Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IMO chief exec lump sum

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ryder

Excellent article in the medical Indo....as usual. I resigned from the IMO earlier. Felt a little bad about it, because it isn't the fault of the current committee and I genuinely fear for nchds if it falls.

But... And its a big but. The imo are more concerned with policy and being seen as influential see rather than getting down and dirty regarding tights. Why else would the IMO constantly have to fight fires all over the country - same ones each time, and then crow triumphantly about their victory. I would have paid money to see them at least fight this o justice, but no....10 million....for what?
    The nchds would likely be no worse off without them, and out of the ashes etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭take everything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 iratira

I hope people are withdrawing membership? I did years ago but it's important they understand that they took the piss too much this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭chanste

As a final year med student, I definitely will not be joining the IMO now. From the looks of some of the posts from class mates on facebook, I'm not the only one. As other people have said, there are doubtless people in the IMO who are working hard and honestly, but I hope this brings the organisation down. It needs replacing for the interest of Irish medicine.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Anthony16

ThatDrGuy wrote: »
    Dont feel bad. This year George McNiece will take home 1,992,355 euro. As head of the worst union in the country (by a mile) he is earning more than the Presidents of the USA, Germany, France , Australia, Uk , Japan , Russia , Canada and Isreal combined. But he's worth it....

How can these pen pushers still be getting away with this s***?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭OMD

Ryder wrote: »
    Excellent article in the medical Indo....as usual. I resigned from the IMO earlier. Felt a little bad about it, because it isn't the fault of the current committee and I genuinely fear for nchds if it falls.

But... And its a big but. The imo are more concerned with policy and being seen as influential see rather than getting down and dirty regarding tights. Why else would the IMO constantly have to fight fires all over the country - same ones each time, and then crow triumphantly about their victory. I would have paid money to see them at least fight this o justice, but no....10 million....for what?
    The nchds would likely be no worse off without them, and out of the ashes etc....

The IMO have failed NCHDS for so long. I laugh at members on here every so often saying what a good job the IMO do. People claiming getting a €100 here or there was a great victory.
    The fact is, the major problem facing NCHDS today is the hours they are working.
    The biggest problem last year was the hours.
    The biggest problem 10 years ago was the hours.
    The biggest problem 20 years ago was the hours.
    The biggest problem 30 years ago was the hours.
    I am sure there is a bigger disaster of a representative organisation than the IMO but for sheer incompetence in dealing with the biggest issue (and let's be honest, the only real issue) it is hard to think of one at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭palmcut

It seems that some contracts have to be honoured; yet the HSE can seemingly ignore contracts with health professionals at will.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭ThatDrGuy

Its a question of contempt. The HSE has contempt for health professionals so they break our contracts. The IMO has contempt for its members so they honour their own contracts.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 laoisdoc

I am utterly shocked at this scandal. I rang the IMO on Christmas Eve and cancelled my membership of the IMO. I have been a member for almost 20years. There are many unanswered questions and somehow I doubt if they will be answered at the meeting the IMO is organising for early January.
    • If McNeice was entitled legally to 20 million, how come a settlement has been reached for 10 million? This beggars belief and raises many more questions If he could be negotiated down from 20 to 10 million why not further
    • Who agreed to allow his annual bonus to be added to his next year's basic pay on an annual basis
    • Who agreed to make his remuneration confidential - it has been impossible for IMO members to find out the pay of IMO employees
    • We need clarification are there other confidential packages in place with other employees of IMO? Do other employees have bonuses added to basic pay for the following year
    • If the IMO is paying this from resources that are not associated with members subscriptions then what are these resources?
    • What other worms are there in the closet? EG every big IMO meeting somebody asks why the AGM is always in Killarney. At the last meeting the questioner was rubbished by a former president of the IMO. Is there some secret deal going with Killarney.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

Why were some of ye members/what do you get for being a member?

• Advertisement

It looks like its too late to sort out the questions you are asking.
    Cut your losses and leave the IMO.
    There must be a huge amount of other abuses in the ****ed up culture of the IMO.
    Its not logical that there wouldn't be.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Xeyn

Why were some of ye members/what do you get for being a member?

