Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to make a training log

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,137 ✭✭✭rom

shoe mileage / multisport (which is the same thing)
    how to do drop downs and conditional formatting
    added

In respect to multisport do you guys measure everything in K's

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

rom wrote: »
    shoe mileage / multisport (which is the same thing)
    how to do drop downs and conditional formatting
    added

In respect to multisport do you guys measure everything in K's

k'a but only because it makes it sem like I've achieved more ! I then translate it into miles & gloat over the K figure!

This is great : my weekend project! Thank you! Really appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Brewski78

This is brilliant, just what I was looking for, thanks rom!

Any ideas on the best/most efficient way to incorporate 2 different sessions in one day (i.e. a swim and a run) while keeping pace and totals clean?

Brewski78 wrote: »
    This is brilliant, just what I was looking for, thanks rom!

Any ideas on the best/most efficient way to incorporate 2 different sessions in one day (i.e. a swim and a run) while keeping pace and totals clean?

What do you mean "clean" ?

Just meant putting a swim and a run on same line would obviously make the pacing useless but would adding a second line with the same date make most sense or a few additional columns on same line. Just in terms of totals on other pages etc, what do you think might work best.

• Advertisement

Brewski78 wrote: »
    Just meant putting a swim and a run on same line would obviously make the pacing useless but would adding a second line with the same date make most sense or a few additional columns on same line. Just in terms of totals on other pages etc, what do you think might work best.
    This is what I would expect you to do. You can have as many lines as you want per day. It might be good to use the Type column like the shoe example and use Swim, Bike, run or whatever in it so when you look back you know what they are.
    You should only have one session per line.

Ok thanks, and thanks again for the time and effort that must go into this thread!

Added how to hide cells.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Alh6ofJoLlpTdFBUdmlNY3J6aTRZeExnY0NJYUhBVGc#gid=11

This is another format of training log for 2013. It is the format that I use. All the formula's like weeks shoes etc all will be the same as documented. I didn't want to show this one as it would cause confusion but basically if you do a double entry then it needs to be added after the monday row and before the sunday row. That is because these rows are used as the boundary rows for adding up the totals.

It clearly shows the weekly totals and the overall total which is nice.

BTW to copy this spreadsheet. Download as excel format. Then upload to google doc's and convert to google documents format when uploading.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭briN_s

Brad768 wrote: »

How did you add the weekly totals section? Is there an automatic way to do it, or was it manually done?

• Advertisement

briN_s wrote: »
    How did you add the weekly totals section? Is there an automatic way to do it, or was it manually done?

Having a month on separate sheets is not the way to go.

Did you look at this format as it is much better.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Alh6ofJoLlpTdFBUdmlNY3J6aTRZeExnY0NJYUhBVGc#gid=11

Basically what you do is you make your first week and then write out your 2nd week but get the dates to be worked out from the previous week like =A2+7 for monday in the 2nd week. you do similar for your totals also adding last weeks total and this weeks sum range.

Now you copy and paste week two all the way down and all the dates will be correct for each paste and each week's totals will work as it will be adding the sum range for this week and last weeks overall total.

Then do a copy and paste on col A and paste values only as you don't want the dates to be worked out by formula because if you add a double it will mess everything up otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭briN_s

I think what I am looking for is a hybrid of layouts from that sheet and your sheet, as I plan on tracking totals for two sports all on one sheet for the year. I will apply your copy and paste method once I figure a neat way of totaling the sports separately ( I guess by doctoring your shoe mileage formula!). Thanks for all your effort with setting up the tutorial.

briN_s wrote: »
    I think what I am looking for is a hybrid of layouts from that sheet and your sheet, as I plan on tracking totals for two sports all on one sheet for the year. I will apply your copy and paste method once I figure a neat way of totaling the sports separately ( I guess by doctoring your shoe mileage formula!). Thanks for all your effort with setting up the tutorial.

Use the method that I used for different shoes as its the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Walkedit

Use the method that I used for different shoes as its the same thing.

Rom thanks for doing this, good job
    I just found thread and had started a simpler Google sheet but this is way better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

This is another format of training log for 2013. It is the format that I use. All the formula's like weeks shoes etc all will be the same as documented. I didn't want to show this one as it would cause confusion but basically if you do a double entry then it needs to be added after the monday row and before the sunday row. That is because these rows are used as the boundary rows for adding up the totals.

It clearly shows the weekly totals and the overall total which is nice.

BTW to copy this spreadsheet. Download as excel format. Then upload to google doc's and convert to google documents format when uploading.

Hey Rom,

I've been using this version for a while now, it's great. One question, I have added in my own column for "pain" with a rating of 1-10. I'd like any ratings above a certain level, say 7, to stand out with either a different font or the cell highlights. I've been messing around with conditional formatting but don't quite seem to have it. Can you help? Thanks

edit - actually, have it working now, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭rob w

Just found this thread, fair play for the effort put in to it rom! Have been fiddling around with my own basic excel spreadsheet but will give this one a go when i get a chance....looks great!

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭paulgalway

Have not used Google spreadsheets before.

