Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung 250GB SSD on Amazon Lightening deal - Ends 15:45 - £109 / €137

Options
  • 26-12-2012 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭

Only £109 on Amazon here with Free delivery. Really cheap for a 250GB SSD :D

EDIT: The deal is back today (28/Dec) at 11:39am - They haven't listed the deal price, but I'm betting it'll be the same as the one on the 26th (below) Deal is now active, still 75% unclaimed and running until about 15:45

That's €134.37 with free delivery and Irish VAT at the checkout.

310ykn7fOHL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

That's an amazing price. Trying to decide if I can afford it...

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭chris1970

plus free download for PC
    Free download of Assassins Creed 3
    Buy a qualifying Samsung SSD before December 31, from Amazon.co.uk and claim one free download of Assassins Creed. To claim, visit www.samsung.com/uk/assassinscreed3/ (external website). Check out all qualifying products for this offer. Terms and conditions apply.
    › See more product promotions

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

awesome, ordered one on the spot, thanks. :)
    chris1970 wrote: »
    plus free download for PC
    Free download of Assassins Creed 3
    Buy a qualifying Samsung SSD before December 31, from Amazon.co.uk and claim one free download of Assassins Creed. To claim, visit www.samsung.com/uk/assassinscreed3/ (external website). Check out all qualifying products for this offer. Terms and conditions apply.
    › See more product promotions
    even better! :D

just as an FYI for anyone looking to make the purchase (taken from one of the reviews):
    If you upgrading your SSD and already have either a 830 or SSD of similar performance consider moving up to at least the Samsung 840 series PRO to make it worth while.

The performance of the 256GB models is below so you can compare. (IOPS = In out Operations per Second)

Samsung 830 SSD | Read 520MB/s (IOPS 80k) Write 400MB/s (IOPS 36k)

Samsung 840 SSD | Read 540MB/s (IOPS 96k) Write 250MB/s (IOPS 62k)

Samsung 840 PRO SSD | Read 540 MB/s (IOPS 100k) Write 520MB/s (IOPS 90k)

As you can see the 840 has a much slower write speed; this is due to it using TLC NAND. The write speeds for the standard 840 is still adequate so is a great choice versus the cheaper 830s if you want a slightly higher read speed. If you do however require to be able to write a large amount of data on your SSD drive and you don't want to spend the extra money for the pro the 830 would be a much better choice giving all around great read and write speeds.
    that's not to say not to buy it, it's still a good solid buy at that price, but it's not going to be the fastest SSD money can buy right at this very second due to the reasons above. no reason not go pull the trigger though, just so everyone knows the full story on them.

i'd actually be interested to know what sort of effect the IOPS versus the advertised read/write speeds would have if anyone knows what sort of real world difference to expect (if any)?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

• Advertisement

Different size

the pixmania one is 128gb, the amazon one is 250gb. it's a slightly different drive model as well, that's the pro, this one isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭D_D

It's coming up as £139 for me? £20 off. Would go for it at £109, not £139.

Am I doing something wrong?

you have to make the purchase and they give you the £30 discount as a gift certificate at the checkout just before you pay.

just filled out the form for the assassins creed 3 download and it says it'll take about 7 days for them to check it and confirm the download.

still not bad for a freebie that i wasn't expecting. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Got one of these from komplett before xmas 177

Pretty decent HD tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭D_D

Anyone know if there are any issues with this going in an early 2011 MacBook Pro?

D_D wrote: »
    Anyone know if there are any issues with this going in an early 2011 MacBook Pro?
    should be grand although from what i understand all 3rd party SSDs in Mac's require a Terminal CMD or TrimEnabler App to enable TRIM has OS X doesn't turn this on by default.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Tea2

vibe666 wrote: »
    just filled out the form for the assassins creed 3 download and it says it'll take about 7 days for them to check it and confirm the download.

I read on the site that the promo is for UK purchasers. Did you just use your Irish address/invoice? Don't want to miss out on this deal if I can avoid it.

i just bought it on amazon.co.uk so it's UK purchase as far as I'm concerned. :)

if you really really want to avoid any potential problems, maybe use parcel motel in the UK as the delivery address, but i doubt they'll be quibbling over a free download after spending 100 quid on a hard drive (although you never know).

aside from anything, if they try and wriggle out of it i'll probably just download a torrent of it anyway just so i can say they're encouraging their loyal paying customers to pirate software. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Xzen

vibe666 wrote: »
    but i doubt they'll be quibbling over a free download after spending 100 quid on a hard drive (although you never know).

From what a few friends say about the game, Ubisoft'd have to give it away for free :D

interestingly enough, pixmania actually have a limited time special offer on the same samsung 840 250gb ssd as well, but it's not anything to blow your skirt up at £132 (plus delivery). http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/12891171/art/samsung/ssd-840-series-basic-2-5.html

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Damb got the faster 830 one but that doesn't qualify for the game

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Xzen

Damb got the faster 830 one but that doesn't qualify for the game

Not to worry, the 840 deal is back again today :)

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭johnwd

Thanks very much OP and last poster - just picked one up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

thanks OP, just ordered one for my macbook

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭B0X

Thanks Xzen. Ordered one there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭Ardent

Thanks OP. Ordered one too. I hate Bargain Alerts sometimes!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

ah for feck sake :p i bought it just after it went back to full price the first day¬!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Ronan H

Boom. Done!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

bought one of these for my HTPC and it dispatched today. I also own a 256gb 830 on my main PC. if anyone wants some kind of comparison I'll keep you updated.

Shlippery wrote: »
    ah for feck sake :p i bought it just after it went back to full price the first day¬!
    you can usually argue the price with amazon customer services when that happens. i've done it before on an appletv when the price went up before i ordered and then came back down again a day or so later and they refunded me the difference with no quibbles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Yea, I tried to cancel it then re-order it, however that didn't work..so sent them a cheeky e-mail. Hopefully they'll be nice, they've always been known for their good customer service.

EDIT:

"Hello,

I understand that you have ordered the item "Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5 inch SATA Solid State Drive" from the order #026-3551430-7602761 for 143.48 GBP and now it is available for 109.99 GBP which is 182.39 EUROS.

We recognise that you have a choice of retailers and appreciate that you prefer to order from us. Please note that we don’t extend a post-order price guarantee.

I've looked at your order and can see that the price change was significant and you just ordered this item from us.

Under the circumstances, I'm happy to make a one-time exception for you and issue a refund for the price difference in the amount of 33.49 GBP."

Well, that was nice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Ronan H

cheeky e-mail

Cheeky Email win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Yea, I tried to cancel it then re-order it, however that didn't work..so sent them a cheeky e-mail. Hopefully they'll be nice, they've always been known for their good customer service.

EDIT:

"Hello,

I understand that you have ordered the item "Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5 inch SATA Solid State Drive" from the order #026-3551430-7602761 for 143.48 GBP and now it is available for 109.99 GBP which is 182.39 EUROS.

We recognise that you have a choice of retailers and appreciate that you prefer to order from us. Please note that we don’t extend a post-order price guarantee.

I've looked at your order and can see that the price change was significant and you just ordered this item from us.

Under the circumstances, I'm happy to make a one-time exception for you and issue a refund for the price difference in the amount of 33.49 GBP."

I also did the same before, amazon are awesome that way.

Advertisement