Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planetside 2, and why aren't you playing it

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭Varik

You can now get 3x the seven cash (the real money EU on planetside) from 1am tonight.

going to throw 10-20 on it, going to look thought store first.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,016 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

The game is also heavily CPU focused atm, needs a LOT more optimisation.

I noticed this also. I regularly run F@h and the game runs noticeably better without it, but my framerates are still relatively poor. I am however accustom to gaming on low FPS, just something I did for so many years it doesn't bother me too much in general.

I think the game might be properly multithreaded however. All 6 of my cores run at a healthy stride when running the game; or it's just the 1055t doing it's own microprocessor gymnastics.

And they announced a 1-day sale: 3x Station Cash on all SC purchases for 12/21. Whoot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

Overheal wrote: »
    And they announced a 1-day sale: 3x Station Cash on all SC purchases for 12/21. Whoot.

got 5k. should last me awhile

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

The reasons that I am not playing Planetside 2:

1 - The engine is horribly optimised. I can't seem to get more than 25fps out of it despite getting much better than that from much better looking games.
    2 - The free-to-play format makes advancement really slow and frustrating. I'd really just rather pay up front and have a less incremental MMO attitude.
    3 - Game play has no staying power whatsoever. Take a base, lose a base, take a base, lose a base. No actual impact or consequences (as if we notice any changes in resources). No rounds, no score count, no point.
    4 - Vehicles are no fun. This might just be me but I find the vehicles competely unenjoyable.
    5 - Time to fun ratio: I seem to spend a hell of a lot more time going from place to place and standing around waiting for points to capture than actually having fun.

I've been playing since early beta so this isn't a knee-jerk reaction either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

the double xp from today until the 2nd of jan will also be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Tried it but it runs like a dog on my laptop sadly. Back to Tribes and TF2 for me for now.

Anyone playing NC on ceres?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Is there a boards group or TS or clan that everyone here uses when playing this ?

(don't say the boards.ie TS, noone uses that)

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Is there a boards group or TS or clan that everyone here uses when playing this ?

(don't say the boards.ie TS, noone uses that)

Might be some small groups but as no one can decide yet on server or faction it's not likely to happen soon.

What are you playing now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Won't let me log in. Seems to have a ridiculous registration set up. Loaded up the first time and it asked me for login. Ok, clicked on Create Account. Told me i couldnt create account on American server do i want Euro one. Sure, created account. Tried to login, Station name not recognised. WTF is a station name? Click on forgot station name. Email addrress not recognised. Try the whole thing again. Click on Forgot station name, you have already done this in the previous 24hours. Play TF2

EDIT: Apparently the US launcher was distributed on Steam in EU. For those who want to fix it I made a fixit video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_Xq_D9nvfY&feature=youtu.be

FYI the station name is the us server name, for those with old soe accounts or those who did beta testing for ps2

Getting pissed off at liberators, a single aa max or sky guard is not enough to kill anyone who's not an idiot and most fighter pilots ignore them as there likely to be kill if the turret gunner is even just ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

Varik wrote: »
    Getting pissed off at liberators, a single aa max or sky guard is not enough to kill anyone who's not an idiot and most fighter pilots ignore them as there likely to be kill if the turret gunner is even just ok.

I know most fighters seem to ignore them but I find that seven times out of 10 there is no rear gunner and it makes them easy picking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

If they're good, they're also usually cowards that leg it as soon as they hear someone getting a lock on them. As a heavy assault i don't get many airborne kills aside from the occasional Scythe or a near-dead liberator, but I can sure as hell keep them from wandering into my yard. Half the time I don't even have to fire at them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

But get a friend or two and that Lib is toast; a good Lib pilot is going to start going away the moment they take damage. If not I'll unload 2x 48 shots into them taking them down a significant chuck of health and kill them shortly after.

I'm not overly happy with Libs in all situations but over all I got more of an axe to grind with ESFs (go in, do solo rocket run, zoom out at 20 to 50% health or crash if unsure you can make it to avoid giving kill credits of ESF and pilot) then Libs at this stage of the game.

