Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dublin zoo appreciation thread.

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Now that we have a young lad, he loves the zoo. It has changed a lot since the 80's and 90's when we visited as kids. The African Plains is very good, so too is the elephant talk/feeding. However, they could do with modernising the "old" part of the zoo. A lot of empty cages there. Miss the polar bear like a few had mentioned, however the poor thing just walked over and back contantly, he must have been seriously not right in the head!
    The Zoo TV program is great, it shows how much passion and dedication the zoo workers have.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭davetherave

Gummy Panda better not see this thread or he's sure to be upset at the amount of people who don't like pandas.
    It is a long time since dublin zoo had a gorilla sitting in a jail cell sized area in the reptile house. It's all about preservation and conservation nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Paddycrumlinman

I’m not a fan of Zoo’s. Been to many all over the world. Zoo’s make me very sad when I’m there. I look at the animals and they look so fooking sad. Especially the Chimps / Gorillas. I remember being in Dublin Zoo about 20 years ago. There was these two Hippos’ in this tiny pool in which they could hardly fit. All these people staring and ogling towards these animals is very sad indeed.

We as humans have no right was so ever to imprison any animals in a zoo. Nature has a funny way of balancing life out. It could happen tomorrow, or be it a 1000 years from now, what if some other species of life (more intelligent than humans, not hard tbh) out there decides to visit earth and make us humans their pets or zoo features for their people to snigger at and visit at a human zoo, would not be nice at all would it? You being stuck in a cage because you have red hair. “Red Haired Human” Come see it…. Along with the other humans in a Zoo.

Humans treat this world and animals with such bad taste its disgraceful.

Have a good day folks.

PS Nothing against red hair folks at all. I wanted to clear that up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

I’m not a fan of Zoo’s. Been to many all over the world. Zoo’s make me very sad when I’m there. I look at the animals and they look so fooking sad. Especially the Chimps / Gorillas. I remember being in Dublin Zoo about 20 years ago. There was these two Hippos’ in this tiny pool in which they could hardly fit. All these people staring and ogling towards these animals is very sad indeed.

We as humans have no right was so ever to imprison any animals in a zoo. Nature has a funny way of balancing life out. It could happen tomorrow, or be it a 1000 years from now, what if some other species of life (more intelligent than humans, not hard tbh) out there decides to visit earth and make us humans their pets or zoo features for their people to snigger at and visit at a human zoo, would not be nice at all would it? You being stuck in a cage because you have red hair. “Red Haired Human” Come see it…. Along with the other humans in a Zoo.

Have a good day folks.

In fairness, it bares no relation to what it was 20 years ago and many posters have stated that here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I hold a special affinity with zoos, particularly San Diego zoo. Mainly due to the fact that I did a live broadcast on it's most famous panda giving birth in the late 70's. It re-ignited my career, and I went on to be the co-anchor of Global News.

Thank you San Diego zoo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

I hold a special affinity with zoos, particularly San Diego zoo. Mainly due to the fact that I did a live broadcast on it's most famous panda giving birth in the late 70's. It re-ignited my career, and I went on to be the co-anchor of Global News.

Thank you San Diego zoo

Stay Classy.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Last zoo I was in was London and it was very disappointing & depressing. For what is quite possibly the richest city in the world; the conditions there are atrocious. Horrible dull place.

I've also been to Toronto Zoo.. it's fantastic and absolutely massive. You'd need to visit a few times just to see everything.

Haven't been to the one in Dublin for years.. must take a trip down soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Have a good day folks.

What about endangered ones? Better being protected in a preserve or zoo than out there being killed by poachers or going extinct, zoos do a lot of good work in that regard.

if you havent been in 20 years its a much different place now

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Paddycrumlinman

krudler wrote: »
    What about endangered ones? Better being protected in a preserve or zoo than out there being killed by poachers or going extinct, zoos do a lot of good work in that regard.

if you havent been in 20 years its a much different place now

Yes, I'm all for protecting the endangered species. What pi$$es me of is the fact that they are endangered to begin with. Can we as humans not tackle the problem of raping the earth of its beautiful animals so they are not endangered?

Help the endangered species yes, however, no fooking cages, a wild life park something other than a small enclosure with cages and bars. Get rid of the prison element.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

RATM wrote: »
    I don't agree with the OP that Dublin Zoo is the BEST in the world.

I didn't say it was either, I've not been to every zoo on the planet, and as such could never make a statement like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

RATM wrote: »
    Also they had pandas back in the 1980's and part of the 1990's but now they don't- another big fail IMO.

From what I've heard - if a zoo gets a panda, they have to pay rent or whatever to the Chinese government. Is the only way that pandas are allowed to be viewed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Smidge wrote: »
    Does anyone remember the crocodile/alligator that they had years ago in Dublin zoo?
    It was in a tiny(for the size of the animal)tank in what is now the Aviary House(I think that's what its called now)

So I gather no one remembers this so?

I have a vivid memory of it as a child and I'm surprised no one else recalls it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Yes, I'm all for protecting the endangered species. What pi$$es me of is the fact that they are endangered to begin with. Can we as humans not tackle the problem of raping the earth of its beautiful animals so they are not endangered?

Help the endangered species yes, however, no fooking cages, a wild life park something other than a small enclosure with cages and bars. Get rid of the prison element.
    I don't think any of the enclosures in Dublin Zoo have bars anymore.

The majority of the enclosures are absolutely gorgeous. I go to the zoo at every opportunity now, the work they're doing is great.

Pandas suck and as awesome as polar bears are I'm glad the poor thing is gone (he went to Hungary for rehab iirc, he really did go mad in that horrible enclosure)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

phasers wrote: »
    I don't think any of the enclosures in Dublin Zoo have bars anymore.

The majority of the enclosures are absolutely gorgeous. I go to the zoo at every opportunity now, the work they're doing is great.

Pandas suck and as awesome as polar bears are I'm glad the poor thing is gone (he went to Hungary for rehab iirc, he really did go mad in that horrible enclosure)

I remember that polar bear just pacing, going from one foot to the other.
    Was awful to see:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Is the Singapore Zoo a few posters have mentioned the "Night safari" thing?? Awful place

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭gabsdot40

Dublin zoo is great. We've been members for years and go very regularly with the kids. Its improving all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,976 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Shur With all those nature channels, we hardly need Zoos.

Especially now that you can actually see Dublin Zoo on one of them :D

Like many have mentioned my memories are of a dark,dreary, dirty place in the 80's, the Polar Bear enclosure was just horrible.

I'm not sure what other Bears they were, but there were a few, and my main memory of back then is them playing football with a crow, the crow was alive at the start, but after countless hand passes it died. I found it amazing that an animal with freedom was caught and maimed by the prisoners.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

My favourites are the red pandas who go round and round their frame, running into one another as if tuned into a different planet.. so cuddly.

Advertisement