Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what was the star of Bethlehem

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

• Registered Users Posts: 22,239 ✭✭✭✭endacl

It was a bright light in the sky, placed there by whoever wrote the story. Scenery, if you like. Moved the plot forward in that it gave the three wise characters an impetus to travel to where the baby character was. In the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭ZeRoY

I've always read the 3 kings are the belt of Orion and it points to Sirius... on the morning of 25th december this alignement points right at the Sun rising. 25th of December also is the time when the sun starts getting up "earlier" after the 3 days past the Winter's soltice ... So there you have it, the death, 3 days, 3 kings and a bright star then the resurrection. Its been used as base for dozens of religions in history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

It was a UFO

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ps200306

2 stroke wrote: »

Reads like a bad Dan Brown novel, and bad astronomy as well! :D

What does it mean that Sirius "aligns with" Orion's belt. They're not called the "fixed stars" for nothing -- Sirius doesn't move relative to Orion's belt or any other stars, and it's not in a straight line with the belt. Even if you could make some sort of line with them, that line rotates through the night, so you could pick anywhere you want it to point at some particular time.

Virgo doesn't rise at "ten o'clock until dawn" (whatever that even means). Spica (α-Vir) doesn't rise until nearly three o'clock in the morning and is only crossing the meridian by sunrise. The article doesn't make sense even by its own definition -- if the sun is in Virgo in August/September than Virgo is most prominent at opposition in February/March. (It's now a month later again, due to precession of the equinoxes).

The Sun doesn't "hang on the southern cross" in December. The Southern Cross is about as far from the ecliptic as you can get, so the sun never goes next nor near it in December, or any other time of year.

I've never heard of Orion's belt being called "the three kings". But the bible apparently doesn't mention three kings anyway -- they are referred to as "wise men", and no number is given. While we're at it, the homophonic play on "sun god" and "son of god" only works in English ... invented more than a thousand years after the events allegedly described. Christmas wasn't originally on December 25th -- the earliest known date for it is January 6th, and that's still the date in some eastern churches. Early Christianity probably intentionally co-opted the solstice festival much later.

The whole thing sounds like a bad script for a Discovery Channel "documentary".
    Oh wait ...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭Best username ever

zenno wrote: »
    It was a UFO

It was ;)

"The Baptism of Christ", painted in 1710 by Aert De Gelder

aert%20of%20gelden.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭Glebee

For some reason I've a memory of hearing Orions Belt referred to as "the road to Bethlehem". No idea where I heard this and can't find any online reference. Maybe I dreamed it up myself.

ps200306 wrote: »
    What does it mean that Sirius "aligns with" Orion's belt. They're not called the "fixed stars" for nothing -- Sirius doesn't move relative to Orion's belt or any other stars, and it's not in a straight line with the belt. Even if you could make some sort of line with them, that line rotates through the night, so you could pick anywhere you want it to point at some particular time.

Its a rough alignment, we are talking 2500+ years ago, and even now, you can see it roughly aligns. The all alignment thing is suppose to coincide only after the winter solstice with the sun rising - it starts rising earlier and we get longer days.

I've never heard of Orion's belt being called "the three kings".

Its called like this in South Africa for instance and they are many more reference pre-Christianity.

Again, if do some research you will always find that the all "story" is based on astronomy somewhere down the line, as its often the case for many basis of religion. The exact turn of events are very difficult to gather of course but I find it a lot more logical than a virgin in grotto with a donkey. etc.....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Reads like a bad Dan Brown novel. . .
    You make it sound as if there's such thing as a good one.

ZeRoY wrote: »
    Its a rough alignment, we are talking 2500+ years ago, and even now, you can see it roughly aligns. The all alignment thing is suppose to coincide only after the winter solstice with the sun rising - it starts rising earlier and we get longer days.

Ok, so it's only a rough alignment. But it's supposed to pick out the point of sunrise on the exact date of Christmas? We can't really have it both ways. When I extend a line from Orion's belt towards Sirius, it misses Sirius by 6 degrees of declination. That's huge. If the sunrise point on the horizon that is supposedly marked out was also only accurate to within six degrees, it would represent a movement of an entire month of sunrise either side of the solstice. So now we've gone from pointing out the exact sunrise on Christmas day to some sunrise between late November and late January.

