Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is wrong with my Kitten?

Options
  • 22-12-2012 8:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

can somebody please help me? I got a new kitten yesterday.But she is quite timid.She hasn't eaten since yesterday and hasn't went to toilet yet once since I got her,she is scared of me,she is not very playful like a kitten should be,she is around 6weeks old.she keeps wheezing and sneezing and in the morning her eye was closed and teary,I am worried about her and wondering if anyone can gelp me or tell me what is wrong.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Ever2010

Where did you get her from? 6 weeks is quite young to be away from her mother. Get her to a vet as soon as you can - just to be checked over.

She's probably terrified! She's in an entirely new unfamiliar surrounding, plus if she's not feeling well it's not going to help.

Make sure she has a warm dark place to hide - a cardboard box with some bedding would be a good idea. And just take your time with her. We're fostering a frightened little 12 week old at the minute and she's starting to trust us now - we had her just over a week.

Has she been weaned long? Boiled chicken is meant to be very good. But also ensure she has a high-nutrient dry food like Hills or similar to build up her strength.

She will become a playful little kitten once she's well and settled.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭wishmaster200

snip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭garancafan

Some good advice from Ever2010.

Plenty of cuddling and stroking will help. After some of that place her on her litter tray while continuing to stroke her. A small quantity of lightly-warmed lactose-free milk might appeal to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭micosoft

can somebody please help me? I got a new kitten yesterday.But she is quite timid.She hasn't eaten since yesterday and hasn't went to toilet yet once since I got her,she is scared of me,she is not very playful like a kitten should be,she is around 6weeks old.she keeps wheezing and sneezing and in the morning her eye was closed and teary,I am worried about her and wondering if anyone can gelp me or tell me what is wrong.

Seriously? Where exactly did you buy her? Any history? Know if it has been weaned, etc etc etc

Take her to a Vet. Before Christmas day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Tom_Cruise

snip

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

6 weeks is too young to be away from their mother, but really what can you do now. I would be taking her to the vet now! The coughing, sneezing, teary eyed sounds like it could be cat flu, which she will need treatment for. As for the rest, she is petrified, leave her alone and let her come to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

Not sure of this is correct but this is what I did when I had a kitten...

Water down some milk, make it luke warm. Dip your finger in the saucer of it and try to get her to lick your finger, guiding her towards the saucer, not too much milk, cos she'll probably end up in the saucer.

For her eyes, warm water on cotton wool and just wipe very gently to take the guck away from her eyes.

Pet her especially under her chin and give her a cuddle, she's probably terrified, cuddles in quiet place.

Make sure room is warm and she has a blanket/box to snuggle up in and hide, like suggested already.

Maybe a hot water bottle wrapped in an old blanket -- not too hot.. just for her to cuddle up to.

Not sure about urinating, newspaper? litter tray?

Bring to vet if no improvement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

The Mod must be on the beer tonight !!

6 weeks is fairly young for a kitten to be separated from its mother, But as the other posters said bring her to a vet. I had a kitten once it was only two months old but within a week he was fairly comfortable, Ah I was devastated when I had to give him away as I became very attached to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

Vet definitaly! She does not sound well and a kitten that hasnt eaten in 24 hrs needs veterinary assistance. She is far to young to be away from mammy.
    It sounds like she might have cat flu. Also when was she wormed?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

charlemont wrote: »
    The Mod must be on the beer tonight !!

Nope.25 minutes isnt a bad response time.

Wishmaster200 permanently banned from the forum.

Theres also no need for the same user to report the same post multiple times-it doesnt make us work any faster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Ericaa

Hellrazer wrote: »

Theres also no need for the same user to report the same post multiple times-it doesnt make us work any faster.

That wasn't me was it??

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭brrabus

Poor little thing, she must be petrified. 6 weeks is way too young to be taken away from her mother. .I got mine when they were 10 weeks and it took them virtually a week to start trusting me, now they won't leave me alone. Should have called one of them shadow as he is my shadow.

