Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price mistakes in shops

Options
  • 19-12-2012 10:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭

I keep reading reviews and hearing people saying they wanted to buy an item at the advertised price only to find out it was a mistake at the till. Why are people under the impression that by law the shop has to sell this item at the lower price? I've seen people defending this urban legend of a law tooth and nail!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

Well, it'd take a while to explain, so i'll cut it down to the main point - people are retards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

lounakin wrote: »
    I keep reading reviews and hearing people saying they wanted to buy an item at the advertised price only to find out it was a mistake at the till. Why are people under the impression that by law the shop has to sell this item at the lower price? I've seen people defending this urban legend of a law tooth and nail!

Years ago I worked in Tesco and their policy at the time was to give it at whatever price it scanned at. This guy comes up to the counter with fish fingers, when scanned through the price showed up as €0.00, The manager told me to give them to him at that price as that was the policy, Yer man goes hang on a minute and went and got 4 more boxes!! Happy customer,:D but the guy who was supposed to make sure everything scanned properly got a boll1xing:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Max Power

I like the smell of firelighters

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

lounakin wrote: »

Tesco's no-quibble perhaps.

Of course they once did quite bit of quibbling when I tried to buy their roasted chicken priced at 2.99 per kg when the advert said 2.99 each. To the point where they threw me out. No quibble me arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Clarehobo

MadsL wrote: »
    Tesco's no-quibble perhaps.

Of course they once did quite bit of quibbling when I tried to buy their roasted chicken priced at 2.99 per kg when the advert said 2.99 each. To the point where they threw me out. No quibble me arse.

Where was it advertised?
    Just wondering because I worked in Tesco aeons ago and the policy was people were to get it at the shelf price: had it once and I think the guy made such a fuss that the three pack of orange juice was costing him so much more than shelf price and the manager gave it to him for free...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Boombastic wrote: »
    Years ago I worked in Tesco and their policy at the time was to give it at whatever price it scanned at. This guy comes up to the counter with fish fingers, when scanned through the price showed up as €0.00, The manager told me to give them to him at that price as that was the policy, Yer man goes hang on a minute and went and got 4 more boxes!! Happy customer,:D but the guy who was supposed to make sure everything scanned properly got a boll1xing:(

Thats funny :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭franktheplank

I'm more of a shoplifting man myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Gordon Gecko

Bitch was giving out stink on my butcher's counter today: saw a tag saying 25 euro on a roast, then I had to explain that the "/kg" right beside the price meant that I did not have to actually sell it to her at the price she "thought" simply because "no customer could read that".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

People are stupid

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Muir

My sister went in to buy something on offer the other day, there were at least 10 signs saying the item was on offer, tried to charge her full price at the till & the manager said although the deal had ended the previous day they had to give it to her on offer, and he had had to do the same with others that day because no one had taken the reduced price signs down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I worked in a place where the register system was arseways. Sometimes got stuff scanning at minus figures, so if you wanted the float to be correct you'd actually have to hand customers cash just for bringing the item to the till. We didn't though obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Asda in the North have the same policy, once bought two 16gb usb pen drives that were at the 1gb price, no arguing, its our mistake so you pay the advertised price. Nice policy, but its down to each shop to decide on their own policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Funny thing is I find 9 times out of 10 when the price is "wrong" it's in the shop's favour...wonder why that could be :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,410 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

If something is advertised at a certain price then that's the price I'm getting it,no ifs,ands,buts or maybes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

It is amazing how almost everyone who screams 'I know my rights' has no clue whatsoever about their rights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Shane-KornSpace

kneemos wrote: »
    If something is advertised at a certain price then that's the price I'm getting it,no ifs,ands,buts or maybes.

Not in my shop, you wont.

Not in my shop, you wont.

Try me bub,I KNOW MY RIGHTS.

Try me bub,I KNOW MY RIGHTS.

And what rights are they? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

Skid wrote: »
    It is amazing how almost everyone who screams 'I know my rights' has no clue whatsoever about their rights.

It's almost mandatory.
    Once had a woman scream at me that her brother was a solicitor and how dare I tell her she wasn't entitled to a refund, she'd have him in to get it from us. Yeah...still waiting on that.

Why don't you go to a used car dealer with the prices of cars stuck on the inside of the window, those cars are usually open, so take off one digit and buy that €9999 car for €999.
    No shop has to sell you anything, at any price.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Haggle.

And what rights are they? :D

Seriously do there must be a flaw in the law if a shop can advertise a low price that encourages people to put items in the basket and then charge them more at the till.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

People need to understand the difference between an advertisement and an invitation to treat. A price on a shop shelf is not an advertisement. Quite simple really.

Seriously do there must be a flaw in the law if a shop can advertise a low price that encourages people to put items in the basket and then charge them more at the till.

As the above poster mentioned, it's not an advertisement.
    It's an invitation which can be retracted at any time before the sale being complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

And what is your legal basis for that? The law protects the retailer, so that they don't have to sell TVs or whatever for €10 due to decimal points errors. It's called invitation to treat and it means you haven't a leg to stand on. Lots of shops will honour errors, but they are going above and beyond in doing so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭lounakin

There is a difference between advertising at a low price and making a mistake on the item! One is illegal and can get reported: say you go in a shop and all the items are marked a certain price, with advertisement on the outside enticing people to buy at this price and you find out it's actually more expensive, that's clearly wrong. But if you find a mistake on a label, the shop doesn't have to comply with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭irish son

Im not 100% sure but I think if the price on the shelf in grocery stores are wrong them stores can be fined heavily.

irish son wrote: »
    Im not 100% sure but I think if the price on the shelf in grocery stores are wrong them stores can be fined heavily.

Only if its proved to be a deliberate error, which cant be proved too easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭irish son

Senna wrote: »
    Only if its proved to be a deliberate error, which cant be proved too easy.

Are you sure about that? I thought it was so stores wouldn't be lax in keeping prices updated.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Price in store is only invitation to threat...

Which means that the shop owner doesn't have to sell at that price, but normally will as a gesture of good will, if they don't the customer could argue for false advertisement, but it would have to proven in court that the shop advertised a wrong price on purpose...

I'd open to be corrected now, but I've worked in retail for over 5 years

Advertisement