But, as I said, this supposed line doesn't even exist! All alignments in the sky have to rotate with respect to the horizon throughout the night unless they lie along the celestial equator. So the whole premise make no sense whatsoever. Even if this alignment existed, it wouldn't "point" anywhere. Just a few weeks ago I watched an "alignment" of the Moon and Jupiter and watched the line connecting them rotate like the hands of a clock throughout the night. You can check it yourself. Pick any two stars with the line between them pointing any direction you like. Wait an hour, and check again. Where does the line point now?

Regarding the suggestion that it's only a rough alignment because 2,500 years have elapsed ... that's easy to check. Of the belt stars and Sirius, only the latter has a proper motion that would make any significant difference over 2,500 years. That's because it's nine light years away, whereas the others are all on the order of a hundred times more distant. Consequently, Sirius has a proper motion which is 100 to 500 times greater than the belt stars. In effect, the belt stars haven't changed at all in two and a half millenia. What about Sirius? We can look up its proper motion: -546 milliarcseconds per year in right ascension, and -1223 milliarcseconds per year in declination. Multiply the latter by 2,500 years and we discover that Sirius has moved by 0.85 degrees in declination in the last 2,500 years. Woohoo! Two and a half thousand years ago the line from Orion's belt only missed Sirius by a little over five degrees instead of six!

So to summarise -- there is no alignment of Orion's belt stars with Sirius. They haven't aligned any time in the last 2,500 years or even in the 10,000 years before that. Even if there was an alignment it wouldn't occur only at the solstice -- it would be same night after night, year after year, century after century. And it wouldn't point anywhere, but would rotate all night, every night. This whole idea is so bad it's "not even wrong".
    Its called like this in South Africa for instance and they are many more reference pre-Christianity.

Where are the pre-Christianity references? If I was giving an example of something that is really common across thousands of years, why would I give one single example from South Africa from three hundred years ago? If there are many more references, where are they and why doesn't an encyclopedia mention them? I see in the same reference and others that they are also called "The Three Marys", "Mary's wand", "Peter's Staff" and "The Magi". It all sounds like Christian folklore. Open to persuasion on this one, but I haven't been able to find any references to pre-Christianity.

Again, if do some research you will always find that the all "story" is based on astronomy somewhere down the line, as its often the case for many basis of religion. The exact turn of events are very difficult to gather of course but I find it a lot more logical than a virgin in grotto with a donkey. etc.....

I did some quick research and it looks like baloney. Saying it's more logical is like saying that leprechauns are more logical than woodland elves. They could both be made up. But from what I can find, scholars generally rubbish the idea that the Christmas story is a syncretistic mishmash of earlier mythologies. Most of the stuff circulating on the web seems to be based on a few quacks and a 2007 movie.

I'm no expert on that stuff, though. All I can say with certainty is that the astronomy is categorically wrong.

• Advertisement

El Weirdo wrote: »
    You make it sound as if there's such thing as a good [Dan Brown novel].

:D

Regarding the suggestion that it's only a rough alignment because 2,500 years have elapsed ... that's easy to check.

I think you got me wrong here ... I meant that for the folks back then, the skies were just a ball of mystery and so its not hard to understand that most religion and belief have their basis upon the stars and planet. You don't need google for that its common knowledge. it was a rough alignment back then and its still is! That would have been enough for folks to deduct their own belief around it, especially at the time of the winter solstice and all the mythology around that (starts right in Ireland with Newgrange).

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Tomk1

A Chinese lantern or Venus

I think you got me wrong here ... I meant that for the folks back then, the skies were just a ball of mystery and so its not hard to understand that most religion and belief have their basis upon the stars and planet. You don't need google for that its common knowledge. it was a rough alignment back then and its still is! That would have been enough for folks to deduct their own belief around it, especially at the time of the winter solstice and all the mythology around that (starts right in Ireland with Newgrange).

I have to disagree with that. The knowledge of Babylonian astronomers about the movement of the heavens, going back over three and half thousand years ago, was exquisite. They had measurements of planetary risings and settings over decades of observations. They had a mathematical calculations of the length of the day throughout the solar year. As you know, from Newgrange, the azimuth of sunrise on the solstice was measured very precisely in antiquity. Now, there is no doubt that the presence of Orion in the evening sky was a well-known sign of winter, as it is today to anyone lucky enough to be able to see the stars on a regular basis ( - less common, unfortunately that in ancient Babylon).