Nody wrote: »

I'm not overly happy with Libs in all situations but over all I got more of an axe to grind with ESFs (go in, do solo rocket run, zoom out at 20 to 50% health or crash if unsure you can make it to avoid giving kill credits of ESF and pilot) then Libs at this stage of the game.
    I don't mind the ESFs. I had fun on the south canyon ridge of Indar the other day. We were convoying in tanks and sunderers and these NC fighters thought they could get by with divebombing us. So I tell the driver to park the sundy, load up my burster MAX, and wait... just as the feckers came to the point where I could see their cockpit and they were ready to unload their rockets, BADOOMBADOOMBADOOMBADOOM - 'splode! ESFs are extremely fragile to 2x bursters.

All the servers I have anyone on are down for the next hour :(

So vanu on miller it is.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

All the servers I have anyone on are down for the next hour :(

So vanu on miller it is.
    Vanu on Miller is da **** :p We've not lost Indar benefits since day 1 I think (10% cheaper 'nades, mines, C4 etc.).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭Br4tPr1nc3

I was thinking about giving this a download, but I've heard that its pay to win.
    can ya tell if its true?

• Advertisement

That's so far from the truth it's not funny; every weapon in the game can be unlocked with out paying anything. Even the unlocked weapons tend to be side grades rather then upgrades (i.e. trade range for more damage or less spread with out aiming etc.) and down to personal preference. There is no gold ammo or gold consumables etc. the only thing you can't get for free is different skins for your character/tank/plane.

The only thing money gets you are unlocking weapons faster (all modification such as sights, additional ammo capacity etc. is cert only) but starting weapons kill anyone just fine (I've got my fair share of BR1 killing me to prove it).

Br4tPr1nc3 wrote: »
    I was thinking about giving this a download, but I've heard that its pay to win.
    can ya tell if its true?

Not really, it's more of choice on infantry but there is some of pay to win on vehicles but it's still more of a choice. The only thing you can you buy are weapons and cosmetic stuff, the weapons are only variances or for specializing in a set role.

For example the max is a big robot armour suit that has the choice of an empire specific weapon and a choice of 2 others. you only get 1 of each with the empire specific one on the left and a choice of the other 2 on the right.

the empire specific weapon is an anti infantry weapon, a shotgun or mini-gun or halo plasma rifle looking thing.

then you can choose to have an anti armour grenade launcher or an anti air flak gun. I bought a second anti air gun which means that I can be great at anti air when needed but I can no longer can deal with anything else well.

The certs you earn by playing come fast enough and are used to improve amour/shield and give weapons add-ons such as scopes or grips. These are also used to improve vehicle handling/armour/ability, it just weapons you would have a reason to buy and then you fine without.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Definitely not pay to win, i havent spent a cent and always win :)

Nody wrote: »
    Vanu on Miller is da **** :p We've not lost Indar benefits since day 1 I think (10% cheaper 'nades, mines, C4 etc.).

Still too much pew pew for my liking and i keep trying to shoot scythes down by instinct.

got the heavy upgraded a bit, i don't tend to play him on the other sides.

Dcully wrote: »
    Definitely not pay to win, i havent spent a cent and always win :)

hah very good.

I think I may give it a try. see what i think of it.

I have started hunting em down exclusively with a mosi armed with tomcats, easy xp :D

I have started hunting em down exclusively with a mosi armed with tomcats, easy xp :D
    I took down a mossie who thought the Galaxy I was riding in would be easy pray; little did he know my skill with the side 'nade launcher and arching it on to him (pissed of pilot I tell ya!).

any esf that gets close to a crewed galaxy is asking for problems imo, just need to sit back and poke it from range... Its not like they are easy to miss, where as most esf's would be :)

The scythe would be an exception, as its profile is quite large

game's unplayable today, lag is so bad

• Advertisement

any recomendations on which side to pick?

Advertisement