garmisch

Hey, just wondering can you share you experinence of your ski trip this year, specifically the transfer form Munich, the resort itself, accommodation and value for money. Looking into skiing this year and doing a DIY from Munich. Dont know where to start really so any help would be appreciated

bazzer86:

I love Garmisch, if the snow is good it is a great resort but it is low and the bottom of the resort is prone to poor conditions. Great skiing though and steep as hell in parts. There is enough to keep most skiers entertained for 4-5 days and its a nice village. Small and quite but nice.

For Accommodation look at this place really cool old school guest house 10 min drive to the hill every day but worth it €30 a night when we went last year! There is even a gondola up to it its really unique

http://www.forsthaus-graseck.de/

Transfers are an easy 70-90 minute drive from Munich airport, with car hire, there is a train option available.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 jonegan

Hi Bazzer 86,
    Montafon was a great option from Memmingen ( I see you refer to Munich - Ryanair do call Memmingen airport " Munich West", but that is misleading, its over an hour directly west of Munich itself, so best used to access destinations further west in Austria and Germany than "Munich Airport" itself).
    I loved Oberstdorf the year before. This year we went to Schruns in Montafon - as I said in my previous post it has significantly more skiing divided over 2 main areas (as opposed to 5), 217 versus 142 km. It is also about 40 mins further by train. The skiing is fantastic , and the area has a very good snow record. You are very close geographically to some much more expensive and famous ski resports such as Lech and St Anton.
    There would be very little to differentiate between Oberstdorf town and Schruns town - they are both very quiet. Schruns is definitely a fraction more expensive, possibly because it is only a few km from Switzerland and attracts a lot of skiers from there.It is broadly a similar price for eating out and mountain restaurants as other Austrian resorts. There are no english speaking skiers - we were a big novelty all week, especially in the local "Irish Pub" on Paddys night - we were bought drinks by the locals , they were so delighted to have actual Irish people there that night! The hotel we stayed in (Hotel Taube) was 75 euro for double room half board which was great value, we were staying in Ernest Hemingways old room ! ( He spent 3 winters in Schruns in the 1920s , theres even a chapter of his book "A Moveable Feast" describing the hotel and his skiing exploits).
    In short, Schruns/Montafon has better skiing than Oberstdorf, is further from Memmingen, and is very slightly more expensive.
    Fattes is correct about Garmisch - I also did a DIY ski holiday to there from Munich proper, it is a fantastic spot, and very convenient ,but has a much smaller extent and poorer snow record than Schruns or Montafon. I think its perfect for a trip of 2-3 days. Gasthof Fraundorfer there is the best ski hotel I ever stayed in.

Fattes wrote: »
    bazzer86:

I love Garmisch, if the snow is good it is a great resort but it is low and the bottom of the resort is prone to poor conditions. Great skiing though and steep as hell in parts. There is enough to keep most skiers entertained for 4-5 days and its a nice village. Small and quite but nice.

For Accommodation look at this place really cool old school guest house 10 min drive to the hill every day but worth it €30 a night when we went last year! There is even a gondola up to it its really unique

http://www.forsthaus-graseck.de/

Transfers are an easy 70-90 minute drive from Munich airport, with car hire, there is a train option available.

Hey Fattes, thanks for that. It looks like a really good option. There are more beginners than regular skiers so could be an ideal one...

• Advertisement

jonegan wrote: »
    Hi Bazzer 86,
    Montafon was a great option from Memmingen ( I see you refer to Munich - Ryanair do call Memmingen airport " Munich West", but that is misleading, its over an hour directly west of Munich itself, so best used to access destinations further west in Austria and Germany than "Munich Airport" itself).
    I loved Oberstdorf the year before. This year we went to Schruns in Montafon - as I said in my previous post it has significantly more skiing divided over 2 main areas (as opposed to 5), 217 versus 142 km. It is also about 40 mins further by train. The skiing is fantastic , and the area has a very good snow record. You are very close geographically to some much more expensive and famous ski resports such as Lech and St Anton.
    There would be very little to differentiate between Oberstdorf town and Schruns town - they are both very quiet. Schruns is definitely a fraction more expensive, possibly because it is only a few km from Switzerland and attracts a lot of skiers from there.It is broadly a similar price for eating out and mountain restaurants as other Austrian resorts. There are no english speaking skiers - we were a big novelty all week, especially in the local "Irish Pub" on Paddys night - we were bought drinks by the locals , they were so delighted to have actual Irish people there that night! The hotel we stayed in (Hotel Taube) was 75 euro for double room half board which was great value, we were staying in Ernest Hemingways old room ! ( He spent 3 winters in Schruns in the 1920s , theres even a chapter of his book "A Moveable Feast" describing the hotel and his skiing exploits).
    In short, Schruns/Montafon has better skiing than Oberstdorf, is further from Memmingen, and is very slightly more expensive.
    Fattes is correct about Garmisch - I also did a DIY ski holiday to there from Munich proper, it is a fantastic spot, and very convenient ,but has a much smaller extent and poorer snow record than Schruns or Montafon. I think its perfect for a trip of 2-3 days. Gasthof Fraundorfer there is the best ski hotel I ever stayed in.