BUT ... that's all a very far cry from a very specific claim about a particular stellar alignment pointing to a specific event on a particular day of the year. It just doesn't make any sense to say "oh its only a rough alignment" and in the same breath claim that it points to the sunrise on December 25th. Either it does or it doesn't, and if it does it needs an accuracy of a fraction of a degree. It's an insult to the skill and knowledge of the ancients to suggest that they were this clueless. They weren't.

But you're still ignoring the main point. There isn't any alignment. Not even a rough one. The (very) rough line from Orion's belt to Sirius spins like a top during the night. It simply doesn't point anywhere. That claim is just completely bogus.

Just to labour the point one more time ...

here's Orion tonight at 9pm, just after Sirius rises:

e8uxq0.jpg

And here it is at midnight:

j66iao.jpg

This alleged alignment intersects the horizon at about 123 degrees (measured anticlockwise from North) at 9pm. At midnight it has shifted to about 154 degrees. (All measurements very approximate since there is a spherical projection going on whose details I'm not sure of). In the course of the night, the pointer pirouettes over a hundred degrees around the horizon. The azimith of sunrise tomorrow (Christmas, the 25th) is 130 degrees. There's simply nothing special about this arrangement tonight or any other night. Not nearly, not roughly, not at all. The idea was put forward in a nutty 2007 movie, having been borrowed from some astrology faker.

Sorry for being so pointed. I think I'm just finally getting tired of paying for the Sky "science" channels when most of what they show is quackery, fakery and new age hogwash masquerading as documentaries. No wonder people are so credulous these days!

Sorry for being so pointed. I think I'm just finally getting tired of paying for the Sky "science" channels when most of what they show is quackery, fakery and new age hogwash masquerading as documentaries. No wonder people are so credulous these days!

Im sorry you had to spend so much on this for nothing really, we all believe different things, nobody has any facts to repute one another, I was merely giving my version of event as I see it through what i've always heard (and thats way before 2007) and so to me Sirius is that bright star described in the Bible. If you prefer to believe that there was a magic star and 3 kings, donkeys and the the lot I have no objections!

Im sorry you had to spend so much on this for nothing really, we all believe different things, nobody has any facts to repute one another, I was merely giving my version of event as I see it through what i've always heard (and thats way before 2007) and so to me Sirius is that bright star described in the Bible. If you prefer to believe that there was a magic star and 3 kings, donkeys and the the lot I have no objections!

I didn't say I believed in a magic star and three kings and donkeys. I just said that your astronomical claims are wrong.

What do you mean nobody has any facts? It's a fact that the claimed alignment of the "three kings" stars with Sirius doesn't exist and doesn't point to the sunrise on December 25th. It doesn't point to anything because it keeps moving. Sorry if I didn't explain it very well. Here it is again:

2ailrme.jpg

That's a picture of what the sky looks like right now (well, ok, 2 hours ago).I don't know how much more factual you can get than being able to go outside your door and see that right this very second (except the "alignment" will have moved 2 hours even further west). It's not a question of what anyone believes, unless you doubt the evidence of your own eyes. If it's cloudy tonight, check tomorrow -- it'll be the same.

P.S. I checked what it looks like for all locations in the northern hemisphere, in case the "magic alignment" is to do with where Sirius rises above the horizon, which would of course be latitude dependent. No dice -- the sun always rises at a more southerly azimuth than Sirius.

I just said that your astronomical claims are wrong.

Thats the all point you keep missing, these claims aren't mine, I believe 100% what you've shown here but it doesn't change a thing for me as I'm saying they were the ones [folks had at that time] that used such celestial events - as inaccurate as they might seem to us today - to create the basis for some of the story we know today.

Thats the all point you keep missing, these claims aren't mine, I believe 100% what you've shown here but it doesn't change a thing for me as I'm saying they were the ones [folks had at that time] that used such celestial events - as inaccurate as they might seem to us today - to create the basis for some of the story we know today.

I'm afraid we're going around in circles. Every time I point out that there isn't any alignment at all, you keep saying it's "rough" or "inaccurate". It's not rough. It's not inaccurate. It's non-existent. If you think there's an actual alignment, would you mind saying what you think it is?

I realise they're not your claims. And my original response was to this:

That's even more full of specific claims of astronomical significance which don't stack up. Again, not rough or inaccurate, but just flat out wrong.