She does not sound too well so a visit to the vet might be appropriate if she does not improve soon. Give her a box in a dark quiet place with something soft to sit on. When she is better she should start exploring and she will be a lovely cuddly playful little thing.

Try a little bit of Ambrosia Creamed Rice, only little bit to begin with.

Best of luck, hope she is ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Leopard_Star

I don't know what happened with the reports?
    Thank you everyone for your advice.To answer some of the questions...I got her from a family who had quite a few cats and dogs at home,I don't know if she has been wormed or vet checked.I was told she is litter trained,but she hasn't gone yet,we have a closed litter box with silica gel cat litter.I think she has a cat flu of some kind and maybe that is why she is not eating,don't know about the toilet.I cleaned her eyes with some chamomile tea,and will try to give her some chicken and keep her warm,she might have caught the cold when I was bringing her home yesterday,also my room is quite cold,the heater is on but its still quite cold so will try the water bottle,but I cannot bring her to the living room as I don't want my 3 year old brother knowing we have a cat yet to give her some peace as she is sick as my brother wont be able to keep away from excitement(loves cats)...The cat has been weaned and I know she is quite small but her mother was unable to feed her kittens after they were 5.weeks old.the owner said she likes chicken and milk so I don't know why she didn't touch the milk or water since I got her and no food since yesterday..thank you everybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭brrabus

Try taking the top off the litter box for now, she is probably frightened.

brrabus wrote: »
    Try taking the top off the litter box for now, she is probably frightened.

okay thanks i'll try it

Dont feed her milk unless its specific kitten milk. Water is sufficient.
    Chicken is not a good enough food for her. She needs a good quality food like royal canin baby cat. Chicken wont give her all the extra that she needs.
    I would get her vet checked anyway and if shes ok get parazol, liquid wormer.

For the time being keep her in a warm room, with a dark hidey hole. Make sure she can get into the litter tray too. She is going to be out of sorts with being taken from the mother and it sounds like she hasnt had much human contact tbh. Even when a mother has no milk the kitten needs the comfort of suckling, she is still only a baby and kittens should not be taken away from the mother until 12/13 weeks old if possible.

How does her tummy feel? is it round and hard, round and soft, is she skinny?

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭pokertalk

soumds like she has chlamydia she will need a drip asap if she is not drinking she prob has a fever too so dont keep her too hot .whoever you got her off should know if the vet sez its chlamydia

Dont feed her milk unless its specific kitten milk. Water is sufficient.
    Chicken is not a good enough food for her. She needs a good quality food like royal canin baby cat. Chicken wont give her all the extra that she needs.
    I would get her vet checked anyway and if shes ok get parazol, liquid wormer.

For the time being keep her in a warm room, with a dark hidey hole. Make sure she can get into the litter tray too. She is going to be out of sorts with being taken from the mother and it sounds like she hasnt had much human contact tbh. Even when a mother has no milk the kitten needs the comfort of suckling, she is still only a baby and kittens should not be taken away from the mother until 12/13 weeks old if possible.

How does her tummy feel? is it round and hard, round and soft, is she skinny?
    i dont really know how skinny a cat should be but my mum thought she is quite skinny,I am also giving her wet kitten food,she ate some of that yesterday but i think she has gotten sicker so did not eat anything today,I did not know she will need special kitten milk so I did not buy any but I diluted cows milk with water and gave her that,I tried putting her in a dark deep box but she prefers her cat bed as it is by the radiator and warm.I dont know is her tummy is hard or soft,i can't tell since I don't know what a cats tummy should feel like

Dont give her any milk at all, even watered down milk.
    If her belly is hard it will feel like a hard shell.
    If you can try and drip feed her water, from a plastic syringe or spoon. She needs to be rehydrated. No whiskas wet food.
    At this point to get something into her foodwise, try some sardines in brine, a bit of cheese, try the chicken again. Get her to lick an ice cube.
    You really do need to get her to a vet as soon as you can.