Where can I obtain the training log template so that I can download it to excel or even make a copy for my own use.

Does it make sense (for me at least) to use excel or would it be better to start using google docs.

Thanks in advance for the help.

paulgalway wrote: »
    Have not used Google spreadsheets before.

Where can I obtain the training log template so that I can download it to excel or even make a copy for my own use.

Does it make sense (for me at least) to use excel or would it be better to start using google docs.

Thanks in advance for the help.

File > Download as > Excel ?

You can then upload it again and convert it to a google doc. At least with google docs you will have it backed up and revisions tracked so if you make a mistake you can roll it back.

Would defo recommend using google docs instead of excel. Just when uploading it select convert to goolge doc.

Rom,

Thanks for the information.

Do you have a link to the blank template so that I could start using it?

Thanks.

paulgalway wrote: »
    Rom,

Thanks for the information.

Do you have a link to the blank template so that I could start using it?

Thanks.

Other than this https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Alh6ofJoLlpTdFBUdmlNY3J6aTRZeExnY0NJYUhBVGc#gid=11

No because of reason below.

The problem with providing a template is if a person does not know how it works then they can't fix or modify it. It is best to start a document from scratch. Also in providing a template people would expect answers anytime they broke anything (not a road I want to go down). Also say I was to provide a template then I would have to document how to integrate any changes into it when people might have changed their original documents (very messy). The document goal is to provide the building blocks to make your own. My training log looks nothing like this for example.

• Advertisement

Rom,

I understand where you are coming from.

Thanks for your help, I will use the one in the link to start with.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭thewolf_ie

Hi Rom,

Great thread. I am wondering why I would want the excel sheet if I can get the information on Garmin connect? Am I right in thinking it would be duplication?

Kind Regards

TheWolf_ie

thewolf_ie wrote: »
    Hi Rom,

Great thread. I am wondering why I would want the excel sheet if I can get the information on Garmin connect? Am I right in thinking it would be duplication?

Kind Regards

TheWolf_ie

For the same reason that people use Fetch, training peaks etc. You may track and are interested more than things that the GPS watch tracks. Garmin connect is far from industry leading. PLus you have zero control of when they add or remove features. Using both together is best. Garmin connect is great for looking at a single activity in detail. It is poor in most other ways. For example no way to track your resting HR or sick or rest days and reason for them with garmin connect. Tracking miles used for gear also. Other portals solve a lot of these issue but charge a lot for the connivence.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭thewolf_ie

Great response, I will give it ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭jmcc99_98

Rom, firstly thank you so much for the tutorial, it is very easy to follow and results in a fantastic training log.

I do multisport so where you created dropdown lists for runners, i did the drop down lists for sports (mostly running and cycling)

The only issue I have is that the weekly and monthly totals give the overall mileage (Cycling and running combined) is there a way of having the weekly and monthly totals set up in a way that gives the mileage for each sport?

I have done my best to work this out for myself to save bothering you but have been unable to do so.

any help would be greatly appreciated and again thanks for all the work you have done on this up until now.

jmcc99_98 wrote: »
    Rom, firstly thank you so much for the tutorial, it is very easy to follow and results in a fantastic training log.

I do multisport so where you created dropdown lists for runners, i did the drop down lists for sports (mostly running and cycling)

The only issue I have is that the weekly and monthly totals give the overall mileage (Cycling and running combined) is there a way of having the weekly and monthly totals set up in a way that gives the mileage for each sport?

I have done my best to work this out for myself to save bothering you but have been unable to do so.

any help would be greatly appreciated and again thanks for all the work you have done on this up until now.

For the runners(shoe) totals it searches where shoe is equal x,y,z. You need to do similar for your monthly totals

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

I've a modified format of one of ROM's early spreadsheets which I can share with you. PM your email, I'll share it with you and you can make a copy.

ROM I was actually thinking about this today. Can you make an entry form, like a database with Google?

As we get later in the year, paging down is a pain. If there was a way to enter the data through a form which would then feed the data into the spreadsheet. Have all your drop down menu, sport, date time options in the form and so on.

Do you know of this is possible? Along the lines of a Microsoft Access database type thing.

I've a modified format of one of ROM's early spreadsheets which I can share with you. PM your email, I'll share it with you and you can make a copy.

ROM I was actually thinking about this today. Can you make an entry form, like a database with Google?

As we get later in the year, paging down is a pain. If there was a way to enter the data through a form which would then feed the data into the spreadsheet. Have all your drop down menu, sport, date time options in the form and so on.

Do you know of this is possible? Along the lines of a Microsoft Access database type thing.

Yes that is very easy to do but you can hide older rows also if you have to scroll down.

You can actually use a google spreadsheet like a database directly and do selects against it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Yes that is very easy to do but you can hide older rows also if you have to scroll down.

You can actually use a google spreadsheet like a database directly and do selects against it

Never thought of hiding!! :o

So used to not using Excel now I forget some of the basics. I'll have a look through the help docs for the database info.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭jmcc99_98

Thanks guys, cant manage to get it though, just been at it for 3 hours.

Im such a nerd when it comes to stats.

Advertisement