But the whole premise is bogus anyway. We can be pretty sure the date of Christmas isn't arbitrary. It was moved to coincide with a pre-existing festival. We know the date of Christmas wasn't originally the 25th of December, and it still isn't in parts of the world. It is on Epiphany, the 6th of January (or 19th in the Julian calendar). By then, by the way, Orion will be rising an hour earlier and will be a striking evening constellation ... which makes it not too unusual that its belt stars are called The Three Kings. So far nobody's come up with any evidence that the name is pre-Christian. We only have it from the same source that is wrong about all the other astronomy.

So when you're outlining the celestial events that you say are the basis of the Christmas story, you'll need to also explain how Christmas has moved around by at least a number of weeks over the centuries, only finally settling on a Roman solstice festival.

I'm afraid we're going around in circles. Every time I point out that there isn't any alignment at all, you keep saying it's "rough" or "inaccurate". It's not rough. It's not inaccurate. It's non-existent. If you think there's an actual alignment, would you mind saying what you think it is?

You've now posted a pic of that rough line about 3 times, i cant say much more :confused: - and wont. Peace!

Edit: Just watched that 2007 Documentary which has been mention and its clear they are huge discrepancy but nothing surprising for that type of video. Im still on the idea that the bright star is Sirius!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭smokingman

Technically, the "star" is called a "McGuffin". Nothing else to see here, move along.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

I'm not convinced with the sirius story myself but what if the alignment with the sun is looked at from a latitude at which the southern cross is visible in the southern sky. I'm quite drunk now but this argument was made to me before and I could see the sun god dying on the cross and raising after 3 days. I don't think the southern cross is seen from israel but it would have been known from Egypt where the jews spent several years.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

But from what I can find, scholars generally rubbish the idea that the Christmas story is a syncretistic mishmash of earlier mythologies. Most of the stuff circulating on the web seems to be based on a few quacks and a 2007 movie.

I'm no expert on that stuff, though. All I can say with certainty is that the astronomy is categorically wrong.
    +1000 Sounds like another rehash of that "Zeitgeist" youtubery that was doing the rounds a while back, which was itself a rehash of previous well dodgy(actually awful) "scholarship". The linked PDF namechecks it and it's utter and complete nonsense pretty much from start to finish. People would have to have very little knowledge or as you say PS be very credulous. The amount of people who point to it as fact quite beggars belief.

OK(from the PDF) The Bible tells us that three wise men came from the east,
    It does no such thing. It never gives a number and it describes them as Magi, which could mean anything from kings, to members of a preistly caste. The "three wise men" idea came way after the original accounts. The did bring three gifts but there could have been ten of them, or none for all we know. The later reference to "the sun god or son of god" as any form of scholarship is beyond risible. On the astronomy part ps200306 has pretty much nailed it. I'd also agree with his post about the accuracy of ancient astronomers. They were incredibly accurate and noted as much as they could. Sure they were usually using it for astrology, but they considered it a serious science so were accordingly diligent. Hell, one clay tablet found may even be a record of the passing and impact of a meteorite whose fallout may have inspired that other biblical tale of sodom and gomorrah.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    The amount of people who point to it as fact quite beggars belief.

I know ... 2.30 billion Christians in the world. Would you believe that, would ya? Point made? :D

Beside the "joke" - no one knows for sure where all this is coming from but as the OP suggest, astronomy played a big part in the founding of many religious belief. And of course it would, its still today a subject of unknown, fascination and intrigue. I feel very fortunate that we today have the tools to observe in great detail all these stars and object from above.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

I thought it was Jupiter and Venus. But there are 2 other theories.

One is a close approach by Jupiter and Saturn three times during a period of one year in 7-6 B.C.

The second theory is the conjunction of Jupiter and Venus in 2 B.C.

The third theory a nova in the constellation Aquila the Eagle, recorded by the Chinese in 5 B.C.

I'm not convinced with the sirius story myself but what if the alignment with the sun is looked at from a latitude at which the southern cross is visible in the southern sky. I'm quite drunk now but this argument was made to me before and I could see the sun god dying on the cross and raising after 3 days. I don't think the southern cross is seen from israel but it would have been known from Egypt where the jews spent several years.