Less disposable income is probably the sum of it.
    They are the only recognised union for doctors in the country which is the only reason people were a member.
    They have been quite ineffectual for some time for NCHDs.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭resus

• Registered Users Posts: 22 DubDocX

laoisdoc wrote: »
    I am utterly shocked at this scandal. I rang the IMO on Christmas Eve and cancelled my membership of the IMO. I have been a member for almost 20years. There are many unanswered questions and somehow I doubt if they will be answered at the meeting the IMO is organising for early January.
    • If McNeice was entitled legally to 20 million, how come a settlement has been reached for 10 million? This beggars belief and raises many more questions If he could be negotiated down from 20 to 10 million why not further
    • Who agreed to allow his annual bonus to be added to his next year's basic pay on an annual basis
    • Who agreed to make his remuneration confidential - it has been impossible for IMO members to find out the pay of IMO employees
    • We need clarification are there other confidential packages in place with other employees of IMO? Do other employees have bonuses added to basic pay for the following year
    • If the IMO is paying this from resources that are not associated with members subscriptions then what are these resources?
    • What other worms are there in the closet? EG every big IMO meeting somebody asks why the AGM is always in Killarney. At the last meeting the questioner was rubbished by a former president of the IMO. Is there some secret deal going with Killarney.

It's an absolute disgrace and I agree, there are 9.7 million unanswered questions that no doubt will not be touched on at the meeting on the 12th, in true IMO fashion. Although I will be holding off resigning so I will still be entitled to attend the meeting!

The only reason members found out about this is because it was leaked to the press a day after the farcical press release from the president. But I've no doubt the cover up is still continuing and will do so until such time we stand up and demand answers and do not allow ourselves to be rubbished by former presidents, directors and highly paid spin doctors of the IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭dissed doc

DubDocX wrote: »
    It's an absolute disgrace and I agree, there are 9.7 million unanswered questions that no doubt will not be touched on at the meeting on the 12th, in true IMO fashion. Although I will be holding off resigning so I will still be entitled to attend the meeting!

The only reason members found out about this is because it was leaked to the press a day after the farcical press release from the president. But I've no doubt the cover up is still continuing and will do so until such time we stand up and demand answers and do not allow ourselves to be rubbished by former presidents, directors and highly paid spin doctors of the IMO.

In fairness to the IMO, they do appear to literally attempting to deal with it "on a national level" :) so don't expect anything from the 12th. They usually placate with meaningless broad statement like "on a national level" so what will they now?

"we understand your concerns"
    "your anger is valid"
    "we will endeavour to ensure you still have ongoing union representation across the country"

And a ballot for strike about broken contracts, removal of training funds, bullying by hospital management and illegal working hours? Will never happen.

It will be an managed spin doctored event with the usual pat pat easy boy approach. They will decry the amounts from the pulpit
    but say nothing about the culture of feckless apathy that generated them. They will pretend that the IMO is full of hard working crusaders
    of justice and if you all just pull together then we can rise to this challenge. Sabres rattle. Local frivolous issue that had been ignored for months will be thrust to the floor. Look - ! This is what we are going to do, this is our plan. See how we are still relevant. This is how we will reshape the future ! We will take on the HSE, the system, the government, the xxx. The speeches and recriminations and *this is the only way* will take strangely long. Lot of waffle. In the interests of the meeting please save your questions for the end. First question or two cherry picked.. issues sideline. Sorry, thats all we have time for. Duck the head, go to ground. Frenzied re-marketing campaign - more dwindling members cash blown on PR. Poor SC shot around on a whistleblown tour of RES's, - we didnt know, corruption at the top, we work so hard etc etc. .. Strike coming up next month, we are the only union. if you dont join us the HSE will eat your babies. Slowly they will rebuild, continue the cycle of contempt.. Mc Niece will get his millions, the NCHDs will eat cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ryder

To be fair, they probably do work hard. In addition to the probably limited corruption, the main problem is of trying to be all things to all men. The interests of consultants, NCHDs and GPs are not necessarily all the same, and thats the reason we dont see any proper action being taken. The lack of interest in engaging on the recent decision to cut new entrant pay reaffirmed that for me. Consultants, quiet rightly, have a job to do. NCHDs the same, but I dont think that the NCHDs hold the balance of power in the IMO, and engagement is limited at best.