Hey Jonegan, thanks for the interesting and informative reply haha...

OK, must look into the resorts you mentioned...will Definately look into them. We are looking for a bit of nightlife too though, would you reckon those places are suitable?

A few of my friends are going to Mayrhofen, but I cant commit to that so have to look around...

As I said previously, there are beginners too so I have to try and strike a balance between skiers and beginners... have been looking at jasna too in slovakia... doesnt look bad...

bazzer86 wrote: »
    Hey Jonegan, thanks for the interesting and informative reply haha...

OK, must look into the resorts you mentioned...will Definately look into them. We are looking for a bit of nightlife too though, would you reckon those places are suitable?

A few of my friends are going to Mayrhofen, but I cant commit to that so have to look around...

As I said previously, there are beginners too so I have to try and strike a balance between skiers and beginners... have been looking at jasna too in slovakia... doesnt look bad...

KItzbuhel about 2 hrs from Munich and can be done by train also better night life great skiing for all abilities and if you get the bigger ski pass you can ski over to your mates.

There are more beginners than regular skiers so could be an ideal one...

The will be well served at the top of Garmisch, they may not ski all the way down though as the bottom is steep and I mean scary steep! I had a 10-15 meter flight of a roler there! Needed new underwear after!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭fannymagee

Feb 20th, DIY, easy transfer from Munich, good nightlife and a range of skiing abilities- have you looked at Soll?

Are Lingus fly to Munich twice daily, and if you're looking for a Monday flight it'll be cheaper- and evening flight is 8pm so you get the extra day's skiing in too ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Donie75

We do the 7am flight Dublin to Munich on a Friday. Then arrange our own transfer so the minibus is waiting outside. Have done Kirchberg and Mayrhofen this way. In resort by 1 or 2 on Friday so ski for a few hours. Then have 3 full days skiing and half day Tuesday. Then get the 8pm flight home on Tuesday night. Flights around €160, transfer around €60 and accom is up to yourself.
    It works well for a lot of our gang who have kids so they are only away for 4 nights.

To reanimate this thread!

Any thoughts on destinations for say 3 days on the slopes that have a bit of life/craic in them? I've done Oberstdorf a few times and it is handy but I'd like to go somewhere with more Irish people especially other Irish in the ski schools etc.? Oberstdorf is a bit dull.

To reanimate this thread!

Any thoughts on destinations for say 3 days on the slopes that have a bit of life/craic in them? I've done Oberstdorf a few times and it is handy but I'd like to go somewhere with more Irish people especially other Irish in the ski schools etc.? Oberstdorf is a bit dull.

Well theholyghost, I'm going to be nice and consistent and recommend Soll! If it's plenty of Irish people you want, and a bit of craic I say look no further! :-) When are you thinking?

fannymagee wrote: »
    Well theholyghost, I'm going to be nice and consistent and recommend Soll! If it's plenty of Irish people you want, and a bit of craic I say look no further! :-) When are you thinking?

Ah come on you are going to upset the BOSS again.:D:D:D

dzer2 wrote: »
    Ah come on you are going to upset the BOSS again.:D:D:D

Dzer I take my life in my hands every time!! Lol :D:rolleyes:

Did you get everything sorted for your trip?!

• Advertisement

fannymagee wrote: »
    Dzer I take my life in my hands every time!! Lol :D:rolleyes:

Did you get everything sorted for your trip?!

Ah no some one booked a few nights away as a surprise last week wrecking my plans so looking around still
    Is there a block of apartments in Soll as there is another family looking at coming with us.

Advertisement