I had a quick look at that in Stellarium. I wasn't sure what effect changing latitude might have on the azimuth of sunrise vs. the line from Orion's belt to Sirius (although I guessed none). Obviously, the line still moves throughout the night so we have to choose a particular time, and the most obvious (as well as the one with the most chance of success) is the time at which Sirius rises. Does Sirius rise at the same point on the horizon that the sun will rise some hours later on Christmas day? The answer is a categorical no, for any latitude in the northern hemisphere. Nowhere close. This makes intuitive sense ... changing your latitude will shift everything in the sky -- the sun, Sirius, Orion, etc. If there's no alignment from Ireland there won't be any for Egypt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Does the line point to not where the sun rises, but to where the sun is, like if you follow the line around through dawn, would it end up pointing to where the sun rises?
    (would this mean it points north south at midnight?) i have very little idea about these things,

• Registered Users Posts: 14,315 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

wasnt jesus born in september ????????????????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

i thought he was born in a manger?

• Advertisement

Does the line point to not where the sun rises, but to where the sun is, like if you follow the line around through dawn, would it end up pointing to where the sun rises?
    (would this mean it points north south at midnight?) i have very little idea about these things,

Interesting question, but the answer is no. I say that with qualification though, because it's a difficult line to draw. Firstly, Sirius has already set several hours before sunrise on December 25th. Secondly, and more problematically, if you're going to draw a line on the spherical surface of the celestial sphere, what projection are you going to use?

For an example, see this guy:

http://www.tracer345.org/zeitgeist.html

He makes pretty much all the points I made (but I promise I didn't copy them -- I've only just come across the page :D ). He has two slight mistakes though. One is minor and doesn't affect the argument -- he says that the solstices occur at opposite ends of the major axis of the earth's elliptical orbit around the sun when the pole is tilted toward or away from the sun. That's wrong. The solstice is indeed related to the tilt of the earth's axis, but that is completely unconnected with its position in its orbit*.

The other point he makes, which is related to your question, is that the line from Orion's belt through Sirius never points at the sun. That's not really true either. What I think he has done is to take a flattened projection in which the celestial north pole is at the centre. In such a projection, our famous alignment is more or less tangential to the ecliptic line, so yes, it never points at the sun. The problem is that there are many different projections you could take. Even when you look at the actual sky, you are creating one mentally. We don't actually perceive the "dome of the sky" as a hemispheric dome above our heads -- we tend to accentuate angles close to the horizon and diminish them close to the zenith. That's why we have the so-called moon illusion, which causes us to see the moon as a large disc when it's close to the horizon and a smaller disc when it's overhead. Our senses evolved to tell us how near or far something was -- not to objectively measure angular dimensions.

In spherical coordinates, a straight line would normally be taken to mean a "great circle" line -- a line that is a circumference of the sphere. On our standard picture of the earth (and the sky) lines of longitude are great circles, but lines of latitude (other than the equator) are not. If you flatten the earth's surface to two dimensions, as we normally do on maps, it's quite difficult to figure out where a great circle line would lie, since it depends on the projection used to draw the map, and there are many different types of projections, but normally a great circle line would be some sort of curve.

All of which is a longwinded way to say -- there's no easy way to confirm or refute an alignment in which the Orion-Sirius line "points at" the sun. Without more detail such an alignment doesn't really mean anything. It's unlikely the ancients would have been referring to genuine spherical coordinates. They didn't have tools like quadrants to take angular measurements -- those were invented by Arabic atronomers in the late first millenium. The most important angular measurements were between the horizon and zenith, because this is how you measure the altitude of the Pole Star, a vital aid to navigation which gives your latitude. At the most basic, you can measure this with your hand held at arms length with your fingers parallel to the horizon. In my experience, hillwalkers still use this to roughly measure the time to sunset -- one finger from sun to horizon is about fifteen minutes. Early astronomers/navigators formalised this with the unit of the issabeh (Arabic for finger) which was the distance between knots on a piece of string use for measuring the altitude of Polaris. But for measuring large angles that do not lie along a meridian, this technique isn't so great. In short, this isn't the sort of alignment claimed for Orion, Sirius and the Sun.

(* Without getting into boring detail, at the solstice the earth does nowadays happen to be within a fortnight of reaching one end of the major axis of its orbit. It reaches perihelion, it's closest point to the sun, around January 4th. But the relationship of perihelion to the solstice -- called the "longitude of periapsis" -- is variable over time due to something called apsidal precession).

Advertisement