I also read recently, that the IMO have a policy unit. Why? Why does a doctors unit need to formulate health policy? Its not as if the DOH can do it themselves, or take the IMOs submission into account. Plain fact is, NCHDs need a union, and the IMO isnt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 DubDocX

I agree Ryder, I don't think NCHDs hold the balance of power in the IMO but I can't imagine there is a very large Consultant membership? I'd say most consultants go to the IHCA. And the IMO can't even negotiate for GPs because of competition law? So who do they represent well? As you say Ryder they are trying to be all things to all men.

That said, as a GP, we need a strong representative body, but the IMO is not that.

I am furious with the evident corruption, at our expense - granted it is most likely limited to the senior bods, but that's no excuse.

If the organisation is to survive, there will need to be a serious reshuffle - get rid of the usual spin doctor brigade who orchestrate meetings not allowing genuine members concerns to be addressed. Who no doubt are in the midst of a serious cover up and blame game operation afraid of their lives of what else will be exposed

• Registered Users Posts: 9 laoisdoc

What we need is a whistleblower from within the IMO hierarchy to reveal what is really going on in that organisation.
    I agree with one of recent contributors that the upcoming meeting is going to be set up to obfuscate...I think the description of the upcoming meeting was brilliant and describes so many meetings I have been to

Any word from the meeting? Why was it held in mullingar? Could they not find a venue in the blasket islands? Top rte news story of the day. Even my mother thinks doctors are over paid now thanks to that ****er

• Advertisement

Yup saw that story. Not quite fair to compare a 40/50k sho/reg to a 231 k + academic consultant.
    Doesnt factor in the minimum 2k a year expenses to be a doctor with nil tax relief for these business expenses. What is the Indo's beef with doctors?
    I'm aware it's good to have any work these days and I'm not complaining but nchds do not experience anything near the lifestyle of consultants.
    Anyhow back to the IMO. Am curious also. Presume it was the usual drivel.
    Mullingar probably cos its central dunno.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭dissed doc

iratira wrote: »

Most likely because it was *not* central. Imagine how many peed-off medics would turn up if it was in Dublin? I am surprised they didn't host it on a blasket island.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭2Scoops

I heard on the news that if the IMO's membership falls below 1,000, they will lose their licence to negotiate. I doubt that it will go that far, but just imagine if it did! :pac:

iratira wrote: »

Geographically central, kind of, but the population of doctors is not evenly distributed across this fair isle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

2Scoops wrote: »
    I heard on the news that if the IMO's membership falls below 1,000, they will lose their licence to negotiate. I doubt that it will go that far, but just imagine if it did! :pac:
    How many members has it?

About 5,000, mostly NCHDs and GPs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Minus a lot following the recent issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭OMD

So every member was paying €100 a year purely to pay the salary of the CEO. But at least he was a great CEO. look at all the IMO achieved during that time, there was ..... Mmmmm let me think.......... Oh yes there was also.........

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

OMD wrote: »
    So every member was paying €100 a year purely to pay the salary of the CEO. But at least he was a great CEO. look at all the IMO achieved during that time, there was ..... Mmmmm let me think.......... Oh yes there was also.........

As a GP I was paying 200 a year towards his pay. His pension settlement is 2 1/2 times the total turnover of the union !!!
    Hard to reconcile that with the claim that it doesn't affect the financial health of the union and its viability in the future...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

dissed doc wrote: »
    Most likely because it was *not* central. Imagine how many peed-off medics would turn up if it was in Dublin? I am surprised they didn't host it on a blasket island.

Which is pretty much where they have the AGM, which always narked me when I was a member.

Advertisement