Dont give her any milk at all, even watered down milk.
    If her belly is hard it will feel like a hard shell.
    If you can try and drip feed her water, from a plastic syringe or spoon. She needs to be rehydrated. No whiskas wet food.
    At this point to get something into her foodwise, try some sardines in brine, a bit of cheese, try the chicken again. Get her to lick an ice cube.
    You really do need to get her to a vet as soon as you can.

okay thanks :)

• Advertisement

Where are you based, someone might be able to advise you of an emergency vet.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Garth

I want to back up what TheMadHouse is saying -- that kitten needs to see a vet asap or it will die.

If that was my kitten, I would be contacting the emergency vets right now.

6 weeks is a bad time for kittens as they've lost a lot of the immunity they got from their mom and are very vulnerable to all infections. Stress and rehoming at an inappropriately young age will only make the kitten more likely to get sick.

At that age, they can go from ok to dead in 24 hours.

I'm not trying to alarm you excessively, but other posters have made it sound like you should go see the vet if they don't come around at some point. It is much more urgent than that if the kitten isn't eating. 48 hours without food can cause irreversible liver damage in full-grown cats.

Where are you based, someone might be able to advise you of an emergency vet.

leonards corner dublin 8

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

leonards corner dublin 8

UCD is probably the closest emergency vet to you

Cats are lactose intolerant and should not be given normal milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭garancafan

pokertalk wrote: »
    soumds like she has chlamydia

More likely Chlamydophila felis.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

pokertalk wrote: »
    soumds like she has chlamydia she will need a drip asap if she is not drinking she prob has a fever too so dont keep her too hot .whoever you got her off should know if the vet sez its chlamydia

That's feline chlamydiosis, mind, not human, venereal chlamydia. Two totally different things. Feline chlamydiosis is a form of cat flu. And yep, a little kitten with cat flu can go downhill really fast. If she's not eating, she's not getting any fluids and she can get dehydrated very quickly. And as she's so tiny, she'll be hypoglycaemic, too. Cat flu can also cause permanent damage to the cornea because of secondary bacterial infection.

Definitely I'd be calling the vet for advice. She'll need to be kept warm and given palatable, warmed food from the vet that's energy-dense. She will more than likely need some antibiotics from the vet and possibly fluids under the skin also.

Don't leave it go too long, OP. It won't cost you anything to ring the vet to get the mobile number of the vet on call, and find out if you should bring her in in the morning.

as i said it sounds like Chlamydia my sisters cat had it and died its was the first maine coon with itchlamydia that ucd had seen they were very helpful up there so would defo bring her up tonight as she will have to be kept in sneezing and sticky eyes are tell tail aigns good luck with this

:eek::eek:
    boomerang wrote: »
    That's feline chlamydiosis, mind, not human, venereal chlamydia. Two totally different things. Feline chlamydiosis is a form of cat flu. And yep, a little kitten with cat flu can go downhill really fast. If she's not eating, she's not getting any fluids and she can get dehydrated very quickly. And as she's so tiny, she'll be hypoglycaemic, too. Cat flu can also cause permanent damage to the cornea because of secondary bacterial infection.

Definitely I'd be calling the vet for advice. She'll need to be kept warm and given palatable, warmed food from the vet that's energy-dense. She will more than likely need some antibiotics from the vet and possibly fluids under the skin also.

Don't leave it go too long, OP. It won't cost you anything to ring the vet to get the mobile number of the vet on call, and find out if you should bring her in in the morning.
    well yes and no it used to be called feline chlamydia and then changed to chlamydiosis . the reason y i did not put in feline chlamydia i because i assumed the op would understamd i was talking about her cat:eek: op let me know if i was rite:D.

Did you get the kitten to the vet? How is she?

• Advertisement

tbh I don't know what feline chlamydia or chlamydiosis is.
    But I finally brought her to the vet,she had worms and a cold and a bit of an infection in the eye so now she has to stay warm and be force fed kitten milk,and her eye cleaned,she got some needle for the worms and now with care hopefully she will get better,thanks everyone for your advice :)

Advertisement