Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shocking Homophobic/disabled attack on Dublin to Belfast train

Options
  • 25-12-2012 6:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

This horrific incident happened last Saturday night on the Dublin to Belfast train at 10.30pm. The victim who is my younger brother, was attacked and beaten by four thugs in their 40´s. The PSNI are taking the matter very seriously and are confident they will catch these individuals. Not alone was the victim traveling alone, he is gay and has a mental disability and is on state disability. He is a very gentle and vulnerable person and in hindsight should probably not have been travelling on his own at that hour. To think that four grown men could do this to someone like this is very disturbing. These men have to be brought to justice.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/1224/1224328152804.html

http://www.u.tv/News/Homophobic-attack-on-city-commuter-train/838f0a22-3980-47bb-a190-a04abd62a9b0

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

They stole his stuff too? What utter scumbags. I hope your brother is okay, must have been terrifying.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭azul

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    They stole his stuff too? What utter scumbags. I hope your brother is okay, must have been terrifying.
    He´s in total shock, I´ve heard something like this takes months to get over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭ArtyM

I sincerely hope your Brother recovers from this, and that those who were involved are identified and brought to justice.
    I am upset reading this, I cant imagine how he must feel, having experienced it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

OP, just out of curiosity, how did they know he was gay?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

That's totally sick, attacking a vulnerable person...and people, witnessing the incident and not intervening :mad:

• Advertisement

Ghandee wrote: »
    The opened his laptop when he was at the WC and found a gay forum he was looking at. Harmless content. The police have no interest in the content in his computer, it has no relevance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭MyBrokenKnees

Ghandee wrote: »

Read the link attached it is all explained in the newspaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

It said in one of the articles that they could see he was on a gay dating website.

Such a horrible aggression OP, I sincerely hope your brother will recover.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Groups of men in their 40's acting like lawless schoolchildren.. fcuking depressing stuff. Hope they're caught soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

Occasionally, there is someone who says that a crime is a crime and that we shouldn't create a unique class for hate crimes, but what happened to your brother is the reason why we do uniquely identify hate crimes. I am sorry for your brother's pain and I hope they throw the book at the bastards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Off with their heads. I was attacked in public before and I was terrified to go outside for weeks. Still the fear is with me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Lars1916 wrote: »
    people, witnessing the incident and not intervening :mad:

Four 9 stone nothing skangers is a lot different from 4 fully grown men. These were in their 40's

People didn't intervene but I don't blame them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭Red About Town

Occasionally, there is someone who says that a crime is a crime and that we shouldn't create a unique class for hate crimes, but what happened to your brother is the reason why we do uniquely identify hate crimes. I am sorry for your brother's pain and I hope they throw the book at the bastards.

Unfortunately 'throwing the book' at criminals doesn't happen enough here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 510 ✭✭✭LivelineDipso

They wanted to have sex with your brother. Homophobic attacks are about nothing else. Drink brings out their inner homosexual.

Unfortunately 'throwing the book' at criminals doesn't happen enough here.

Under which jurisdiction does the case fall? Ireland or the UK?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Sure everyone knows those Nordies are famous for their tolerance of all mankind.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I doubt it was a homophobic attack since they were at his stuff before they knew he was gay which suggests they were up to no good from the get go. Don't get me wrong though they are absolute scum. Hope yous get justice and your brother is alright.

Edit- maybe it was what do i know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

Under which jurisdiction does the case fall? Ireland or the UK?

The UK of course!

The UK of course!

Heck if I would know. There could be special laws in place for crimes committed on trains that go across international borders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Sure everyone knows those Nordies are famous for their tolerance of all mankind.

What, all of us?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

I'm very sorry Azul at what happened to your brother. I know what it feels like to have a family member with ' vulnerability'.
    I'm so fcuking angry after reading your brothers case, please pass on my sincere sentiments if thats possible.

Remember for every one of those fcuking scum, theres thousands of us. Mind your brother.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭jenniferalan

Im very sorry that your brother op. I sincerely hope those sick individuals are sent down for what they have done

Thespoofer wrote: »
    I'm very sorry Azul at what happened to your brother. I know what it feels like to have a family member with ' vulnerability'.
    I'm so fcuking angry after reading your brothers case, please pass on my sincere sentiments if thats possible.

Remember for every one of those fcuking scum, theres thousands of us. Mind your brother.
    Thanks Thespoofer, I´ll pass on your words of support to my brother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Funny how these ''hardmen'' pick and choose their victims, if they're so straight why are they spending their leisure time chasing gays around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

The f:/heads who did this should be taken out and shot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Max Power

They wanted to have sex with your brother. Homophobic attacks are about nothing else. Drink brings out their inner homosexual.
    Shut up FFS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

That's an absolutely awful incident and I hope your brother recovers soon!

The Dublin-Belfast train seems to get attacked every now and again too.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0713/north.html

This kind of thing would just put you off going to the North altogether, especially on an unsupervised train that stops in really rough places.

Also, that recent homophobic incident has now gone world-wide and you can be sure that it'll cost Northern Ireland and probably the Republic (because people don't always distinguish the two as they're both just "Ireland" in a lot of heads) lots of tourism spending as gay people cancel trips, decide to locate events or business meetings in other places etc etc.

I mean, if you were booking an event and could pick say Manchester or Belfast, after hearing something like that or about the riots in the city centre, you're hardly going to think twice about picking Manchester.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Shut up FFS.

As silly as that poster made it sound; there is actually research to suggest that those who engage in violence fueled by 'homophobia' are in fact uncomfortable with their own sexuality rather than their target's.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/29/opinion/sunday/homophobic-maybe-youre-gay.html?_r=0

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Azul I really hope your brother will be ok. They saw your brother as an easy target but for witnesses to stand idly by is incomprehensible. I don't care what anyone says there would have been more than 4 other passengers on the train at that time who could have done something but didn't. Please give your brother my best wishes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

KKkitty wrote: »
    Azul I really hope your brother will be ok. They saw your brother as an easy target but for witnesses to stand idly by is incomprehensible. I don't care what anyone says there would have been more than 4 other passengers on the train at that time who could have done something but didn't. Please give your brother my best wishes.

And what do you think people should have done when faced with a group of scumbags? I probably would have said something but would have been petrified of becoming a target myself, which is exactly what happened last time I intervened in such an incident. What would you have done, exactly? Taken on a group of men? :rolleyes:

Advertisement